Relocating a Partner ? Now the shoe's on the other foot.

Fabian26

Sep 7, 2010
Hi there, my name is Andre. I'm a 30 year old Dominican who almost 8 years ago was swept away by a Rubia from Australia. We're now happily married and planning on having our first baby.

It's quite bizarre reading some of the posts in this Forum, particularly the ones about "Relocating a Dominican". Where Dominican Men are portrayed as the terrible threat that will seduce and entice the poor unaware female tourists with their oiled up skinny bodies, gold teeth, and peroxided hair.

When if it weren't for these men, some of these women wouldn't have gone on holidays to begin with. We all know what happens on those "Girls Night Out" or perhaps one of those "Let's head down o the caribbean for a Girl's Retreat". Also, so i can spread my banter evenly. It is quite disgusting to see, creepy old men taking advantage of 16 year old girls. Men that retire to the Caribbean because they know that their own creepyness have crippled them from finding someone in their own country. Pheeww...

Now there's not to say that there are genuine couples out there that truly love each other (ahem! ahem!) We are as happy as any 8 year old marriage can be where there are days I wish i was deaf, and others when i cannot picture my life without a glimpse of her smile.

Which Brings me to the Title of this post. Now the shoe is on the other Side.

After almost 8 years of struggles, ups and downs, we've decided to return where it al began to live for good. We're now both Australian and Dominican citizens, so you'd think that the world is our oyster. Yeah right!

I'm an advertising executive and so is she, I'm currently heading up one of the country's or if not the country's biggest brand: Presidente. So needless to say that my overseas experience helped me land this role, but also keeps me away from home all day. My wife in the other hand used to run one of Australia's Biggest Car Brands: Hyundai, so she is used to high powered work environments, that are challenging and rewarding. There are no jobs like that here and we're both are now wondering wether if it was just a fantasy to come and live here :(

There will be a legal question coming. I promise!.

I would love to find out what are the legal requirements for an Australian Citizen to find work here, and perhaps to find like minded people who enjoy a bit of a laugh and some crazy rants from time to time. More importantly and tips from couples that perhaps are going/ have been through, what we're going through.

Cheers,
Andre

Reactions: Celt202

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Andre,
If she's a Dominican citizen as you stated, there should be no legal impediments to her working here. Welcome home.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
From the OP - a mite confusing?
We're now both Australian and Dominican citizens
- if your wife has Dominican citizenship her Australian citizenship is irrelevant in terms of her status for working in the DR. But is this what you meant to say? Some posters here are from Australia, like Adrian Bye, and a couple who lived in Santo Domingo for a year or two but have since returned home to Oz - can't remember their screennames though.

Welcome to DR1 and all the best with this process.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Are you currently in the DR? There are some high powered ad agencies here! BBD&O, Pag?s, and Nandy Rivas among others... If you have a portfolio, you should be able to find similar and fairly well paid work...You can at least give it a try. Surely you have family here.

Regarding the "other kinds of relations" ....well you seem to be one of those DDDs....so good luck..

HB

Fabian26

Sep 7, 2010
Regarding the "other kinds of relations" ....well you seem to be one of those DDDs....so good luck..

HB

DDDs???

The job is for my wife, not me.

I'm already employed by an Ad Agency.

No, she's does not have a dominican citenship yet. What i meant was that i had both Australian and Dominican.

Is there any recruitment office here in Santo Domingo or Overseas that we can talk to??

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
OIC.
FYI, she gets Dominican citizenship almost automatically cause she's married to you. So you can do that asap and get her a Dominican passport and cedula...you do not have to mess with residence.

If she has a similar skill set the same agencies will probably have something .....they are the people with lots of contacts in the states and Europe...

Cordially,

HB

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Wait a minute...something I don't understand here. If you are in advertising and you head one of the biggest brands (Presidente) wouldn't you be really well informed as to Dominican advertising agencies, since as far as I can see Presidente must have one of the largest advertising budgets in the country. It seems you'd know the executives at those agencies very well and talk to them almost on a daily basis. Sorry something doesn't compute for me here...