Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Downtown Puerto Plata- any place at all decent?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Downtown Puerto Plata- any place at all decent?

I've been searching extensively for a place to stay in downtown Puerto Plata short-term (a few days) this winter.

Everyone seems to recommend Playa Dorada. However the hotels located actually downtown are scorned as 1) seedy, 2) run-down, or 3) of ill-repute.

Is this true? I like to walk and would like to be downtown. We are Spanish speaking and so language is not an issue. In fact, I would prefer a Dominican owned and Dominican-run hotel.

If you have one to recommend, which is pleasant, not used for illicit liaisons, reasonably priced and within walking distance of public transportation, I'd love to hear about it. Also, please include a website or email and current phone number. Most of the places I've researched downtown do not seem to have updated info on the web.

Thank you!
    Juanita R.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Juanita,
    No one responded to my post a few days ago, so this is I guess an 'unknown'. But perhaps worth checking out
    http://www.dr1.com/forums/north-coas...rto-plata.html

Location on map http://www.hostels.com/maps/hostel-villa-carolina/45008

And I just found this information on Lonely Planet.
    The photos look very nice http://hotels.lonelyplanet.com/domin...!57.59.27.4.52!!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I've stayed at the sunshine hotel in pop. About 100 Metres past the intersection for the melon and the main through road going into pop from sosua direction. It looks a bit like a 70 road movie set but is well run, clean and has a little restaurant that does good chicken chow mein. I paid about 1100 pesos per night, nothing at all flash and I think a week there would be more than enough, but it does the job.

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

you may try hotel KMA, well, not a hotel, more like apartments to rent for short term. nice, clean and i hear now they have a pool too.
    located just off the main street, manolo tavarez justo and right opposite jose luis supermarket.
    HOTEL PUERTO PLATA
    not sure how updated their info is...

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Will this be your first time staying in Puerto Plata?

Their is a major difference between staying at Playa Dorada and downtown Puerto Plata.

Quote Originally Posted by Juanita R. View Post
    I've been searching extensively for a place to stay in downtown Puerto Plata short-term (a few days) this winter.

Everyone seems to recommend Playa Dorada. However the hotels located actually downtown are scorned as 1) seedy, 2) run-down, or 3) of ill-repute.

Is this true? I like to walk and would like to be downtown. We are Spanish speaking and so language is not an issue. In fact, I would prefer a Dominican owned and Dominican-run hotel.

If you have one to recommend, which is pleasant, not used for illicit liaisons, reasonably priced and within walking distance of public transportation, I'd love to hear about it. Also, please include a website or email and current phone number. Most of the places I've researched downtown do not seem to have updated info on the web.

Thank you!
    Juanita R.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all who have responded. I realize there is a big difference between Puerto Plata and Playa Dorada... Playa Dorada doesn't sound too appealing to us, because we don't want to be near the tourist spots. Basically we're looking for a place where one can walk, catch public transportation to "the sights" while enjoying the water's edge. Sunshine Hotel is apparently noisy. What about Apart Hotel Lomar? It's on the maleco'n... does mean it will be inundated by various forms of misbehavior at night?
    I've also read about one called Victoriano; does anyone know anything about it? Gracias anticipadas

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Juanita R. View Post
    ....Basically we're looking for a place where one can walk, catch public transportation to "the sights" while enjoying the water's edge...............

Apart Hotel Lomar? It's on the maleco'n... does mean it will be inundated by various forms of misbehavior at night?......
    I have stayed at Lormar but for some reason I don't think you will like it.

Just curious but what "sights" are you interested in seeing and are you familiar with the public transportation system in PP? Maybe it is just me but after two days in downtown PP there isn't much to do.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

A few days in pop will be more than enough to do and see everything, going from your posting though are you sure pop is the place for you? What you require doesn't really seem on the cards with pop.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm. Why wouldn't I like Lomar? I did look at KMA's website, and it looks really nice. But how far is it from downtown?

As far as why POP is under consideration, it's because I figure that from there we can do day trips to the telefer'ico/cable ride, Sosua , the Jewish quarter and cheese factory, the Museo de Ambar, Isabela where C.Colo'n discovered America. After we are done in the POP area, we would then move on to Punta Rucia and Monte Cristi a few days later.
    Doesn't that sound like a plan?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

From what you appear to want to do, Sosua or Caberete would probably be better.

We stayed in Sosua for two months last winter and took the Gwagwa into Puerto Plata. You can then walk the Malecon, see the architecture in the downtown and visit the Museum's. The Gwagwa was about a dollar each way per person.

Sosua has a nice beach, decent restaurants, and it is easy to intermingle with the locals. You also have your choice of accomodations without being on a resort.

You will hear a lot about the seedy side of Sosua but with a "no gracias" you are free to see the town as it is; vibrant, colorful with beautiful vistas.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast