Robert Approved.... Chocolate Tours and Sept. Events In DR.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
I know these are "Robert" approved...........

but really, HOW IS THE CHOCOLATE.......

I, for one, or anyone that I know for that matter, has never had a decent piece of chocolate ANYWHERE in the DR........ Even the candy available seems to be left overs from other countries and brands that are considered marginal in, at least the US...at best...............

How's the tour? I've had friends that have gone all the way from Puerto Plata to Neyba for the "grape museum" tour, (WHICH I WARNED THEM ABOUT).......and they were absolutely furious..........

Inquiring minds need to know! LOL

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what is a "grape museum"?
the only decentish chocolate i have seen here is german ritter sport. at 3 times the german price...

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I visited the Sendero de Cacao outside of San Francisco de Macoris this summer. It was closed but had the opportunity to speak to the couple who run it for the Rizeks. It is beautiful and if you get a chance, take the tour. The Rizek family is the largest exporter of cacao in the country and one of the largest in the world. While speaking with Don Rizek this summer in his office, he let me try some wonderful Dominican chocolate which recently won an award in Europe for it's quality. I also visited their lab in SFM and was given a taste of pure cacao paste in liquid form that was amazing. I was also given a 3lb bag of cocoa which has a much lower fat content because the butter or mateca has been taken out. It is very nice to use in the house. More for baking or for chocolate milk or tea. And in the capital I visited their offices and was given a 70% chocolate bar of very high quality. Good quality chocolate is somewhere in the country.

My favorite chocolate, are the balls of cacao paste which the women of Los Naranjos, de Castillo sell for way to cheap. I must of bought at least 200, 4-5 oz. balls of pure organic cacao Sanchez, which is the cheap stuff. Brought back about 40 with me and gave the rest away. Grate it, boil it in water, milk or soy milk. Put in in my farina, and anything else that makes sense.

Gave a few balls to a family friend who runs a mexican restraurant on the Lower East Side. Will get some feed back soon about the mole.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Probably should have said..........

what is a "grape museum"?
the only decentish chocolate i have seen here is german ritter sport. at 3 times the german price...

........the wine museum or winery tour or something. It was being advertised on TV for a while. I've been to Neyba many times and have seen it. Never went it.........don't think it was ever open, looked about the size of a shoe box...........

........I wouldn't have gone there if I lived next door.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Wine grapes are a huge deal in Neyba...for some reason. I only passed through the area one time but I remember an inordinate amount of signs and other things related to grapes....it was a little odd actually...only because Ive never heard of a serious winemaker, let alone a "wine region" in the DR...

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
we have played with the idea of importing Belgian chocolates (pralines), and even got one of the best producers interested. The transportation-cost was very high though, making the pralines very, very expensive.

I'm sure you can find Belgian chocolate in Carrefour, SD. Look for Cote d'Or, or even their generic brand Carrefour (as it is made by Cote d'Or). My favourites are the seashell shaped chocolates, with kind of a nutty filling. It won't be cheap, and your liver will hate them, but you only live once... lol

Belgian chocolate is definitely without comparison...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The DR excels at producing the raw material, but not the finished product. As the country is now one of the world's main cacao exporters, it's possible that it ends up in the top European chocolate brands. That's what the tour is about.

Dominican style chocolate de agua is a delicious breakfast drink.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I have Belgian chocolate in my fridge...nice dark one, 70 and 86 % cacao :bunny:

I made some chocolat truffles a couple of months ago according to a recipe of my mother. It worked but its really not that easy in these temperatures, had to have the chocolate and the stuffing in and out the fridge the whole time during making to keep all ingredients cool enough to work together but they were - although saying it myself - deliscious.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The original post had a brochure of the place. There must be a phone number on it. It not you can search for it and it comes up in yahoo or google. The tour in SFM is on the Rizek's main farm heading toward Tenares. I do not know if they take you to other farms they have. I think the brochure has an address in Macoris.

I was also told there is a Sendero de Chocolate, I think it's called, in the Hato Mayor area catering to the Punta Cana and Eastern areas. I saw a map of their tour and it does take you to various areas in the East. Nowhere near the Cacao that is in the SFM area.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Does the cocao tour include organic growers?

I do not know for a fact but would imagine yes. Every cacao producer and processor I spoke with this summer had organic cacao. I do not know about certification or if it tested when it is turned into paste or liquor.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The original post had a brochure of the place. There must be a phone number on it. It not you can search for it and it comes up in yahoo or google. The tour in SFM is on the Rizek's main farm heading toward Tenares. I do not know if they take you to other farms they have. I think the brochure has an address in Macoris.

I was also told there is a Sendero de Chocolate, I think it's called, in the Hato Mayor area catering to the Punta Cana and Eastern areas. I saw a map of their tour and it does take you to various areas in the East. Nowhere near the Cacao that is in the SFM area.

no phone number that I could find. A web address that does not work. A google search yields a similar name in an unfamiliar alphabet. Did you go with Colonial Tours?

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The Loma Quita Espuela hike is much different. I did it about 10 years ago with a guide from the fundacion. It is unique because it is a cloud forest at an unusual altitude, about 1000m above sea level I think. The trip up and down is better than when you get to the top. I was told that groups of students are taken on the backside for 3-day camping trips to study the botany, birds and so forth. There are quite a bit of actives going on around getting up into the mountains around Quita Espuela. It is an absolutely beautiful area.

This summer I visited Rancho Don Lulu, which is at the entrance of the fundacion. There is a lot of cacao in the area but the Sendero shows you how it is grown, harvested and processed. They have a very nice set up. I'm not sure what exactly goes on at Rancho Don Lulu but they can sleep and feed a fairly large group of people

Last edited: