Entry Requirements for Cat into Dom. Rep.

bluenose

Dec 31, 2007
I am from Canada and will be bringing my cat to the Dom. Rep. to live with me.

I have researched the requirements and found the following:

Has to have a rabies shot at least 30 days prior to arrival in the Dom. Rep. and not over a year ago.

A good health check letter from my vet dated 2 weeks prior to my arrival in the Dom. Rep.

Does anyone have anything else to add to this or does this seem to be correct?

Reactions: mike l

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I brought my cat from Phoenix to Santiago and there is more to this than what you stated. We'll take this ONE STEP AT A TIME. First, do you plan on having your pet with you on the plane(s) under your seat or in cargo, which is perfectly safe. This was the only time I brought a pet here and I had to jump through hoops...
What airline are you taking, the size (area) under the seat is different from airline to airline
and this is important to know if you plan on having your cat under the seat, and how many pounds is your cat for pet carrier size? We'll start with this info....

Reactions: mike l and Lucille

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Yes bluenose that is all you need to bring your cat into the DR from Canada. Fly direct and do not go through the USA to avoid any problems. If you are flying Air Canada, the cost is about CAD$50 for your cat as a carry on and you must book your cat a ticket. The airlines all have different cat carrier dimensions, so make sure yours fit their criteria. When we landed in Puerto Plata, we picked up our luggage and walked out. There was nobody in the office to look at our cat and we weren't about to wait. PM if you want more info. Glad to help you out as we had a million questions as well. It was much more simple than we expected.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
I too wouldn't recommend going through the States. We flew in from the US with 2 cats and a dog, all under the seats in front of us (considered carry-on luggage). We had no problem, but that is because we were leaving the US. I've heard that you have to quarrantine your pets for quite some time when you return to the US, I don't know if this applies if your just flying through. When we arrived in Puerto Plata it took about 15 minutes worth of paper work ( just rabies cert. and vet check docs) and we were on our way. The official was actually very nice and friendly. There are differing opinions, but if you can avoid putting animals in the cargo hold I would, it's not supposed to be pleasant for them :ermm:

PapaGG

May 31, 2010
cat

Hi,

I do not have a cat but a small Pomeranian Dog. I spent all of this past August in the DR (North Coats) area. I flow from Canada.

Here is what "WAS" required. You need to have all your shot up to date (they can be older than 30 days) so long as they are still good. You will need a letter from your vet, we got ours about 5 days before we left.

I paid $10 US when I landed in POP airport (that took a whole 7 minutes to go through).

As for flying with your pet, they will "NOT" let you put you pet in the cargo area during the very hot DR summer months... they said it is to hot and will most likely expire the dog or cat.

So we had to take him as carry-on ($50 each way with WestJet). You can buy a small material carrier at any pet store, look for the ones that say for an air plain on them.

HINT: we gave out dog (9 lbs) one kids Gravel Tablet, 1/2 hour before we took off, this worked great. That was vet recommended by the way.

Hope this helps.

bluenose

Dec 31, 2007
Thank you all for your information.

Waytogo - I shall be flying Westjet and have the carrier that is sold and approved by them as far as dimensions. My cat will be going in the cabin with me.

Unfortunately I cannot fly direct. I plan to take her around November with me and the east coast here in Halifax only has direct flights from February until May. I will have to do a connector through Toronto or Montreal, but hoping it will go smoothly.

All her shots will be up to date within the next few weeks and I will get my letter from the vet about a week before I go.

Thanks again for your input.