US Bank Account, is this possible?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Just wondering if it is possible for a non-American, living in the DR, to open up a bank-account in the US, with f.e. a Visa debit/credit card, so purchases over the internet can be made (see f.e. thread about the high-end computer)

If not possible like that, is it possible if the person would have a social security number, from the time he used to work in the US?

Thanks for all the advice.

KKtraveler

Feb 16, 2010
I don't know if its possible if you are not a US citizen, but if you hold a valid SS number, I would think so. The only thing is they require a mailing address. And usually proof that you live at that address. a electric bill, rental agreement or lease, etc. If you have those items I would say yes. Try this card, https://www.rushcard.com/index.aspx
You can fund it with Paypal, Direct deposit, mail a check or send Western Union, it is a visa debit card issued by Chase bank. You can also link Google Adsense accounts and others to receive those payments as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: rubio_higuey

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
If you are just looking for a card for internet purchases (when, I assume, your DR based card might be questioned) why not consider American Express? They have an office here in SD - and the cards are accepted at all high end stores.

Might be easier for you.

Reactions: waytogo

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
I believe it hasn?t changed. A non US citizen without SSN can open a US bank account, but have to travel to the US, walk in do the application and hand over two copies of IDs and bank reference. I have done it I have no SSN. If the bank accept an application without a bank ref. from another bank I wouldn?t put my money there.
With a SSN it should be possible to do it online, you probably still have to send the documents. A quick call to one of the big banks would give you the exact details.

Last edited:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I was able in the past to add my Dominican sister-in-law to my current account and get a card in her name on my account. I actually opened the account and keep the credit limit low solely for that purpose, using it only occasionally to keep it active.

I did this as an emergency measure in case something came up in the DR and she needed money.
I of course control the credit limit.

In case that gives you any ideas of other options. She has no SS number.

A SS number is your?s for life.

Sending in the payments to such an account might be a little difficult.
(I do on-line transfers)

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

Nov 27, 2002
www.compunorma.com
Us bank account

It is possible but not with every Bank, I traveled to Florida, i am german, the only bank which did it without any problems was Bank Atlantic. Other Banks like Chase or Bank One wanted a deposit of 5000 US$.

Bank Atlantic was very friendly i i could walk out with my new Debit Card after 20 Minutes.

All you need is a valid Passport.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I don't know if its possible if you are not a US citizen, but if you hold a valid SS number, I would think so. The only thing is they require a mailing address. And usually proof that you live at that address. a electric bill, rental agreement or lease, etc. If you have those items I would say yes. Try this card, https://www.rushcard.com/index.aspx
You can fund it with Paypal, Direct deposit, mail a check or send Western Union, it is a visa debit card issued by Chase bank. You can also link Google Adsense accounts and others to receive those payments as well.

I looked at this, but they say they do not accept money orders from organisations outside of the US. So I suppose that means they will not accept Western Union for the DR?

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
The above was Belgiank's post but I was logged in...just for the record ;)

But going further on this, which instance(s) we address to to have that SSN again, we don't find it back in our papers so we need to call it up again.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
You can open a US$ account in the DR and get a US$ credit card from that bank. . Even a Euros account is possible. Just give your EPS address in Fl. as you billing address. No problem with Buying with your US$ credit card anywhere in the US including eBay etc. Been doing it for years. I deal with Popular for US$.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
You can open a US$ account in the DR and get a US$ credit card from that bank. . Even a Euros account is possible. Just give your EPS address in Fl. as you billing address. No problem with Buying with your US$ credit card anywhere in the US including eBay etc. Been doing it for years. I deal with Popular for US$.

I do exactly the same and never had my Banco Popular card declined, eBay, Amazon, Zappos etc :)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I do exactly the same and never had my Banco Popular card declined, eBay, Amazon, Zappos etc :)
There are a large number of internet vendors who won't sell to a non US/Canadian credit card holder. This is true even for many ebay vendors. Amazon and Zappos are fine.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Sure, but 90% of the people here that need to buy online from the DR shop at the major brands. So a local US$ card is an excellent solution. As I said, I have yet to get declined by an online vendor.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
There are a large number of internet vendors who won't sell to a non US/Canadian credit card holder. This is true even for many ebay vendors. Amazon and Zappos are fine.
And some vendors will not ship to "Freight Forwarders".
Tiger Direct being one of them.

So, you need to keep that low key when you order things.

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
And some vendors will not ship to "Freight Forwarders".
Tiger Direct being one of them.

So, you need to keep that low key when you order things.

That's one good thing about EPS, it looks like a regular shipping address.
Have ordered stuff from TigerDirect in the past without a problem.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
OrangeING.com Its not a US co., its a Swiss bank but you can set up account online. Also the General Motors Bank, allybank.com, allows you to set up an account online. Criteria? Dont know, go to the website and see.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
OrangeING.com Its not a US co., its a Swiss bank but you can set up account online. Also the General Motors Bank, allybank.com, allows you to set up an account online. Criteria? Dont know, go to the website and see.

Every US online bank I have ever looked at requires a SSN to setup an account.
I thought that was part of the Homeland Security Act?

TheHun

May 4, 2008
You should be able to open a virtual credit card online if you have a DR visa or master card.
I know few online poker players who are doing it because the US online poker providers won't take DR cards - but no problem with the virtual one. :surprised

Most US banks ask for soc.sec.# OR TAX ID#, which foreigners can have. That's how illegals can have bank accounts and drivers license.
You can open a freight forwarder account and use the address as your US address, so you will receive your monthly statements.

I think the easiest way is the virtual credit card though.

The Hun

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
That's one good thing about EPS, it looks like a regular shipping address.
Have ordered stuff from TigerDirect in the past without a problem.

Over the past 10 years, I've bought computers, telephones, hard drives etc. from both Tiger Direct.com, Geeks.com, without any problem. I even had Tiger ship to an address in NY. For that one, I had to call their office. But once identified as a long time customer, piece of cake. You must remember to give the physical address and not the PO box.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Robert, you have credit card of Banco Popular. Not possible with prepaid cards of Popular or BHD, only with Leon.
Credit cards are not recommendable to use for Internet payments, as for security. Prepaid cards, yes, you deposit so much, and pay for the items.

We are not talking about pre-paid cards.

Millions of transactions are processed online annually using credit cards.
It's more dangerous using your credit card at a gas station than online.