Another Customs Duty Question

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I will not have residency or have applied or done anything when a large shipment of personal belongings are shiped to me and my wife (north coast). I have a bunch of old clothes and some kitchen appliances, some art and general life stuff... About 16 big plastic boxes full... Almost everything is used. I have no way to know what the value of all of this is. Since it's all mostly used stuff, can I just make a general guestimate of the value of my stuff or will I have to estimate the value of each piece of pants, underwear, dinner plate and etc.??? Also, what is the tax rate on this?

Alternatively, can I do this the Dominican way, with a personal appeal to the government official... Please send me the answer to this question via a private message...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
How are you shipping it?

Just use one of the "door to door" services and you will avoid the hassle

Montero, Awilda, et al

WW

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
each single piece of item has to be mentioned and it's value with it, used or new doesn't matter.
it is a huge hassle of paperwork to be done BEFORE sending the Goodies on their way.

like WW stated,
use a 'Door to Door' service provider and they will do all that needed paperwork for you,
they will even let you know upfront about the exact costs including Taxes/Customs/Fees etc etc etc
if you already sent it on it's way,
then I would say you are in for a New Adventure Part in the Book of Life.
good Luck
Mike

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
How are you shipping it?

Just use one of the "door to door" services and you will avoid the hassle

Montero, Awilda, et al

WW

Good advice WW. The first of several plastic drums that we're shipping there in advance of our trip was delivered to my mother-in-law on Monday. The guy who delivered it asked it he could look inside it - she said no, and he said OK and left!

AE

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have used them just once ( our initial shipment was the "residency" container w/ car, furniture etc) but it was dream 2 barrels and 2 boxes delivered right to the door .

Took 2 weeks

No taxes. Nice people

WW

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
WW, this time of year we take advantage of summer clearance sales and pack 'em up. Yesterday, for example, our CVS had large Igloo brand coolers on clearance for $6. Flannel backed vinyl table cloths for $1.25. Men's contoured flip flops $1.99 [originally $14.99, not the rubber thingys]. Beach towels, $2. By the end of September they're giving summer stuff away. You can pack a lot of stuff in one of the drums or boxes. We'll fill the cooler to the brim before it gets packed!

AE

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Funny thing...... I just returned from the store loaded w/ that kind of stuff.
those cooler bags are on sale.... great for trips to Playero and so on.

I'm in a beach town here on the Great Lakes..... flying Sat AM.... we are loaded with "end of season" bargains.

Check out the solar lamps for pathways..... 1/2 price

Plastic barrels getting loaded in November for shipment.

WW
Great minds think alike?? or is it "Fools seldom differ?":disappoin

AE.. where do you ship from in Cape May ?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Funny thing...... I just returned from the store loaded w/ that kind of stuff.
those cooler bags are on sale.... great for trips to Playero and so on.

I'm in a beach town here on the Great Lakes..... flying Sat AM.... we are loaded with "end of season" bargains.

Check out the solar lamps for pathways..... 1/2 price

Plastic barrels getting loaded in November for shipment.

WW
Great minds think alike?? or is it "Fools seldom differ?":disappoin

AE.. where do you ship from in Cape May ?

WW, I'm not in Cape May, I'm about an hour north of there in the next town down the boardwalk from Atlantic City. Embarque Bella Vista and Montero, both out of New York, and some others, will come right to our house and pick them up. This time of year they pick one drum up and bring us another. They pick up in Philadelphia too.

AE