1 Million Peso property with a house on it anywhere in DR?

asuka13

Mar 6, 2010
Hello everyone. Its been awhile. My boyfriend, now husband is looking to permanently move here. He came over a few times and we have scouted around my current area for a good home and most are out of his price range or have.. issues. So he was wondering. instead of buying a huge lot of land he was thinking of just buying a small tiny piece of land with a house big enough for two people. ANYWHERE but Jarabacoa, BUT preferably within driving distance of one of the larger cities (La Vega, Santiago, Santo Domingo). He would also like to purchase a Large Full-size van such as Dodge or Chevy or any brand that makes them. Preferably at a reasonable price in good condition. He is currently not here, as he will come as a legal resident in a year and a half. I would appreciate any help anyone in the forum community can give us. Thanx.

EDIT: He says even one of those FEDEX like vans would be ok if you happen to have one for sale hehe!

Last edited:
Reactions: mike l

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
Build your own ! See the sticky by Chip called "Homebuilding in the DR the inexpensive (Dominican) way" in the Living section.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
For less than $30,000? No way!! This is not going to happen unless it is a barrio shack. It is just not possible. Construction costs between 20 and 30,000 a square meter. 100 square meters is between 2 and 3 million....that is for a 10 x 10 meter house! No furnishing.

this person needs a serious reality check.

HB

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
HB, your costings are spot on, I can concur having just recently completed mine. I'd say nearer the 30k / M2 if you add on the bells and whistles like full a/c, private well and an appropriate sized invertor.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
I may be selling our house for somewhere near this price. It is very large and beautiful. 1st floor is a great one bedroom apartment.With a garage. 2nd floor is a large 2 bedroom 2 bath fully tiled. kitchen, comedor, patio, balcony and sala. Also area to clean clothes with water and drain. There is no yard. House is in La Javilla in Villa Mella just north of Santo Domingo.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
I also have 4 tares of great property in Cevcios, 22kilometers from Cotui. Nice little town. Property is in the campo about a mile down a good dirt road. The 4 tares are all flat and have coconut trees, palms, squash etc. growing on the ground. Fruit trees, bananas, mangos and others. Has a small house-- right now has a branch from thru mango tree through part of the roof. Campo style stand alone kitchen. Gazebo. concrete slab for parking two or three vehicles. Out house with a comfortable seat. View from rear of property is great. It overlooks a pineapple field and then a hilly finca with white cattle etc. Has much potential and labor in area is cheap. There is a well next to the property but the pump it broken. Great stream 200 yds. away for swimming and hanging out. Small campo colmado next door. -- the more I talk about it I am second guessing. A family member has been in Plaza de Salud for head surgery, life support for 12 or 14 days. God bless it looks like he'll end up ok. While this ordeal has been expensive i'm not going to give these properties away. Let me know if you're interested. pm me with info about your boyfriend and his phone as I'm in US now.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I also have 4 tares of great property in Cevcios, 22kilometers from Cotui. Nice little town. Property is in the campo about a mile down a good dirt road. The 4 tares are all flat and have coconut trees, palms, squash etc. growing on the ground. Fruit trees, bananas, mangos and others. Has a small house-- right now has a branch from thru mango tree through part of the roof. Campo style stand alone kitchen. Gazebo. concrete slab for parking two or three vehicles. Out house with a comfortable seat. View from rear of property is great. It overlooks a pineapple field and then a hilly finca with white cattle etc. Has much potential and labor in area is cheap. There is a well next to the property but the pump it broken. Great stream 200 yds. away for swimming and hanging out. Small campo colmado next door. -- the more I talk about it I am second guessing. A family member has been in Plaza de Salud for head surgery, life support for 12 or 14 days. God bless it looks like he'll end up ok. While this ordeal has been expensive i'm not going to give these properties away. Let me know if you're interested. pm me with info about your boyfriend and his phone as I'm in US now.
Probably one of the nicest areas in the DR. A friend of mine built on the shore of the reservoir. Out of this world. People are very friendly and helpfull and yes, labour is very cheap. Sometimes they don't even want to charge you for a small job. You have to insist. Memories of Sosua area circa 1983.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
1 Milllllllllion Peso House

If you are looking for a used car, other than the newspapers there is a web site called super carros which list 100s of used cars at dealers in Santo Domingo, Santiago, Moco and so on. It is very helpful, gives you a photo, description of features and asking price. Obviously these are used cars and there are hidden problems. Take your time looking, establish a relationship with a reliable dealer, ask around if necessary who to do business with. After all they are used car salesman. One step above lawyers. If you decide to buy a car knock 15-20% off the asking price immediately. This is a good starting point for negociations. As they say you don't want to leave any money on the table. By this I mean you will kick yourself if you agree to a price on which you feel you could have done better. Believe me, I was in sales in the States for over 35 years and all salesmen are the same. They tell the customer what they want to here. Don't let this blind you. If they smell blood in the water they will go in for the kill. Do your homework and come prepared to slice the price. Don't make it easy for the dealer. Point out things that need to be corrected which will bring down the price. Push back. Don't let the dealer control YOUR negociation. Buenos Suarte'. As far as the house issue. It depends on your priorities. Do you need to be near a big city for convenience, for work, for school,for social life or all of the above. There are a lot a nice areas in the DR that have all of this but you need to sit down and way the pros and cons and come up with a plan. A small starter house is nice way to go. With the new highway running north and south perhaps a little ways out of Santo Domingo would make more sense. I am on the Samana Peninsula and love it up here. You can find many homes in land from the water at the $275-325,000USD range. Your best bet is to figure out the where and narrow your search via the internet. If you need any direction on the Northeast coast let me know.

S

NYerinDR

Jan 9, 2004
These are the best advice that I seen in DR1 for a while. I am so glad to see some members decided to help rather than making fun of the matter.

We need more of the kind reply to keep the forum stay positive and friendly.