Need advise on resort and excursions

lupilin7

Sep 8, 2010
This is the 2nd time I'm going to Punta Cana, Bavaro. The first time I stayed
at Bahia Principe where I had a very good experience. Now I can get a good deal I was told on the Elegance and the Iberostar. Does anyone recomends one over the other one? Please I need advise....
Last time I was there I took one tour to the capital Santo Domingo with the
resort tour operator I don't remember the name of the company,not that I had a bad time the tour operators were courteous, however the group was too large for my taste and it seemed like it took for ever to leave the area of Bavaro(too many stops, too many people) A friend suggested to hire somebody private, is there anything in between?

nicholas1

Sep 4, 2010
Hello,
If you are getting a good deal on both those resorts u really have two good choices. They both have a very good reputation! So u can't go wrong. The only thing is the Iberostar is more remote than the Elegance, the Elangance is closer to el cortecito and friusa, the little towns there which u might want to visit.
happy travels

I have also done the tour-operators at the resorts and I have enjoyed them they are very courteous is true, but like you I found them to big for me. I did a tour with an independent tour-operator and was very satified. I would suggest "see more tourism excusiones" They are on the DR1 directory they work with smallergroups.

nicholas1

Sep 4, 2010
for ur veiwing pleasure. When u get to DR try this trip

;)
nicholas1-albums-more-isla-saona-picture265-img-3321.jpg

nicholas1-albums-more-isla-saona-picture266-img-3322.jpg

nicholas1-albums-isla-saona-2-picture257-img-3304.jpg

debinatore

Apr 6, 2006
Hello,
If you are getting a good deal on both those resorts u really have two good choices. They both have a very good reputation! So u can't go wrong. The only thing is the Iberostar is more remote than the Elegance, the Elangance is closer to el cortecito and friusa, the little towns there which u might want to visit.

I think that's a little wrong, the Elegance is further north than all the Iberostars and I don't find the Iberostar location remote at all, just a 10 min. taxi ride to Fruisa, the Iberostars are closer than the Elegance to Cortecito, IMHO anyway :glasses:

Reactions: MikeFisher

debinatore

Apr 6, 2006
My opinion FWIW.... While I agree that a lot of tourists like the Saona excursion I also know that many do not and I personally did NOT get the feel of the real D.R. on that island. Upon "landing" on the island you are accosted by numerous vendors selling "oil" in jars, even rubbing it on you when you don't want it, you had to pretend to be asleep for them to stop pestering you. The ocean floor is rocky and the snorkelling there was pitiful, garbage every where and the beach was much nicer at the resort AND a heck of a lot less crowded too. Oh, and don't get me started on the starfish "plant", yes ONE whole starfish to see, which as you know is a big part of the gimmick for Saona Island. The toilet facilities were also pitiful, no TP and no running water, hmmm, how do people wash their hands when handling food? There are so many boats coming and going that it's not even safe in the water, not to mention all the pollution from the spilled gasoline. This island has taken a beating in the name of making money and hopefully the government revisits their plan to revitalize this very important section of land. If the island continues the way it is tourists will no longer want to visit there and that would be a shame wouldn't it.

All-in-all, for almost $100 a head, a 1.5 hour bus ride one-way from Punta Cana, a 2-hour catamaran ride, a 15 minute pit stop in the starfish "area", hide for 3 hours from the vendors, all-told, it's a 12-13 hour day away and you haven't "learned" anything about the "real" D.R...... no thanks. PS... Lunch was really good.

Disclaimer... The excursion run by Seavis that Kaki talks about may sway me into trying it one more time.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
My opinion FWIW.... While I agree that a lot of tourists like the Saona excursion I also know that many do not and I personally did NOT get the feel of the real D.R. on that island. Upon "landing" on the island you are accosted by numerous vendors selling "oil" in jars, even rubbing it on you when you don't want it, you had to pretend to be asleep for them to stop pestering you. The ocean floor is rocky and the snorkelling there was pitiful, garbage every where and the beach was much nicer at the resort AND a heck of a lot less crowded too. Oh, and don't get me started on the starfish "plant", yes ONE whole starfish to see, which as you know is a big part of the gimmick for Saona Island. The toilet facilities were also pitiful, no TP and no running water, hmmm, how do people wash their hands when handling food? There are so many boats coming and going that it's not even safe in the water, not to mention all the pollution from the spilled gasoline. This island has taken a beating in the name of making money and hopefully the government revisits their plan to revitalize this very important section of land. If the island continues the way it is tourists will no longer want to visit there and that would be a shame wouldn't it.

All-in-all, for almost $100 a head, a 1.5 hour bus ride one-way from Punta Cana, a 2-hour catamaran ride, a 15 minute pit stop in the starfish "area", hide for 3 hours from the vendors, all-told, it's a 12-13 hour day away and you haven't "learned" anything about the "real" D.R...... no thanks. PS... Lunch was really good.

Disclaimer... The excursion run by Seavis that Kaki talks about may sway me into trying it one more time.

nothing to Disagree on that statement.

and I am one of the people who would love to see the Parque Nacional de Este closed for any public or Boats for a at least 5 years time period, while the Pro's could work on regeneration of the Underwater life aropund Saona Island during that Time, and afterwards open it only for by numbers and vehicles restricted Operations, of course only Electro engines allowed etc etc etc.
much of Saona Island can never be recovered anywaysm dead for ever,
but at least there's a chance to keep a healthy Jewel on the SE Shores, but not under the masses of Boats and people trampling down and polluting evrything on land and in the water down there.
cheers
Mike