Some Advice about moving to DR

eunimag

Aug 30, 2010
Hola everyone!

I'm planning to be in DR by the end of this year for at least 3 months, if I like I would make DR my home, becoming a resident. I've never been to DR before, my husband yes. I would like to know where is the best location to raise a family in DR, upper class (nice, safe, quiet, where 95% owns a vehicle) I was leaning toward Punta Cana area based on my internet search. I do not want to be too close to my in-laws, they're living in Santiago and the capital is a little bit too crowded. Any advice would be great

Thanks! God Bless

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Hola everyone!

I'm planning to be in DR by the end of this year for at least 3 months, if I like I would make DR my home, becoming a resident.

Use that time to spend a little time in each place of consideration, say a month in each area ish. Then go away for a couple of months and come back, see how you feel about it then.
If you haven't been before you will not know what to expect, what is on offer or if you can adapt to your 'upper class' neighbours and surroundings, or even if you are going to get what you expect for your money.

Syl

Sep 11, 2010
Hello Bronze!

My husband and I have lived in DR for 9 months in a place that was really like an oasis in the country! We lived in Punta Cana village till June 2010, it's small, safe, clean, beautiful, quiet, surrounded by marvellous nature, it has lovely houses and appartments and some nice shops and restaurants and we could make many friends (Dominicans and from other countries). Punta Cana village or Galerias Punta Cana or La Bolera (it used to be called like that in the past) is 5 minutes from Punta Cana Int. airport.
Well, feel free to ask me any questions that you want. God bless you! SYL.

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com
Hola everyone!

I'm planning to be in DR by the end of this year for at least 3 months, if I like I would make DR my home, becoming a resident. I've never been to DR before, my husband yes. I would like to know where is the best location to raise a family in DR, upper class (nice, safe, quiet, where 95% owns a vehicle) I was leaning toward Punta Cana area based on my internet search. I do not want to be too close to my in-laws, they're living in Santiago and the capital is a little bit too crowded. Any advice would be great

Thanks! God Bless
Wow!, it all depends, where are you moving from and what lifestyle you are used to? Life in the DR can be pure heaven or it can be pure hell - it depends on what your background and expectations are. If you have $$$, then it may be fine. If you don't and you are not accustomed to poverty, an environment of crime, traffic, dirt, dust and pollution then think twice. Seriously, visit the place first, spend some time, then think about it.........

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Depends what "Upper Class" you are used to.
the above mentioned Punta Cana Village is a good place for comfo living if you do not need a Beach or much possibilities to be out of the house in the Eves, but I would range it in the Upper Mid Class, Upper Class would not live there most likely.
I find PC Village one of the most Boring Places to live around PC.

like yachtmaster said,
if you never been in the DR, forget about a Move in the first place and just rent for a few months each at different Locations, rent a Condo at Cap Cana Marina, check out Casa de Campo on the South, check also out the Capital City, where the Upper Class lives it is sure not 'crowded', they build their properties Upper Class Styled Spacy, I would also say look on Santiago, but I can fully understand your wish for Distance to the Inlaws, lol, mine are in Santiago and we are in PC, ha ha.
the Mainpoint may be the definition of Upper Class.
and the first thingy is of course to Live down here for a longer while before considering a Move.
in case that Move will be done/planned b/c the Husband is Dominican, then I would guess the Upper Class Husband knows the appropriate locations better than we here on the Bord could advise of course.
good Luck
Mike

Bklynny

Jan 29, 2009
mrsmangu.com
Just my two cents

From someone who plans to move to the DR as well.......

For what it's worth, I absolutely agree with the advice of visiting and spending time before making any definitive plans on where to live. There are so many threads on this site regarding a move to the DR and an absolute wealth of information here. Your question on "where is the best place" has been asked by so many people -I strongly advise that you read, and read, and read, and listen to everyone on DR1.com.Take the time to digest it all and get to know the pros and cons of any area you're considering.

My husband and I travel to the DR as much as possible and definitely plan to move at some point. There have been times where we thought for sure that we have found exactly where we want to live, yet we then come across another area or proyecto that we love and we reconsider. We have friends who bought un solar on impulse in what they considered absolute paradise. Lo and behold it has been a nightmare for them and they are so sorry they acted so quickly. We have other friends who purchased a home in an area they thought they loved and now wish they could move to a quieter, "away from the throngs of tourists" area. The list goes on and on. I would venture to say that every ex-pat knows people in the same situation. We have chosen to visit regularly, look at different areas in the north, south, east, central, etc. The only thing we are sure of, after a number of years of looking, is that we will absolutely, definitely, stay far from the family (many posts here on that as well). Once we do finally make the decision to move we will rent and spend time in the area we choose before putting our hard-earned money into something permanent. We may decide that the area we are renting in is not for us either and end up renting in another part of the country. I would suggest to anyone that they do the same - I am no expert by any means but again, just my two cents. Take the time to read the threads here and you'll be so happy you did.

Reactions: woofsback

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it.

Keep us posted as to where you rent and how you like it.

I can appreciate not wanting to live too close to the in-laws, but I'm thinking that Punta Cana is a very long way from Santiago. I agree that Santo Domingo is crowded [and where my in-laws all live]. If you want to be near a beach, think about south coast too, or the north coast [Punta Rucia is spectacular and unspoiled]. I don't want to live around the corner from some of my my in-laws either, and I do love them, but in case of an illness or emergency I wouldn't want to be a 6 hour drive from them either. Of course, if you have school-aged children you need to be near good schools, so that limits your options. Outskirts of SD are lovely too, but getting kids to school with all the traffic could be impossible.

AE

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Punta Cana Village is an ideal place to raise a family. But as Mike says, it is middle/upper middle rather than upper. Upper are in the more exclusive developments like Tortuga Bay/Arrecife or Cap Cana but these would be boring for kids.

The advantage with PCV is that you're in the same complex as the school and facilities like shops, restaurants and cafes - all within walking and cycling distance. The nearest beach (Playa Blanca) is only 4kms away so accessible on bicycle or a short car ride. Children (from a certain age onwards) can go out independently and play with friends in the communal areas. There is a sense of community here in that people get to know each other very quickly and also look out for each other.

The Grupo Puntacana organises some community events like Trick or Treat at Halloween, various activities in the run-up to Christmas and Carnival, and occasional free events like a concert by a youth orchestra, ballet and fashion show which have all contributed to that.

We've lived here for 2 years, have a child at the school and feel very much at home here.

Last edited:

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
I agree that PC Village is a great and safe place to raise young children. The kids can play outside on their own, and it is just a short walk to a good school. I can also say that the village is a very boring place to live. I am in my 20's, and find that I am always looking for excuses to leave the village, especially on weekends. Playa Blanca is very close, and it is only a short drive to Bavaro to enjoy some fun and nice beaches. As long as you are going to have a car, you should be able to find enough things to do to entertain yourself. I recommend you spend a few days at the village checking things out before you decide to make it your permanent home...also check out the school for your kids.