Am I being duped again..????

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
I knowsome of you know me on this site and have offered great advice to me in the past in dealing with family I know in the Dominican republic. I have tried so hard to help, but feel I finally am seeing the light. I received this email Friday afternoon, via my email of Juan's frind who can read and write.
" Hola mi amigo, soy yo Juan , tenia sita hoy en el medico y me descubrieron qe me encontraron grasa en el lado del corazon y el frnte de l cabeza. Me pusieron un tratamiento por 3 meses. Si no resuelva con esta tratamiento lo necesito hacer operacion. Me pusieron a comr a dieta sin grasa o sa. No puedes tomar bebida alcoholicos hasta se resuelva este problema. Me indicar un medicamente para los 3 meses. Yo necesito tu ayudapronto si puedes para compar los medicamentos porque la compania no me cubren losmedicamentos" I am a generous person and pray to God all is well, b ut I do feel I am now being used. I have done many things fo the family ad the children, spent a lot of oney on food, barrels, schools, clothes , rent, fridges stoves- you name it I got it for them. I even paid his debt last July beause someone kept coming the hiouse screaming and scaring the kids. Now I feel it has gone too far. I do not know for sure if he is sick, but I fear it may just be another ploy ... I don;t know much about the medical plans the D R offers its citizens, but surely they cannot charge a fortune for supplies even so.. Please let me know i anyone feels the same as I do.I sent back amessage saying I am broke and cannot do anything right now as I am still paying off bills from my last visit to the DR ... how it ever got this crazy I just don;t know.......

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I have read your posts and replied in the past, it is obvious your heart and intentions are in the right place. I am so glad you are seeing the light and accepting the situation for what it is.
As far as his op goes, well,,,,,,, you aren't a stupid guy, you know it is bs. Problem is here is people often see helping hands, purses as weakness, nothing more, a people where having the upper hand or getting one over on each other makes them feel good and is normal, in every class.
Walk away, you would every silly to continue this relationship. The dr is here for you when you retire, you've worked hard for your retirement, you deserve to enjoy it, not fritter away on some unappreciative situation you strayed into.
Chin up, move on!

Reactions: MikeFisher

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I'm sorry Amstellite, but you and your post are just pathetic..You are not the first person to get conned in the DR.. but you are probably the first to hand over cash and not get anything out of it..Many guys and women fork over cash,but at least they get the sex and attention they want..

I't is not like you are rich..as you are still paying for your last trip to the DR..When are you going to get it? please wake up and cut your losses now..

If you even post one more time about juans suckering you, you should just be banned for being the dumbest poster ever on DR1..

Oh, and by the way,i have a hernia and need a operation..could you loan me a few thousand bucks..and i am behind in the rent, can you western union me some $$$..WAKE UP!!!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
As far as I know there is no medical condition where you have fat accumulation next to the heart and behind the forehead. This should tell you what you need to know.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I'm sorry Amstellite, but you and your post are just pathetic..You are not the first person to get conned in the DR.. but you are probably the first to hand over cash and not get anything out of it..Many guys and women fork over cash,but at least they get the sex and attention they want..

I't is not like you are rich..as you are still paying for your last trip to the DR..When are you going to get it? please wake up and cut your losses now..

If you even post one more time about juans suckering you, you should just be banned for being the dumbest poster ever on DR1..

Oh, and by the way,i have a hernia and need a operation..could you loan me a few thousand bucks..and i am behind in the rent, can you western union me some $$$..WAKE UP!!!

Steady on, the guyhad good intentions, you know how some of these tickers can get unweary people wrapped around thier fingers. Looks he has eventually come to terms it isn't him they want, just the easy picking of his hard earned cash.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There is nothing more pathetic and sad than a foreigner who truly ~wants~ to believe they aren't being scammed.

Whether borne of guilt or desperation, it rarely ends well. And there are no effective words of truth that can be used to folks who truly ~want~ to believe lies aren't lies.

"I'll pray for you" should suffice for an answer, that's it.

Reactions: RacerX

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I visited a homeless shelter in the US yesterday. We played with the kids and organized picnic and games for adults. The cost was my time and the food I brought. No one is going to harass me for more unless I want to come back and give some more time or money. You can do the same in the US - help out poor and homeless. They also have kids, no jobs, money and a lot don't even speak English. You don't have to go to a third world country to do it. Please let those countries take care of their own people and problems. You can help through the organizations that know how to do it and not to get conned. Good luck!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The Other Way Round

There is nothing more pathetic and sad than a foreigner who truly ~wants~ to believe they aren't being scammed.

I disagree.
Quite often these are good people with a soft heart, who (still) believe in mankind.

For me, it is the other way round:
There is nothing more pathetic than Dominicans scamming people who want to help. :tired:

donP

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I visited a homeless shelter in the US yesterday. We played with the kids and organized picnic and games for adults. The cost was my time and the food I brought. No one is going to harass me for more unless I want to come back and give some more time or money. You can do the same in the US - help out poor and homeless. They also have kids, no jobs, money and a lot don't even speak English. You don't have to go to a third world country to do it. Please let those countries take care of their own people and problems. You can help through the organizations that know how to do it and not to get conned. Good luck!

Excellent point Alyonka, couldn't give you rep point [gotta spread 'em around] but I tried.

Amstellite, you've got a good heart and sound like a very nice guy. Alyonka's advice is excellent for you, check in your own backyard, lots of needy people in NYC who would welcome you with open arms. Many DR1ers gave advice to you on prior threads, and I'm happy to hear you've finally been able to say "No" to Juan. Don't go into guilt mode at this stage. You did the right thing. He thinks he's smarter than you, trying to trick you to send him money. Stay strong.

AE

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I disagree.
Quite often these are good people with a soft heart, who (still) believe in mankind.

There is nothing more pathetic than Dominicans scamming people who want to help. :tired:

donP
Both are pathetic.

The "soft-hearted" for leading with their heart without the use of the head, and the user for leading with the head knowing his mark is using their heart.

Life requires a balance of both. But only a fool would give a second chance to someone they KNOW is out to scam them and others.

One can believe in the goodness of mankind while recognizing there are those out there that are bad examples of humanity.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
2hovec5.jpg

Feb 7, 2007
i disagree.

There is nothing more pathetic than dominicans scamming people who want to help. :tired:

10+

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Somebody recently posted:

"Don't confuse my kindness for weakness"

In my opinion, a great statement.

How would you say that in Spanish?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I agree

No confunda mi bondad con debilidad in Spanish

AE

Totally off topic, but after I re-read this I had to laugh because it reminded me of something that happened. We spend a lot of time with our grandson, and he's learning Spanish very quickly. He talks to his Poppa in Spanish all the time. So, he was spending the night with us, and missing his mommy, and we called her to say goodnight. Poppa told him [in English] "Tell mommy 'I love you' in Spanish". His said to his mommy "Mommy, I love you in Spanish". :laugh::laugh::laugh:

AE

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
I am a generous person and pray to God all is well, b ut I do feel I am now being used. I sent back amessage saying I am broke and cannot do anything right now as I am still paying off bills from my last visit to the DR ... how it ever got this crazy I just don;t know.......

I got something way better, send the family this video- Your dilemma will be solved.

Guaranteed!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ysGF59nHAq0?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ysGF59nHAq0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited: