Lightening strike, how lucky am I!!!!!!!!!!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Am sort of recovering although my head feels like it has been hit with a baseball bat from every direction.
Was walking down the street with my daughter in my arms, this craxy storm cam out of nowhere and started pouding. Anyway,,,,, I was cantering for the house as I have become some Dominicized I am also now affraid of rain. I saw a strike of light hit the road infornt of me about what seems 50 mtrs away but it knocked me and my daughter to the ground and I am in the stages of a recovery for the biggest headache I have ever had (that is something in itself considering the hangovers I had in my time).
We are fine but how close do you need to be to these things to do some real damage? maybe I'm also close to winning the lottery, but never quite happens, lol.#
Discuss, crazy weather experiences!!

Reactions: mike l

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Glad to hear you are okay!

It depends on the power of the strike.

Once lightening hit the side of my house as my wife was getting out of the car on the same side as the strike.

She was about 30 feet away, the neighbor across the street saw it happen.
She only had her hair stand up.

You were probably closer then then you think you were, could have been a dual/split strike.

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I'm actually feeling worse and worse by the moment, my head...............................Phwoa!!!

My daugher is uncharacteristically crying for no apparent reason, what a day!!

I think I'm gunna order a film and go to bed with a pint of hot chocolate.

Another wierd thing is my dog is affraid of thunder, but he is 8 year old and I would have thought he would be used to it living here, cowering under the chair outside scratching like hell to get in the house, he has never even seen the inside of the house and never will, but thinks it is safe in here. What a very different day for me and everything and one around me!!

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Once in a lifetime experience, you may be terrorized now but will remember it fondly later. I remember I got woken up for a lightning accross the street, my heart was beating at 500BPM. Unreal!

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
you might not be ok even though you think you are

I think you should go to the emergency room and get checked out.

Reactions: mike l

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
you might not be ok even though you think you are

I think you should go to the emergency room and get checked out.

Taking into account that it was raining heavily, the current may have reached you somewhat through the wet floor. I agree with Adrian, get checked out if this persist.

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
I'm actually feeling worse and worse by the moment, my head...............................Phwoa!!!

My daugher is uncharacteristically crying for no apparent reason, what a day!!

I think I'm gunna order a film and go to bed with a pint of hot chocolate.

Another wierd thing is my dog is affraid of thunder, but he is 8 year old and I would have thought he would be used to it living here, cowering under the chair outside scratching like hell to get in the house, he has never even seen the inside of the house and never will, but thinks it is safe in here. What a very different day for me and everything and one around me!!

You should have yourself and especially your daugher checked out...the force of a lightning strike can be very dangerous...

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Screw the doctor! Check for mutant superhuman powers!

hahaha, no super human powers. slept for a few hours and have woken up to to X-MEN on the TV, may be a sign. My daughter is still sound asleep. I think we are fine but will see the doc if I spout blades out of my fingers or turn blue through the night.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
hahaha, no super human powers. slept for a few hours and have woken up to to X-MEN on the TV, may be a sign. My daughter is still sound asleep. I think we are fine but will see the doc if I spout blades out of my fingers or turn blue through the night.

i still think you should go; a dominican doctor is better than no doctor. you may have some internal bleeding or something which causes you not to wake up tomorrow. probably you're fine, but why take a chance on it?

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
I don't know if what happened is lucky or just something to add to your list of "unlucky" situations you have had in the last year.

Hope you and your daughter are really ok.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
OMG, You poor thing! The increasing head ache is a bit worrying, i sympathise with your daughters crying, its awful when children cant communicate why they are upset. If you dont feel any better tomorrow please go and see a doctor, i do realize they will probably tell you to jump up and down ten times and find an ants nest to roll around in while wrestling a goat or something as a cure but its better than nothing.

Maybe its worth looking it up online for similar stories and or side effects from such an experience.

Hope you feel better soon x

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
How Close?

Ask Lee Trevino. I once saw a guy on Johnny Carson who had been hit three separate times in his life.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
there is a story on the internet, but cannot find it right away, about a guy being hit more than 50 times in his life...

we lived here a week, when a thunderstorm broke out, and all of a sudden all lightbulbs exploded, smoke coming out of the sockets, and afterwards we noticed a 1TB, brandnew HD smoked to hell... apparently our landlord of one week, never grounded the house and lightning hit the invertor, and fried it...

the landlord sent his "electrician", whose brilliant idea was to test the wires by wetting his fingers... euhmmmm... one week later still no electricity, and we got the verbal agreement of the owner to use the electrician of our choice... he discovered after 5 minutes, the invertor was fried, and most of the wires in the house were as well... so we got the invertor repaired, the wires replaced, and the place grounden, and a written confirmation from the electrician the owner was very lucky we were there and cut electricity or the place could have burned down (wooden cabana)... cost of all this, a measly 11,000 rds

the owner said we were to blame, and he was not going to pay, and in the end forced us out... :bunny:

most frightening experience... me living as an exchange student in Illinois, and beign outside on the porch with a tornado warning... 3 tornados were passing over the village, and garbage cans started flying around my ears... this was the time I decided as a newbie hiding under the concrete stairs was not such a bad idea after all...:squareeye

during that year I worked at A&W and according to the firedepartment we had to seek shelter underneath the counter, in case of a tornado warning.... who of you guys remember the heavy glass mugs for their rootbeer, in freezing cold watter? Like hell I was going to seek shelter underneath several hundreds of pounds of papa, mama, and baby mugs...:bunny:

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the Kid is behaving/crying unusual after such happened??
heck, name me one single reason why you not been at a doctor to check at least the Kid before YOU took your Nap??
sorry if I come over some kinda Rude,
it is not without Intention.
to avoid such the next time simply listen to some warnings and IF you urgently need to leave the House on Days with bad weather warnings, don't Force you children to acompany you.
so did ya get the lil one checked by a Med or do ya let him/her Cry??
Sorry Guys,
but I do not see much logic Human Sense Nor Education on the above description and some answers.
and that on a Bord where People discuss which Med Insurance would be the Best for the Family.

Mike