Moving to Santiago

BIGBOY21

Sep 15, 2010
Hello!
I am new to this site , i will be moving to Santiago in December, and im trying to find out if one can live decent over there with 1500 dollars am month as a single person? i have been there a few times but on vacation so i dont realy have a solid idea on cost of living, any information would be helpful.

Thanks!!

BIGBOY21

Sep 15, 2010
Thanks for the info, well no need for extravagance im just a student and will be attending UTESA for 4 years and i have my car witch ill be driving over from Haiti so i guess thats a plus, i just hope i have enough to get waisted on the weekends.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
UTESA?? Good luck! Not medicine, I hope!!! Their program sucks, big time. However, I am prejudiced...

HB

BIGBOY21

Sep 15, 2010
I'm going for Telecomunications, the program seemed ok to me plus they dont offer this at PUCMM if u have a better sugestion let me know sir i would apreciate it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Are you kidding? PUCMM invented the degree in Telecommunications!!! IT!
Oh boy...

HB

BIGBOY21

Sep 15, 2010
Well i had asked my cousin overther to send me some info and thats what i got,so ill look into PUCMM dude, anyway ill be over there next month to register so i will defenitly talk to some people at PUCMM, thanks alot! i got one more question if you dont mind, what am i looking at as rental cost for a 2 bedroom fully furnished Apt and is it easy to find one?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
All I can say is cost varies with location, and apts close to the universities can vary a whole lot. Near UTESA there are some that are dirt cheap, but the neighborhoods are iffy.
Near PUCMM a bit higher but nicer areas.

Go to Pontificia Universidad Cat?lica Madre y Maestra and look around. IF you have good Spanish and pretty fair math skills, you should be able to do the course work.

HB

BIGBOY21

Sep 15, 2010
Ok il check PUCMM i gotta drive to santiago from Port-au-Prince at the end of the month to get some work done on my car,but let me ask you this, when you say cheap what kind of figures we talking bout here? in Miami a studio Apt for 700 bucks a month is cheap , over here in Haiti anything with some form of standards is no lower then 800 to 1200 bucks a month this for a 2 bedroom ,in other words what can i get for about 600 to 700 bucks a months and should i get a real estate agent or look on my own?

BIGBOY21

Sep 15, 2010
By the way i did look up the PUCMM website, very interesting, the only thing i noticed is they ask for High school transcripts to register, that might be a bit tricky dude to the fact that the school i went to is no longer after the earthquake as well as the principle may she rest in peace...now this school was an American school and i do thing they were registered with the Miami Dade School Board, but getting my transcript might be tricky, all I have is my diploma and my SAT scores, so deadline for registration is in November I’m not sure if I’ll be able to get those transcripts onetime if i can actually do so, if you have any thoughts on that it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your feedback HB you seem to know your stuff

Cheers!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Unless you want luxury, something between 500 and 600 would be more than adequate for a student.

A real estate agent just muddies the waters. If you are Haitian, you will meet an pil haytian ici. They can give you the real deal and save you some major cash. Just walk/drive into PUCMM, park, and walk around and ask any of the Haitians there about living and expenses. Most live modestly.

HB

BIGBOY21

Sep 15, 2010
Ha-ha I see you know some Kreol, good stuff!!

I lived in Haiti since i was 4 but mia madre e mio padre sono italiani, i speak kreol as good as any Haitian, hell I grew up here so I will definitely ask my Haitian brothers and sisters for some help.

Cheers!

vnazaire

Sep 4, 2010
Can I find out about the yearly fees to attend PUCMM , I am talking about the University fees only for a foreigner ?

If you go on DR real estate websites ( google ), you'll find out the average rent for a furnished 2-bedroom in a good middle class area of Santiago comes to 500 dollars a month.