High End Computer Required

terrierist

Mar 20, 2009
I am looking for a computer dealer who carries high-end computers. I do a lot of photography / video / movie editing and reformatting and require a faster quad-CPU desktop...like an Intel i7-based computer. The best CeduCompp in Puerto Plata carries is an i3 (dual processor), and that is just not good enough.

Am I destined to import a computer, or can someone recommend a dealer who carries high-end components and/or computers. Santiago or Puerto Plata area preferred. Thank you.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Check with Omegatech in SD or Santiago.

~OR~

Build one yourself. newegg and tigerdirect have all the parts you'd need.

terrierist

Mar 20, 2009
I am amazed that you do not work with a MAC.
Things must have changed since my day.

Ah...religion...where do I start? Perhaps not at all.

Actually, I have worked with MACs, but I now prefer Windows 7. I worked with Microsoft computers for 25 years and I have grown accustomed to them. And my software investment is not insigificant so, I need a high-end Windows 7 computer.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
One thing is for sure, just about every serious photographer and lots of high video editors use Macs.

As Cobraboy suggested, go to OmegaTech if you want a PC.
They have white boxes, build your own and named brands.
They are by far the biggest in the DR.

They have 6 stores here, including Puerto Plata.

Santo Domingo
John F. Kennedy Km. 8 1/2, Los Prados
809-683-4343

Santo Domingo Este
San Vicente de Pa?l No. 22, Alma Rosa
809-593-9393

La Romana
Calle Dr. Gonzalvo No. 39, Guaymate
809-556-1313

Santiago
Calle Transversal No.14, Los Jardines
809-971-8383

San Fco. de Macor?s
Av. Frank Grull?n No.60
809-588-7060

Puerto Plata
C/ Camino Real, No. 41, Esq. Teresa Suarez, Plaza Julio Pascual
809-261-9393

Reactions: DavidZ

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Cecomsa in Santiago is an authorized Dell and HP dealer. When I bought computers for the office about 3 years ago, they were actually cheaper then dell.com for the exact configuration (probably a fluke!) and they came with a full warranty. They also have a store in SD.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Ah...religion...where do I start? Perhaps not at all.

Religion?
Not at all.
In my old business - music - people used MACs because they never crashed, they never went wrong and cost you studio time @ US$1000 per hour.
The industry standard software (Protools) was MAC and that is all anybody who was serious ever used.
Enthusiastic amateurs would use PCs and convert their files over to a MAC when they went to a proper studio.

Graphic designers and video editors exclusively used MACs as well.

So I had a string of MACs for work.

For everything else I use PCs - more compatible with the world and cheaper.

I retired a long time ago so things may have changed - I do not know.
But for music, video and graphic design I never met a serious player who used a PC.

But for me, the main reason for using PCs was having 2 mouse buttons.
Sounds ridiculous, and I know you can get MAC mouses with 2 buttons, but at the time that was a biggie.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I retired a long time ago so things may have changed - I do not know. But for music, video and graphic design I never met a serious player who used a PC.
Macs are excellent machines, but the differences in hardware and software has narrowed in recent years. PC hardware/processors/video cards have gotten vastly better and less expensive, and software has improved, even Windows. A hot PC running Linux is almost equivalent to a Mac.

You can get a PC that performs as well as a Mac but it won't be a budget machine.

MOST graphic designers and music editors in the world use PC's because they are so much cheaper in the Third World...where much of the work is being done today. Not in the NA/Europe, but the rest of the world.

If Macs were 30% discounted compared to a PC I'd buy a Mac. My laptop is a 15.6" HP that does everything I want and need...and cost $450 two years ago. The entry level Mac starts at $1000. At $700, I'd buy a Mac instead of a PC. But not at $1000.

Different strokes.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Macs are excellent machines, but the differences in hardware and software has narrowed in recent years. PC hardware/processors/video cards have gotten vastly better and less expensive, and software has improved, even Windows. A hot PC running Linux is almost equivalent to a Mac.

You can get a PC that performs as well as a Mac but it won't be a budget machine.

MOST graphic designers and music editors in the world use PC's because they are so much cheaper in the Third World...where much of the work is being done today. Not in the NA/Europe, but the rest of the world.

If Macs were 30% discounted compared to a PC I'd buy a Mac. My laptop is a 15.6" HP that does everything I want and need...and cost $450 two years ago. The entry level Mac starts at $1000. At $700, I'd buy a Mac instead of a PC. But not at $1000.

Different strokes.

Fair points - as I wondered - things seem to have changed.

And for the record I have had only PCs for the last 8 years.

One annoying thing that happened with a MAC was that I left one unused for a year after buying it for a specific recording project that was put on hold, and the internal battery that was needed to remember the date and some other important info ran dry.
Instead of being able to buy a new one and install it myself, the only MAC dealer in town charged me a fortune and sent the computer away for 3 weeks to get this simple, cheap little part replaced.
This was in a major city in the UK.

Hopefully that has changed too.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I love my MAC but I DO miss the right click!!

AE

Apple has had right click mouses for ages, I'm using one right now (Magic Mouse). You can plug any brand of right click mouse into a Mac and the right click function will work.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I personally know many switchers from PC to Mac, but not a single person going from Mac to PC and that pretty much is a global trend. Once you go Mac, you NEVER go back :)

Their build quality, reliability, innovation and support is leaps and bounds above any PC brand on the market, even custom brands like Alienware . When you really crunch the numbers and have extensive experience of using and owning both, Mac's save you money. That I can tell you from personal experience at DR1.

Corporations are so heavily invested in Microsoft licences, support and the cost of re-training, it's kept Apple out of corporate "desktop" America, although that's slowly changing.

They work better, more reliable, built better, look better, more intuitive, more productive etc.
Need I go on?

Ok, fan boy rant over! :)

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Cecomsa in Santiago is an authorized Dell and HP dealer. When I bought computers for the office about 3 years ago, they were actually cheaper then dell.com for the exact configuration (probably a fluke!) and they came with a full warranty. They also have a store in SD.

This is for sales only or repair???
Had to ship my HP to the US for warrenty repair

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
I personally know many switchers from PC to Mac, but not a single person going from Mac to PC and that pretty much is a global trend. Once you go Mac, you NEVER go back :)

Their build quality, reliability, innovation and support is leaps and bounds above any PC brand on the market, even custom brands like Alienware . When you really crunch the numbers and have extensive experience of using and owning both, Mac's save you money. That I can tell you from personal experience at DR1.

Corporations are so heavily invested in Microsoft licenses, support and the cost of re-training, it's kept Apple out of corporate "desktop" America, although that's slowly changing.

They work better, more reliable, built better, look better, more intuitive, more productive etc.
Need I go on?

Ok, fan boy rant over! :)

Alot of what you state is true, No Doubt, but Put a $2,500.00 windows machine up against a $2,500.00 Mac, the turnout will be different as far as reliability goes. You can put a $5,000.00 PC up against a $5,000.00 MAC and kick its MAC APPLE arse every single time

The majority of windows machines, just about everywhere are sub US$1,000.00 machines, likely sub US$500.00 machines a lot of times.

Now I give you MS windows has had a lot of problems over the years, and Apple OS has alway been a more stable platform, but alot of that too can be attributed to Apple creating the OS for all identical component machines, or at least far less than component diversification than MS OS has to deal with!!!!

I went to PC's because of the more complex diversity of programing that was previously available before the Apple multi OS machines, I will not go back, sorry....

Apple does build great Products, all of them and a great OS, all to their own!

g'luck

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
I just configured a MAC as close as I could to the previous above mentioned Custom PC, the MAC comes out to US$8,500.00.

It would be an interesting Bench Mark Off for sure as the MAC is running dual Xeons, kick arse that is!!!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
quad intel processor, asus motherboard, 2 pro vga cards, pro sound card, dvd-burner... none more than 6 months old and bought from a pro-gamer, who wanted even more...

new case, special coolers, special power unit, 1 small superfast HD, 2x 1TB fast HD bought from tigerdirect...

total cost... 550$

if interested I'm quite willing to name the exact parts, but would have to look them up...

I'm into webdesign, photoshop, etc... and this is a kick-ass machine...

why the hell would I need a 5,5K machine?

To the OP... look on ebay and buy some parts of a pro-gamer at 10% of the price they costed him 6 months ago, but buy HD's etc... new...

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
And

Your knowledge is limited making a comparision like that, yes you can build a $550.00 machine with all new componants, so what new parts do not make High End, the OP asked about HIGH END, $550.00 does not even buy 1/2 the proccessor in HIGH END and in Real High End will only pay for 1/4 of the proccessor.

Jeez, dude a good Graphics card starts at $350.00 - $400.00, decent $700.00 High End $1,300.00 and then multiply those by 2, 3 or 4 Graphics cards needed for the Real Deal.

And we have not even began to list prices for Workstation Graphics a PNY Quadro 4800 is $1,549.00, a PNY Quadro 5800 is $3,099.00 it goes up from there if you dare.

Rememer OP ASKED for High END not crap end

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
It's not the arrows, it's the Indian.

A powerful machine in the hands of a fool will produce foolish crap...more quickly.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
It's not the arrows, it's the Indian.

A powerful machine in the hands of a fool will produce foolish crap...more quickly.

In my time, in the beginning we learned, in some basic programing and DOS on a 286 back in '84, and certianly the adaje is the same, maybe today there is a new acronym, but then it was - GOGO!