MACs with Windows?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Robert et al, I didn't want to hijack the 'high-end computer thread' so I'm starting a new thread. I have a MAC at home, and PCs in our warehouse. My accounting software is windows based [Peachtree]. Has anyone with a MAC loaded Windows on it and successfully ran windows programs on it? Some software simply isn't available for MACs.

AE

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
verging on non-dr related...........would the computer be for use in the Dominican Republic by any chance lol

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
verging on non-dr related...........would the computer be for use in the Dominican Republic by any chance lol

Absolutely :D - the MAC is my laptop, it's always the last thing packed and first thing unpacked when we go to DR!:bunny::bunny::bunny:

AE

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
JR,
Well, I'm in DR and just bought a mango (DR related, see?).

AE,
Two of many options for you...
1) Go to Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac, Run Windows on Mac - Parallels Desktop Virtualization Software and Solutions and download their trial version of parallels. You can then load either Windows or Linux (I installed it with an Ubuntu (free) o/s a week ago). Essentially, while running your mac, you start Parallels & it opens a window within which your Windows or Linux o/s runs. You can load/run any programs you would on a pc, even drag/drop from the windows/linux window to mac o/s & versa vice.

2) Load something like logmein (free) on your desktop at work & leave it connected to the internet. Then you can log into it from your home, the beach, or anywhere else you have internet. You'll have full control of your office pc. That's the quick and easy one if you can leave your office pc running. https://secure.logmein.com/products/free/

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I run Parallels, but you have lots of options.

Never had any problems and Windows XP runs real fast on my MacBook Pro, also on one of the iMacs we have at the office. Stupid simple to use and just works.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I run Parallels, but you have lots of options.

Never had any problems and Windows XP runs real fast on my MacBook Pro, also on one of the iMacs we have at the office. Stupid simple to use and just works.

Agree. We use both VMFusion (about 80 bux) to run Windows within the Mac, and Bootcamp, which starts the system up as a Windows computer. No problems with either.

I've used Macs on repeated extended trips to the DR, and have had no problems at all. They are considerably more expensive, but if you use them extensively, you definitely get what you pay for.

PapaGG

May 31, 2010
I've run Windows on a MAC laptops successfully for years when teaching design. You simply need to partition your drive and install the Windows software there. Then when you launch or start up your machine you have to hold a specific keyboard pattern down and your MAC will launch from the PC Windows side.

I has been a few years since I've dome this, so you may have to find the details in a Google search