Drive times from Santo Domingo to Sosua, and Sosua to Dajabon.

nisenson

Sep 15, 2010
Hi
I am looking for drive times and best routes from Santo Domingo airport (SDQ) to Sosua, and Sosua to Dajabon.

I arrive at SDQ about 3:30m PM on a Wednesday

Thanks,
Orin

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Hi
I am looking for drive times and best routes from Santo Domingo airport (SDQ) to Sosua, and Sosua to Dajabon.

I arrive at SDQ about 3:30m PM on a Wednesday

Thanks,
Orin

Arriving at 3:30pm you will not get to Sosua before dark. Myself, I avoid driving at night especially on roads I am not familiar with.

The following directions were originally posted by J D Sauser over a year ago. I saved the directions on my pc as I found them to be excellent driving directions to Puerto Plata. For Sosua you would just continue driving straight thru Puerto Plata and you will come to Sosua.

Post by J D Sauser:

From Las Americas Int'l Airport (SDQ):

Take Las Americas Hwy West (marked Santo Domingo).

You will reach Santo Domingo after crossing the Ozama river on hung bridges and it will lead you either onto Ave Mexico or 27 de Febrero, depending on how you manage to select your lanes.

You will want to reach the Northern upper parallel avenue called JF Kennedy. Try to stay on the middle of the avenue (quick under passes) and keep on going West.

This avenue will eventually become Duarte Hwy and bend off right North.
You will pass Bonao, La Vega and reach Santiago.

When in sight of a very distinctive tower monument (search the Internet for "monumento de los heroes de la restauracion, Santiago to get a better picture, if you don't know it) appears on the horizon facing you, you must prepare to leave Duarte Hwy to your right. There will be a succession or small -> Puerto Plata signs on your right. But be carefull to leave Duarte Hwy only shortly before the over and underpass intersection.

This should lead you onto Sadhala avenue. Try to stay in the middle lane, which is not easy as locals seem to enjoy creating new lanes on the fly. This should allow you to take an overpass, which will save you valuable time (see a Burger King or Mac Donalds below it). Keep on going "staight" on that road.
This should bring you to a roundabout at the exit of the City (two Toyota dealerships next to it). Go straight into the 4 lane hwy.

Stay on there for another 20km (+/-, about 12mls?), until you get to a large intersection with regional buses stopping. There is a sign -> Sosua, Puerto Plata, Rio San Juan. Follow that sign to your right. This will lead you into the mountains, over a pass with the only tunnel of the country and then, down to the Coastal region, leading into and thru Puerto Plata towards Montellano, Cangrejo, Sosua, Cabarete and so forth... all the way to Samana.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
If you get in Santo domingo around 5pm, expect at least 2-3 hours just to cross the city.
At 7-8pm its still fine to drive to Santiago. lot of cars on road. and some areas are iluminated.
I recommend to spend the night in Santiago, stay around the Monument (lot of places for dinner and hang out until midnight)
You can stay in a Cabana. lot of them to choice. and continue to Sosua next morning.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
you would be better to take the toll highway towards Samana, then continue west to sosua.....this way you miss santo domingo and santiago and save a lot of traffic headaches....this would take aprox 3-3.5hrs
sosua to dajabon, depends on the time you go, about 3.5-4hrs. if you go on a monday or friday there is a huge pulga

Reactions: bigbird

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
you would be better to take the toll highway towards Samana, then continue west to sosua.....this way you miss santo domingo and santiago and save a lot of traffic headaches....this would take aprox 3-3.5hrs
sosua to dajabon, depends on the time you go, about 3.5-4hrs. if you go on a monday or friday there is a huge pulga
You're right, I forgot about that route especially when starting from the airport. This would be a quicker and more direct route. Just be extra careful if you have to drive at night on any road.

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
Could someone reco inexpensive hotels, with price

Exact location would be very helpful. Thank you.