I find the Dominican Republic an embarrassment sometimes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ContessaMartiana

Sep 14, 2010
I apologize if this may offend some people but I have my reasons for feeling like this. First of all, I am full blooded, born and raised Dominican now living in the states. Even though I was born in the US, I spent most of my life in the DR. I'm now in my early 20s (if that helps). I take pride that my country has a rich history, are fine sportsmen, have delicious cuisine, the women can be beautiful, the people are very alive, and the land is beautiful (I'm from Samana). But the negatives kinda outweigh the positives: We are practically a "wh*re-country" as a Japanese classmate once stated when one class was discussing Dominicans, teen pregnancy (on my last visit I got asked why I didn't have kids yet) most Dominicans are racially in denial (even the Dominicans in the states), "gringo-worship", and the list would go on and on except I'm merciful. And I wouldn't be saying any of this if it weren't remotely true.

I'll say it: I'm a black/mixed race Dominican (light brown skin and the stubby nose) and I feel very embarrassed when I see Dominicans bashing on haitians because they are "darker" when many Dominicans look black, regardless of skin color. And no, I'm not saying I look haitian or I'm ugly (as many perceive blackness/haitians), I'm actually quite pretty (not being conceited or anything-I get complimented a lot). It just feels really stagnant and hypocritical. No, it is hypocritical. You don't see the other caribbean nations confused about what they are. But we have made a whole mumble-jumbo out of nothing. Some may argue that some Dominicans look "Indian" because of Taino blood, but lets be real here, I the whole tainos being alive thing or people having their decent nowadays is at most, bull. I have been to Africa 4 times on holiday and I have seen many of them look Dominican! Some have the tall and or small, "Indian" nose, some are golden brown, some are fairer, and some are dark. Historically, most of the population, if not almost all, wouldn't be there if black slaves weren't exported there in the first place. And neither would have our culture been the way it is. And the racial in denial thing is on par, because a lot of Dominicans think the whiter you are, the more attractive you're seen as, even though a lot can look like sh*t. Even my own family, which is very mixed (from the palest to the darkest) view dating/marrying white people as climbing the social ladder. When a Dominican is asked what their race is, they go on and say they are Spanish or just Dominican. I hate to be politically correct, but Dominican is a term for a nationality. Most DRs are mulatto for god's sake. Yes, there are white dominicans, but they are the minority in the island.

What bothers me most about the DR is the sexual innuendo there. Yes, it is a man's paradise, with all the willing women there. An average woman's paradise for all the sankies there. A pedophile's holy grail, with girls as young as 9 selling themselves for some pesos (when I was 10 I had a classmate that became the "mujer" of a 76 year old man, she was 9 and became pregnant @ 12). And a polyginist/polygamist's eden. These facts are represented in continuous human trafficking and sexual reports. And has practically the reputation of having some of the world's biggest p*tas. Brazil gets known for having it's reputation of beautiful women, ours is usually baseball or the women & the open sex. I agree with everyone, sex is a good thing, but come on now, when I think of other nations I don't think that of embarrassing things like this.

In a previous class we were discussing my country and the discussion was quite fair. We discussed it's history, the people, the culture, the economy, you named it, we discussed it. But when we were discussing the countries reputation, all the things I just wrote came up, the teacher & everyone in the class agreed with the countries perception as a "wh*re-country", even the Dominicans. The Dominicans guys in my class seemed so proud of this fact, while most of the people just looked in disdain, including the teacher. He asked us, the Dominicans in the class what we think , and for the most part we were shocked:surprised, especially when even the foreign exchange students said that's the first thing they think when they hear Dominican Republic. Even a kid from Yugoslavia, one from Japan and another from Bangladesh agreed and uttered statements. I thought, these people don't know what the heck they were talking about until the statements from their mouths came out were true. And even though I've known this fact for years, it hurt even more to hear it from other people, especially foreigners. This is how we are perceived. And the high birthrate among Dominican girls in the states is not helping either.:disappoin No, the class is not full of DR haters, we discuss all world cultures equality. But does anyone feel like this. I love my country, but at the same time, I can help but feel ashamed of not what I am or the culture but what it is now.

I apologize for the preposterous length of this, but I wanted y'all to know where I'm coming from with the question before I get have torpedoes launched at me. I also apologize if this offended anyone, really.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Wow, Contessa-- more than a mouthful!

About the racism/denial stuff - in an historical context during the Trujillo times, the books were simply edited so that the people were actually TAUGHT that they were descended from Europeans and Indians... And this country is not the only place where "the whiter the better" goes on - true as far down as Grenada where I had a woman give me a classic line about her daughter's marriage "he prettier than her but she whiter". It is simply an adaptation to the history of slavery in the hemisphere.

As to being a sex tourist destination - yes, sadly, that is still true. And there are still young women who find it their only means of making a livelihood.

There are more women than men now enrolled in Universities here -- and so, perhaps, things will change.

Reactions: mike l

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Well you got off lightly - we paid for the industrial revolution with the profits of slavery!

I think every country that has a past has some skeletons in the closet.
Especially countries that are ancient.

In my (very personal) experience it is only Canadians, Americans and a hand full of Australians who are almost without doubt not embarrassed about some aspect of their country. And possibly some Swiss.

Usually the younger countries.

Refreshing to hear this point of view though, Contessa.

What about the D.R. being the most advanced independent country in the Region?

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Thank you

Wow, Contessa-- more than a mouthful!

About the racism/denial stuff - in an historical context during the Trujillo times, the books were simply edited so that the people were actually TAUGHT that they were descended from Europeans and Indians... And this country is not the only place where "the whiter the better" goes on - true as far down as Grenada where I had a woman give me a classic line about her daughter's marriage "he prettier than her but she whiter". It is simply an adaptation to the history of slavery in the hemisphere.

As to being a sex tourist destination - yes, sadly, that is still true. And there are still young women who find it their only means of making a livelihood.

There are more women than men now enrolled in Universities here -- and so, perhaps, things will change.

Thank you for having the courage to speak out. Before any torpedoes start flying your way, know that you are 100 percent correct. A wh*re country sells its women, children and natural resources down the river for immediate gain. The Dominican Republic also, however, has a heritage of bold, brave women who have opposed oppression in any form--for example the Mirabel sisters. More recently, I was told that there are networks of women who are working together to help their countrywomen. So, instead of despairing, look for organized groups who are working to stop the traffic in women and children (and yes, some men), to create shelters for abused women, to educate them and even loan them the money they need to "go straight". Bless you for caring.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Being from African descent, I can sadly tell you what Dominicans suffer of is not unique. Even in Africa, the lighter the better. I am not sure where you went in Africa, but lightening creams are sold and used everywhere.

As DR, being a sex destination, well if there is mass tourism in a poor country, it will happen. No ways around it. Thailand, for example, is well known for sex tourism and and worst as a pedophile paradise.

Be comfortable in your skin and proud of where you come from, and keep on traveling :) I am sure you will come to realize that the positive outweigh the negative.

Welcome to DR1 !

Reactions: woofsback

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
omg contessa will you be my new e-bff? agreed a trillion %. and get ready for the denialists and those who love to minimize everyone elses plight to feel better about themselves and what they do to aid it all.

*checks watch*

they are coming lol

p.s. i love the DR wholeheartedly too. i do not love any of this crap though. not one bit.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well you got off lightly - we paid for the industrial revolution with the profits of slavery!

I think every country that has a past has some skeletons in the closet.
Especially countries that are ancient.

In my (very personal) experience it is only Canadians, Americans and a hand full of Australians who are almost without doubt not embarrassed about some aspect of their country. And possibly some Swiss.

Usually the younger countries.

Guess again, we Canadians have plenty of ghosts in the closet not to be proud of like maltreatment of the natives, internment of the Japanese Canadians, Chinese Head tax, turning the Jews away before and during the second world war, Bias hiring against Ukrainian Canadians.....etc. But we have tried to make amends for all those behaviors by publically acknowledging them and officially apologizing. The OP obviously has some identity issues. Who do you think uses all those pleasure hotels, and every town larger than a village had a bordello in the past. There certainly is lots of sexual explotation in the DR, but Dominican women are also guilty of spreading their legs without using birth control and not taking responsibility for their own lives. Dominicans are Dominicans whether they have heritage from Black, White, mixed, Indian, Japanese, Chinese, Arab...etc ancesters. This discussion has taken place a million times. You are whatever you feel most comfortable as. Mariah Carry has more white blood in her than black , but she clearly feels more black.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yikes. The most coherent, well put together, statement I have seen posted is ages. Good grammar, good spelling. Lucid thoughts. This has to be a reflection of the Saman? tradition of education first and foremost.
I would love to know the last name of Condessa....hopefully one of the original families...
A great reflection of propriety and national pride.

However, while the image of the DR as a wh*re house country might circulate in some areas, I would hope that it is not as generalizes as she paints it.

Great post...

HB

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Kudos to the OP. She expressed her thoughts in an intelligent manner. Many of the same points have been made in the past and resulted in a war of insults.
Be proud of the good points of your homeland and in any small way try to improve the bad things. With your intelligence you can educate people about the positive things.

ContessaMartiana

Sep 14, 2010
Most advanced developing country?

Thank you for the compliment. As for the DR being the most advanced independent country in the region, hate to say it, but could have fooled me. Some things are developing with great alacrity, great, but at the cost of the social turmoil in the land. Everything gets more expensive, the population keeps on growing, and the poorer are getting poorer and sicker: Helloooooo HIV! The government is helping create more jobs yes, but the number of unqualified people outweigh the number of available jobs. An university student from over there can fill in some of the jobs, but the majority of the youth don't educate themselves past high school and often middle school/grade school. I think a countries success is not only measured by their economy but also by the "health" of their social structure. I'm not saying no country has poor people, you need the different classes to keep social order. But in the DR, the middle class is barely keeping up (and it's very small), the poorer keep trailing back, and the oligarchy (i.e. the wealthy & even smaller group, get richer). Oh, and for what I hear/see, a lot of the money it makes is money sent from the Dominicans here in the states. Hmmm....

This country has so many resources I find it unfathomable that it doesn't have more income for all it has.

Reactions: Keith R

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
"But in the DR, the middle class is barely keeping up (and it's very small), the poorer keep trailing back, and the oligarchy (i.e. the wealthy & even smaller group, get richer). "
You are living in the US now. The same is just as true there.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
ContessaMartiana:

This is a great post, by someone native to the DR, which expresses the issues so clearly. THANK YOU for saying what needs to be said.

There is hope. The first step in solving a problem is to recognize that there is one. And you have clearly identified "the problems". I wish you the best.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Yugoslavia does not exist last 18 years...(since 1992).

Trying to find bad things about any country, is not so difficult. You should not be embarrassed regarding your own country in any way, as you are representing your country, and not opposite. There are many beautiful things about Dominican Republic that can make your proud among the other kids.
I doubt she or he to Dominican, no one will refer to the mother land the way she did. I can see this post come from a well educated English speaking person, raised in the US. But how can I be 100% sure that is not Haitian descendant who belongs to Sonia Pie's fan club.

Brown skinned persons are called "Color Mierda" in DR.

JJ

ContessaMartiana

Sep 14, 2010
Yugoslavia does not exist last 18 years...(since 1992).

Trying to find bad things about any country, is not so difficult. You should not be embarrassed regarding your own country in any way, as you are representing your country, and not opposite. There are many beautiful things about Dominican Republic that can make your prowd among the other kids.

He's from Montenegro. I deserved that, I couldn't remember that at the time I was writing this. Thanks for correcting me. I was not trying to find bad things about my country, I was STATING them. Very different. Yes, I'm aware I am representing my country, and that is why I said what I did. It matters very little what I feel/or am doing when the other millions of people that too represent it are doing the exact thing that is making the country what it is. And a country IS a representation of its people. A country represents what an entire culture of people have to offer, give to the world. How a country functions reflects how that entire culture of people work towards progress says a lot about it in general. Anyways, like I said it is not that I am no proud of the Dominican Republic, but I am disheartened of what it is at the moment.

Reactions: miloskorac

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, gal, i second HB - great writing skills. you should take on journalism, methinks. it has been a while i have seen such academic english on this board and it seems a dying ability among american born dominicans, polaks or whatever other nation. heck, american born americans cannot write all that well :)

anyways, DR as a puta pais. i actually do not agree. apart from places like sosua and boca chica (i am awaiting a beating for saying that) DR does not strike me as a place with a ho on every corner. sure, dominicans are very sexual and they start their sexual adventures early but i would not go that far to say their reproductive life is what defines them. the amount of teenage pregnancy springs from poor education and the lack of knowledge. all dominicans know than children are a result of rakata but majority of them has no clue about ovulation and the process of conception. women do not want to take contraception because they do not want to get fat and men do not want to use condoms because they "feel nothing" when wearing it. they also have no idea how HIV can be contracted.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The OP definitely has an American view of the Dominican Republic.

I find it ironic that while Dominicans have been intermarrying black, white and indians for centuries somehow Americans take the moral highground when America has been and still is a nation with prominent racism and racial problems. It wasn't too long ago many whites thought blacks were inferior animals.

It's so convenient for others to judge the DR and their outlook when few are even aware of their complex relationship with Haiti. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to find out that in US history books little or no mention is made of the Hatian occupation of the Dominican Republic and the atrocities and cultural genocide that the Haitians put into practice. Certainly it could be said that it's time to bury the hatchet then again the constant influx of illegal immigrants would make that difficult.

Furthermore, before everybody continues on with the illusion of the DR rampant racism I recommend one reflects on the faces of the average Dominican to see for yourself the result of centuries of intermarrying. Not only that the practice is alive and well here in the DR and especially Santiago where we still have a considerable amount of "white" people.

The complex ideas Dominicans have with regard are more related to nationalism due the aforementioned reasons rather than good old fashioned European vs African racism.

Status
Not open for further replies.