Customs & Duty Taxes

bluenose

Dec 31, 2007
I am relocating to the Dominican in October and will be shipping my personal goods in the future.
In order to be exempt for the duty & taxes as it will be my first time bringing my personal goods into the country, do I have to have my Residency Papers or can I just have proof that I have applied for them?

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
taxes n duties

I am relocating to the Dominican in October and will be shipping my personal goods in the future.
In order to be exempt for the duty & taxes as it will be my first time bringing my personal goods into the country, do I have to have my Residency Papers or can I just have proof that I have applied for them?

no you most first get your dominican temporary residency and then get shipped here once you have received your DR. Cedula ID Card at long with the dr residency temporary card.

zoey_kat

Feb 2, 2007
I was told that you must have your temporary residency and you must bring in the container within 6 months of receiving residency. Some people on DR1 have indicated that they have brought in their containers duty free after applying from residency. I asked our lawyer (Guzman firm) if this was correct and they told me no. Perhaps those people were just lucky. The time I have been quoted in order to obtain temp residency is approximately 5 months.

Hope this helps!