Canadian Exchange Rate Question

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
What's the best way to exchange Canadian Dollars into Dominican Peso's? My friend is moving here soon so the money is still in Canada. He wasn't sure if it is best to buy U.S Dollars first then change to Peso's when he got here.
All advice welcome.

J&T

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
What's the best way to exchange Canadian Dollars into Dominican Peso's? My friend is moving here soon so the money is still in Canada. He wasn't sure if it is best to buy U.S Dollars first then change to Peso's when he got here.
All advice welcome.

J&T

There must be a few Canadian owned businesses who are interested in getting some Canadian $$. There is also someone on the beach who changes. The bank and debit card option, as suggested, is also great.

PapaGG

May 31, 2010
monies

Well, I am canadian and just got back to canada after staying in the north coast area for a month. We brought American Dollars from home, that was the only money we could use to exchange into DR Pesos. Ther debit machines worked but would only let me take out $58.00 CAN daily. That was, my VISA, MC and my own debit!!! I called the banks before I left and told them I would be in the DR. I got buy just fine, however, US dollars are KING everywere, no matter the exchange. By the way the best rate I got was 36.8 DR for 1 US dollar, thats was about 34 DR for one Canadian Loonie!!!

Hope this helps.

YUL514

Aug 28, 2010
Well, I am canadian and just got back to canada after staying in the north coast area for a month. We brought American Dollars from home, that was the only money we could use to exchange into DR Pesos. Ther debit machines worked but would only let me take out $58.00 CAN daily. That was, my VISA, MC and my own debit!!! I called the banks before I left and told them I would be in the DR. I got buy just fine, however, US dollars are KING everywere, no matter the exchange. By the way the best rate I got was 36.8 DR for 1 US dollar, thats was about 34 DR for one Canadian Loonie!!!

Hope this helps.

Hi everyone Scotia bank in Sosua.Max.10000 RD per transaction $3.00 CDN fee.
Maybe the problem was with your card.The maximum daily withdraw is too low.Ask your bank in Canada to give you a larger max withdraw.

Regards
Mike

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
If you withdraw pesos at a Scotiabank ATM from your Scotiabank account in Canada there is no fee.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
If you withdraw pesos at a Scotiabank ATM from your Scotiabank account in Canada there is no fee.
There is no transaction fee.

There is a currency conversion fee of 2.5% charged by the VISA network which is roughly the same cost that the bank will charge to buy US$.

There are some places that give a decent rate for Loonies at times but there are many that don't.
US$ and ATM are the best way to go.