Status
Not open for further replies.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You owe me $940 and you know it.

1) We went to pay our Codetel and Claro bill Monday and discovered this:

BandaAnchaI.jpg

Alida, at my insistence, cut you some serious slack and Personally Guaranteed your Banda Ancha card because you have no credit and now it is in serious default and her credit record is affected. They are demanding payment from her because of your failure to deal with an obligation. The current charge is RD$16,803. This was supposed to be paid by 5pm yesterday, as you well know.

2) I allowed you to use our company van for over a year for which you ONLY paid $300, and ONLY after I asked you to pay for some insurance. You damaged the steering and sway bar system when you drove it into a gully, and badly wore the new rear tires with bad driving on crappy gravel roads. You admitted to the front damage and tire wear. The damage-and I cut you some mega-serious slack on the tires-comes to RD$17,885.

That is a total of RD$34,688 or US$940.

I have contacted you both by several electronic means in several places and you have totally ignored my demands. I even ranted about this on my Facebook page. You KNOW I?m looking for you, yet you are in full avoidance mode. As I told you before, there are no secrets in the DR, especially when you run your mouth as you have.

This is just the tip of the iceberg with you two. You need to pay me NOW or suffer the consequences of the entire DR1 community knowing the full depth of your deceptions-and you know exactly what I am talking about. You?ve got a lot of balls talking crap about me to other folks after what you've done.

I want my money. You man up and pay me NOW and I'll ask Robert to take this down.

And while you?re at it, how about paying Wziel for the rush job he did for the logo you needed before the Jarabacoa Fair? You promised us both you?d pay, and he?s still waiting 3 months later.

And now I find out that not only are you sneaking out of town, but you convinced a wonderful but poor Dominican laborer with a pregnant wife to Personally Guarantee your moto loan? Seriously? After you screw over one Personal Guarantor already?

People like YOU are why I posted this before I even knew of your existence:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/88504-year-ago-today.html#post738762

CB said:
--The least dependable people on Dominican soil tend to be ex-pats. A broke ex-pat can be one conniving SOB.
I should heed my own advice.

Dude, I told you a long time ago: Never, ever confuse my kindness with weakness. When my heart grows cold, it gets very, very cold.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Expats come in all shapes and sizes, be on guard!

Ideally you should resolve this outside of DR1, but I understand your frustration when they ignore you and as you met them via DR1 and they are part of this community.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeFisher

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Thank you, Robert, for reopening the thread.

To our big surprise, we were told today by numerous friends on this board, we were under heavy, and very personal attack by the OP on FB, and that he was even writing personal emails towards certain people.

We were even more surprised when we saw a similar attack on DR1.

From that moment onwards we have been in constant touch with Robert, and through him with CB, throughout the day, to solve this matter. We would like to thank Robert for his obvious efforts, although to no avail...

We deeply regret that Whirleybird, as moderator, has to suffer all this mess, in a time when she has plenty of other worries and grief...

We would like to take the chance to give our version of the facts, and in this way you can make up your own minds...

Banda Ancha:
Yes, CB's wife took out a contract in her name to get us Banda Ancha, for which we will be forever gratefull. We have suffered Banda Ancha for about 6 months, and then decided it never worked, was never going to work, and we had to find another solution. As we had several complaints registered at Claro's, and even got them to send over a technician to check it out, with a written report, still in their computers, we discussed the matter of ending this contract with Claro Santiago... They admitted it was not working properly, and were willing to cancel the contract at a favourable rate (normal rate 500 rds x 12 months = 6,000rds), they proposed a 40% discount on this. The problem was that CB's wife had to cancel it, as it was under her name. I told CB this several times, and was always told he would take care of it, but did not have the time to do so at that moment... As our service stopped, I assumed, apparently wrongly, that the contract had been cancelled, and that his wife probably got an even better deal, as she is great with that kind of stuff. We never got any other request or bill from CB, regarding Claro... and as communications were already difficult at that time, we wrongfully assumed this matter was taken care of.

Insurance of the van...
When I first met CB, and was going to promote his MotoCaribe business in Europe (see his post on FB), he told me I could use the van, on condition I would pay the insurance, which was, according to him, 300$ per 3 months. I took his word on the amount, and decided it was a great deal. We have paid CB this 300$ every 3 months, up front, up untill the time he told us it was not necessary anymore as the insurance was covered for the rest of the year...
I translated his whole website in several languages, but he, for one reason or another, never got around to publishing or renewing his website, thus making promotion in Europe impossible. All of this was done for free.

Damage to the van...
We never, and I repeat never drove the van into a gully. We live in a house, from which we have to drive up a very steep gravel road (at the time in bad condition), and about 8 months ago did have some difficulties getting up the hill. The van slided sideways on some stones, and ended up on the road, with one rear tire, still on the road, but also partially suspended over the ditch. I decided not to take any risks, and called a professional tow-company, who properly attached a towing cable and pulled the van into safety in a proper and professional manner (2,000 rds paid by me, no problem). As CB was out of town at that moment, I informed him of this the very day he came back. There was NO damage at all to the van, and I think it is sufficient proof the van drove without problems for the next 8 months, including some MotoCaribe trips.
About 2 months ago, CB called me and said he wanted the van back as he had to get some repairs done on his jeep, and would need the van for his own transport. Of course this represented no problems for us, as it was his van after all. As it had been raining heavily all day I reminded CB I could have problems getting the van up the hill (normally I never drove the van up that hill, in those conditions), but he told me his mechanic from Santiago was here, so the van had to get up there. I drove the van up the hill and got stuck on the steep part. I called CB, informed him, and he sent this mechanic to the rescue. Instead of the tow-truck I suggested, and would have paid for, the mechanic decided to solve it the Dominican way, by jacking up the rear of the van, this way pushing the front-end suspension into the gravel. He then spun the rear-wheels backwards slamming the truck into the gravel, but breaking it free. He followed this feat by driving it backwards of the hill, with the handbrake on.

Tires...
I will admit to the fact that tire-wear on this steep hill will have been more heavy than usual. This has nothing to do with bad driving, as he claims, but is just a fact as most of you know here... CB replaced the back-tires about 6 months ago with some cheap Chinese rubbish (but ok, that is his choice), and demanded that the older front-tires were placed on the back, and the new ones on the front. This never made sense to me, as it was a rear-wheel drive van. At that time I already proposed him to make a contribution towards the cost of the tires, but was declined. When he told me the rear tires were shredded (which they were not, but ok) because of the gravel roads, I once again told him I was willing to make a contribution, to which he never replied.

The Jarabacoa Fair...
When you started up your new business of webdesign, you asked our permission to make us a website, on the condition you could use it as promotion. To which we agreed. Your programmer/webdesigner made us some kind of logo, which we had to improve. This has nothing to do with the Jarabacoa Fair, as this was months, and months before this fair. At this moment we can only see we are still listed on your website as clients, while we never were, and will never be. Please remove us from this site.

The loan...:tired:
On advice of several DR1 members, including the OP, I decided to purchase a moto on "credit", in order to gain some credit-rating. The credit in question is the purchase of a moto, by paying for it in 3 months. The down payment, and 2 monthly payments, intrest-free. The "poor" Dominican is a friend of ours, and is not a guarantor, but a reference. We both discussed this, he read the papers (yes, he is completely litterate), even explained some points to me, and were both in agreement. We are talking about a 700$ moto, of which the down-payment is already made. There is no way I would ever expose this valued friend to any responsability towards the loan.

All of this has taught me a valuable lesson, which I already knew, but neglected in the belief of friendship. There are no friends were business is concerned, and some people will go all the way.

This was my side of the story, and I can only conclude by saying I am willing to discuss these matters in a friendly way, with his girlfriend, to come to an amicable solution. I am not willing to discuss this with him, as I do not consider him a worthy person to talk to, after all the abuse and possible damage he tried to inflict.

Kind regards,

Peter and Hilde

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Kudos to DR1's Robert for trying to broker a resolution.

But all we got was excuses and deflection of blame, right down to "It's Alida's fault" and "It's the mechanic's fault."

Not one shred of personal responsibility, and not ONE SINGLE EFFORT to try to contact me directly. None. Nada.

I'm sure Peter will be here shortly with "the dog ate my homework."

Pay up dude. Or of you don't have the money (which is likely the real reason bills have gone unpaid), offer something of value in exchange.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Banda Ancha:
Yes, CB's wife took out a contract in her name to get us Banda Ancha, for which we will be forever gratefull. We have suffered Banda Ancha for about 6 months, and then decided it never worked, was never going to work, and we had to find another solution. As we had several complaints registered at Claro's, and even got them to send over a technician to check it out, with a written report, still in their computers, we discussed the matter of ending this contract with Claro Santiago... They admitted it was not working properly, and were willing to cancel the contract at a favourable rate (normal rate 500 rds x 12 months = 6,000rds), they proposed a 40% discount on this. The problem was that CB's wife had to cancel it, as it was under her name. I told CB this several times, and was always told he would take care of it, but did not have the time to do so at that moment... As our service stopped, I assumed, apparently wrongly, that the contract had been cancelled, and that his wife probably got an even better deal, as she is great with that kind of stuff. We never got any other request or bill from CB, regarding Claro... and as communications were already difficult at that time, we wrongfully assumed this matter was taken care of.
And did you ever just ONCE check to make sure, Peter?

FACT IS, the $$$ is owed, Alida personally guaranteed it, and YOU FAILED TO PROPERLY CANCEL IT.

And then you had the balls to lie AND tell Robert that you guys contacted Alida often to cancel it and it was HER that didn't do anything!!! Oh really?

Bullspit.

You assumed very, very wrong, and NOW she is out over RD$16,000 because of YOUR inability to conduct business.

belgiank said:
Insurance of the van...
When I first met CB, and was going to promote his MotoCaribe business in Europe (see his post on FB), he told me I could use the van, on condition I would pay the insurance, which was, according to him, 300$ per 3 months. I took his word on the amount, and decided it was a great deal. We have paid CB this 300$ every 3 months, up front, up untill the time he told us it was not necessary anymore as the insurance was covered for the rest of the year...
Tha van was for short term, local use, Peter. I told you that up front. You kept promising to buy a vehicle, but never did.

I finally ASKED for some insurance money. ONCE. You FINALLY paid it. ONCE. And did you ever once offer to pay anything else, or are you too frickin' DENSE to figger stuff out for yourself? Did I have to draw cartoons for you?

belgiank said:
I translated his whole website in several languages, but he, for one reason or another, never got around to publishing or renewing his website, thus making promotion in Europe impossible. All of this was done for free.
Yes you did, and you PROMISED ONE OF YOUR FANTASTIC CONTACTS WOULD PUBLISH "TWO WHEELS IN PARADISE", (which never materialised), blah blah blah. YOU were supposed to be responsible for Europe and the commissions thereof.

At what point did you undestand we knew you were full of bullspit?

Damage to the van...
We never, and I repeat never drove the van into a gully. We live in a house, from which we have to drive up a very steep gravel road (at the time in bad condition), and about 8 months ago did have some difficulties getting up the hill. The van slided sideways on some stones, and ended up on the road, with one rear tire, still on the road, but also partially suspended over the ditch. I decided not to take any risks, and called a professional tow-company, who properly attached a towing cable and pulled the van into safety in a proper and professional manner (2,000 rds paid by me, no problem). As CB was out of town at that moment, I informed him of this the very day he came back. There was NO damage at all to the van, and I think it is sufficient proof the van drove without problems for the next 8 months, including some MotoCaribe trips.
About 2 months ago, CB called me and said he wanted the van back as he had to get some repairs done on his jeep, and would need the van for his own transport. Of course this represented no problems for us, as it was his van after all. As it had been raining heavily all day I reminded CB I could have problems getting the van up the hill (normally I never drove the van up that hill, in those conditions), but he told me his mechanic from Santiago was here, so the van had to get up there. I drove the van up the hill and got stuck on the steep part. I called CB, informed him, and he sent this mechanic to the rescue. Instead of the tow-truck I suggested, and would have paid for, the mechanic decided to solve it the Dominican way, by jacking up the rear of the van, this way pushing the front-end suspension into the gravel. He then spun the rear-wheels backwards slamming the truck into the gravel, but breaking it free. He followed this feat by driving it backwards of the hill, with the handbrake on.
Baloney. You damaged the van and ADMITTED SUCH.

The tie rods and sway bars were bent, and had been bent for a while. The REASON we checked it is because I KNEW from long before that it just wasn't "right."

BTW-I wanted the van back BECAUSE I KNEW the front was whacked...BEFORE the incident you cited.

belgiank said:
Tires...
I will admit to the fact that tire-wear on this steep hill will have been more heavy than usual. This has nothing to do with bad driving, as he claims, but is just a fact as most of you know here... CB replaced the back-tires about 6 months ago with some cheap Chinese rubbish (but ok, that is his choice), and demanded that the older front-tires were placed on the back, and the new ones on the front. This never made sense to me, as it was a rear-wheel drive van. At that time I already proposed him to make a contribution towards the cost of the tires, but was declined. When he told me the rear tires were shredded (which they were not, but ok) because of the gravel roads, I once again told him I was willing to make a contribution, to which he never replied.
More bullspit, Peter. Where do you get this stuff?

"Cheap Chinese rubbish?" Really? Since when are Klever 75psi truck tires @ RD$6000 a piece "cheap Chinese rubbish?"

belgiank said:
The Jarabacoa Fair...
When you started up your new business of webdesign, you asked our permission to make us a website, on the condition you could use it as promotion. To which we agreed. Your programmer/webdesigner made us some kind of logo, which we had to improve. This has nothing to do with the Jarabacoa Fair, as this was months, and months before this fair. At this moment we can only see we are still listed on your website as clients, while we never were, and will never be. Please remove us from this site.
Nope. You never paid. You have no rIght to ask us to do anything.

I suggested we do a website for you BECAUSE the one you tried to do yourself was a total embarassment. But rather than come out ans just SAY it, I used a little sweetness and tact, some feel good. I felt sorry for you. Better now?

But WE have the right to ask YOU to cease using the logo Wziel designed...that you promised to pay him. And your memory fails. YOU HAD AN IMMEDIATE NEED FOR THE LOGO TO GET SHIRTS AND A BANNER MADE...FOR THE FAIR.

BELGIANK said:
The loan...:tired:
On advice of several DR1 members, including the OP, I decided to purchase a moto on "credit", in order to gain some credit-rating. The credit in question is the purchase of a moto, by paying for it in 3 months. The down payment, and 2 monthly payments, intrest-free. The "poor" Dominican is a friend of ours, and is not a guarantor, but a reference. We both discussed this, he read the papers (yes, he is completely litterate), even explained some points to me, and were both in agreement. We are talking about a 700$ moto, of which the down-payment is already made. There is no way I would ever expose this valued friend to any responsability towards the loan.
Baloney! HE says HE'S the guarantor, because a NON-RESIDENT wouldn't qualify for such a loan!

You never TOLD HIM YOU WERE MOVING, OR EVEN CONSIDERING MOVING. HE'S JUST A POOR GUY TRYING TO FEED HIS FAMILY!

He's not a "friend." He's an EMPLOYEE!!! Again, just ask him!

And you want folks to believe you were just trying to build your credit? When there are NUMEROUS posts here about how to do it all by yourself: deposit $$$ in an account, and borrow a % of it using that account as collateral. You're supposed to be the big Belgian business man and didn't know that COMMON method of establishing credit? Baloney.

Reality: you are broke, you are desperate for cash, you have no transportation, you have little to no income, your savings arew dwindling (or so you told me) you're selling off assets as fast as you can and you decided to use some poor shleb to help you finance a moto..."cheap Chionese rubbish" at that.

BELGIANK said:
All of this has taught me a valuable lesson, which I already knew, but neglected in the belief of friendship. There are no friends were business is concerned, and some people will go all the way.

This was my side of the story, and I can only conclude by saying I am willing to discuss these matters in a friendly way, with his girlfriend, to come to an amicable solution. I am not willing to discuss this with him, as I do not consider him a worthy person to talk to, after all the abuse and possible damage he tried to inflict.

Kind regards,

Peter and Hilde
Damage I tried to inflict?????

Dude, YOU are the one that owes me $940.

YOU are the one who failed to live up to the obligation to my wife. YOU are the one who should have made DAMN SURE the Banda Ancha was thoroughly, 100% cancelled...but you didn't! Never, ever, not ONCE did you EVER call, write or even drop by and ask Alida, not once ever. Maybe you thought all was cool...but you didn't! And now there is a huge bill outstanding and my wife's credit standing is in jeopardy!

The facts remain:
1) YOU were responsible for the use, payment and proper cancellation of that Banda Ancha card.
2) The damage to the van was caused by you.
3) You used a poor Dominican laborer to guarantee a moto loan for you.

You owe me money, Peter. It comes down to a matter of your character. You can be a man and just pay me. Or you can be a whiny, weasely punk and stiff me.

And, BTW, perhaps this whole thing might have gone in a different direction if your wife hadn't threatened me in a PM. My heart grew very, very cold that day.

Frankly, I don't think you have the money, but you false persona and ego won't allow you to admit it to me or anyone else.

Like I said, I fully expected you to come with "the dog ate my homework" excuse, and I got it.

I have never met a man with more excuses for his behavior, and who deflects more blame away from himself than you.

Last edited:

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Kudos to DR1's Robert for trying to broker a resolution.

But all we got was excuses and deflection of blame, right down to "It's Alida's fault" and "It's the mechanic's fault."

Not one shred of personal responsibility, and not ONE SINGLE EFFORT to try to contact me directly. None. Nada.

I'm sure Peter will be here shortly with "the dog ate my homework."

Pay up dude. Or of you don't have the money (which is likely the real reason bills have gone unpaid), offer something of value in exchange.

I have no personal problem with you apart from the extra heartache you have attempted to inflict upon me in this moment of grief and anguish but is your obvious sarcasm (lowest form of wit and highest form of ignorance) which comes across in this post and, unfortunately, that leaves me with absolutely no respect for any of your accusations which, I believe, may just have been born out of misunderstanding to some extent.

Shame it all got so out of hand..... I am coming home to the DR as I have grown not to enjoy the cold anymore!!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Delete It!

Although I am very much against censorship, deleting posts and threads, this one should disappear. :tired:
It's a personal matter.

donP

Reactions: las2137

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
Why would you post your beef with someone on a public forum ? Will making it public solve anything ? Makes the OP look like a total ass and the person(s) he's accusing (or whatever) embarrassed/pist for sure... My opinion, you made all these deals without posting them on DR1 first, you should deal with them without posting them on DR1

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I have no personal problem with you apart from the extra heartache you have attempted to inflict upon me in this moment of grief and anguish but is your obvious sarcasm (lowest form of wit and highest form of ignorance) which comes across in this post and, unfortunately, that leaves me with absolutely no respect for any of your accusations which, I believe, may just have been born out of misunderstanding to some extent.

Shame it all got so out of hand..... I am coming home to the DR as I have grown not to enjoy the cold anymore!!
Sorry Shirley.

My suggestion is to do a thorough vetting.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Why would you post your beef with someone on a public forum ? Will making it public solve anything ? Makes the OP look like a total ass and the person(s) he's accusing (or whatever) embarrassed/pist for sure... My opinion, you made all these deals without posting them on DR1 first, you should deal with them without posting them on DR1
It was suggested at the highest levels of DR1 for me to makle that post so folks can heed the warning: be very, very careful what expats you deal with. It could be a very expensive lesson.

As I am experiencing.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
This is like DR1 circa 2000-2007, except now the drama's moved to Jarabacoa.

I can't wait for Brian Wales, Escott, and the rest to chime in!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
This sort of stuff happens-- happened to me, as well.

It is soooo hard to judge people when you and they are away from their countries and roots... AND it is so hard to get around here without Dominicans to help -- you need a fiador for EVERYTHING...

And it is VERY hard to see someone falling without giving them a hand up..... but everytime something like this happens, it makes it harder to trust ANYONE.

Reactions: AlterEgo

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
C'mon guys, you are all grown men by know, you shouldn't be posting this kind of stuff here for everybody to see. Even if the debtor doesn't want or can't pay the creditor should have gone other ways first before using this one.

Reputations are forever shattered (both) and nothing good comes out of this. Not to mention what would happen if the debtor was a campesino Dominican and get embarrassed like this.

Just my 2 cents...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
This is like DR1 circa 2000-2007, except now the drama's moved to Jarabacoa.

I can't wait for Brian Wales, Escott, and the rest to chime in!
Yeah, well, I'm done.

I fully expect to get stiffed.

It's not my last dollar but is probably his.

As a long time landlord and businessman, I have found one truism re: the "doubtful accounts" ledgeron the GL: 99% of the time, the reason people don't pay their bills is because they don't have the money. And the more excuses they make, the less money they expect to have.

This was about trust and betrayal, and WE did the trusting.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
C'mon guys, you are all grown men by know, you shouldn't be posting this kind of stuff here for everybody to see. Even if the debtor doesn't want or can't pay the creditor should have gone other ways first before using this one.

Reputations are forever shattered (both) and nothing good comes out of this. Not to mention what would happen if the debtor was a campesino Dominican and get embarrassed like this.

Just my 2 cents...

Totally agree.....................

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Gone for an hour and it blows up. Before this goes in to the abyss...

I tried to resolve this behind closed doors, but sometimes the inevitable spills over when both are so active on DR1.

I offered to drive to Jarabacoa in an attempt to get them together to sort out their differences. Belgiank did not appear to be willing to do that, after the recent bad blood between them. I tried!

Hopefully a lesson can be learned by all here.
Careful who you choose to do business with, it can go south.
Make sure you cross all the t's and dot the i's.

If anyone has anymore to add, I suggest you PM the respective parties.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.