Essentials to bring from US, have one last shopping trip!

losflor

Sep 4, 2010
Hi

Am picking up few things from TX before I move over to DR for 6 months-1 yr.

Any real essentials I need to pick up before I come?

Can you find the Nat Geo Adventure map of DR over there???

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
My BEST thing is the LED headlamp which makes getting about in the dark - while searching for the other flashlights!- easy. Also makes reading in bed while travelling a pleasure since reading lamps beside the bed are not common.

And good shoes - good walking sandals - NOT leather which gets mouldy and cracks. Very hard to find here.

Your laptop - all up to date. Your IPOD, ditto since the ambient noise can drive one insane.

And three or more swimsuits.

I also like the camping travel towels that dry easily and pack up small - great for traveling.

Lucky you to be coming here for a year!! Welcome!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Toothpaste and good soap (you can get both here, but we always buy some when in the states) Shaving cream; OFF bug repellant. Really heavy Sun Screen.. They have 70 and even 100 now....great to have.
Ibuprofin or anyother headache pills. If anyone knows you have them they will be begging you for some all the time. We buy Walmart's 500 packs of 500 mg..

Bandaids (a good first aid pack is important).

cast iron skillet if you like cooking. ( you can sell it for new when you leave)

Knives if you cook. Local stuff is not really very good.

Underwear; Always seems to wear out fast here.

socks--same thing

Crocs and good sneakers.

Deodorant. Dominicans dispise people who smell.

HB

losflor

Sep 4, 2010
Flashlight, check!

We don't seem to have much luck with flashlights, my Maglite broke and we did have a real heavy duty dive light - we broke that too.

Can we buy Maglites there, worried about heavy luggage already!

The Nat Geo do a waterproof fold out map of DR...but not sure still available...

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
All good advice so far but all have forgotten you need to bring a

Sense of Humor!!

Bob K

losflor

Sep 4, 2010
Not sure husband will let me bring a skillet, I already have three in storage back home in UK.
But should I bring my light weight pans?

We're moving over from Mexico, and can't get good knives or pans here either.
My last knives came from Amazon with my salt and pepper grinders and Srewpull corkscrew!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Flashlight, check!

We don't seem to have much luck with flashlights, my Maglite broke and we did have a real heavy duty dive light - we broke that too.

Can we buy Maglites there, worried about heavy luggage already!

The Nat Geo do a waterproof fold out map of DR...but not sure still available...

I am not talking about a flashlight - or a Maglight but the HEAD BAND LAMPS with the LED lights

like this one
Headlamps SALE Headlamp Flashlights & Head Band lights

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Sudafed, batteries, plastic hangers (really expensive here), good shoes, allergy meds

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Ahhh, might get one for hubby for whilst he's on the road, for tyre changing and various boat engine repair scenarios...

However I think it would be a bit of a passion killer if I used one for reading in bed...

Yes - that is probably why there are no reading lamps here!

But I have found the headlamp completely invaluable even for walking at night in the Capital (wierd gringa coming) so that you do not fall into the potholes the size of goats......

and, of course, for FINDING the other flashlights!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
All the stuff mentioned above you can get here as well. Some more expensive, others less.

As I imagine, you will already be loaded, I personally would concentrate on things like herbs, bbq-spices, other foodstuff you are particularly fond of. And yes, good kitchen knives are non-existent here.

Clothing which will soak up sweat, and if you have a big shoe-size or clothing size, bring those as well.

Welcome to the DR

May 29, 2006
Good can-openers like Swing away--Bring two- they rust.

A standard Ecco vegetable peeler. Dominicans mostly use paring knives.

A portable cooler able to carry about 12 cans of beer.

As the others mention at, least one good kitchen knife. If you like wooden cutting boards, bring one. A small knife sharpener if possible. The climate makes knives go dull faster.

Surge protectors for computers

If you are going to want any handtools, bring them. Almost all tools are cheap from China or double the US price. A four-in-one screwdriver would be great:

gnssd4bc_1_1.jpg

A small sewing kit for buttons, etc.

Small "tap" lights with LED bulbs. At least six. Better than flashlights in a power outage for some uses. Stick one above your bed and one in the bathroom.

Condiments and spices. Montreal Steak Seasoning can be traded for a wife and a canoe in some areas. Celery Salt is cherish by "Caesar" affectionados. Pure maple syrup is also missed by some ex-pats. Black pepper in the DR is usually like dust, but Dominicans are oddly picky about salt.

I also second good soap.

An in freezer ice cream maker if you like good ice cream. Dominican ice cream is mostly air and/or expensive.

Reactions: Celt202

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This may sound off the wall, but I bring washing up sponges as the good ones here are overpriced and the cheap ones fall apart the first time you use them.
Makeup removal pads - not always easy to find.
Arm and Hammer toothpaste - sometimes but not always available

Marmite - not sure you will find it in Tx (although my friend ? bient?t always does), Indian spices, pickles, good quality low-salt/low MSG stock cubes or bouillon...

I second a good vegetable peeler, chopping knives and non-stick frying pan.
Stovetop kettle
Cafetiere

I'll post more if I can think of anything later.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Is the OP going to be able to bring all that stuff that is suggested in one time over?

I second a good vegetable peeler, herbs and a good knife set.

Thats it, all the rest we bought here and sometimes it was not good (like finding a good frying pan) and you search further and finally find everything you want here but better, maybe sometimes somewhat more expensive but certainly not worth a trip over.

I brought almost 600 pills of paracetamol with me, just to find out that you can get it here also and the price is just the same, not cheaper but not more expensive either. Just another name and the dosage is different.

Toothpaste? If you really want to hold on to a certain brand, yeah, then you should definitely bring that with you but there are tons of simular brands of toothpaste to be found here in the big stores.

F.e. What the CPU is concerned, we have bought one here, brand Omega and it doing its job just fine for now already a year, cost 1,200 RDS. Now, if that breaks down, the cost for a new one is not really something to loose your sleep over.

losflor

Sep 4, 2010
Wow! Good job I am collecting a couple of 140 litre duffel bags from North Face when I'm in TX!

Knives for sure, my non stick wok/pan,

Wooden chopping board - impossible to find here too! The DR sounds just like MX.

Now over here in Mexico it's virtually impossible to fine 100% cotton sheets...I'll be bringing those too...

I have three years Marmite supply right now, which I can't bring, too heavy! Will be donating some to UK dive buddies here.

Down to last two cans of Hienz Baked Beans (bought in Belize...) Will eat those before we leave.

Good shoes - have three pairs of Birkenstocks waiting for me in Austin. My last pair bought in Germany, shipped via Belgian friends... They are $150 a pair in Mexico, do they exsist in DR???

Am excited about the move, can't wait to get there.