Dehumidifier

bluenose

Dec 31, 2007
Wondering if anyone finds a dehumidifier useful in their apartment/home in the Dominican Republic, for the humidity and dampness. I am moving to Bavaro in October and wondering if I will add mine to my list of goods being shipped. Thanks for any opinions.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Buildings and homes here are not sealed, so a dehumidifier is nearly useless. Besides, a/c does about the same thing.

amy111

Jun 14, 2010
I have found the moisture absorbing containers for your closet to be helpful -- they sell them in the grocery store near the laundry detergent. One brand is Hippo, another is DampRid. When I first moved here, after about a month lots of stuff in the closets (clothes, shoes, luggage) was covered with white mildew-y spots. Now I use these moisture absorber things, and combined with the a/c, no more white spots. I only run the a/c at night in the 2 bedrooms that we occupy, and I will run it in the guest bedroom once every week or so. You have to replace the containers periodically.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
We've got a dehumidifier & find it great for combating the damp problem in our bedroom - a couple of hours a day is sufficient - yes bring it - they cost over US$200 here!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I recently heard someone speculating whether using a dehumidifier + fan would be a lower energy consumption alternative to aircon. No idea if there's any mileage in that one and based on people's comments it would seem not.