Fallen Angel

SH6811

Oct 24, 2005
Greetings to all,

I am writing this in the hope that it may eventually, somehow--lead to some positive good. Right now there is a Haitian woman in Sosua in great need. About 2 weeks ago she was in Caberete at the bar/restaurant where she was working when she became the victim of an attack by acid. She was horribly burned/disfigured on her face, chest, shoulders, and arms. In addition her leg was cut up by doctors in Santo Domingo in order to provide a skin graft for part of what is left of her face...

She has family and friends with her doing what they can for her, however obviously her needs are simply far beyond what can be provided to try and help her. It is not possible for myself nor other people outside of her situation to imagine what she is going through. In addition to the physical, mental, and emotional suffering she remains in danger. The man who attacked her knows where she lives and has been threatening to "finish the job" and kill her. In fact he has been by her house at least a couple of times in the past week or so. Thus in addition to everything she has to deal with she also needs to be concerned about not only her survival but the danger posed to her family, including her 2 small children.

Once again, as stated earlier, my hope is that if many people in Sosua are made aware of her situation it may lead to some additional help for her. I and all those that know her want to do so much for her however her case is just so extreme...I don't know what else I can do for her...

Thank you.

SH6811

Oct 24, 2005
Welcome to the Dominican Republic. The man who did it is a Haitian and I guess frankly the police don't care, she doesn't have the money to pay them off to get them off their butts to do something...even if they did pick him up his Canadian girlfriend would probably have him out of jail in a few days anyway because I hear she's got some money.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Welcome to the Dominican Republic. The man who did it is a Haitian and I guess frankly the police don't care, she doesn't have the money to pay them off to get them off their butts to do something...even if they did pick him up his Canadian girlfriend would probably have him out of jail in a few days anyway because I hear she's got some money.

Sorry to ask so many questions and not that I doubt you but

did you know her before this accident?

so the accident, going to Santo Domingo for the skin graft has all happened within the last 2 weeks?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
If she is legal then he should be in jail, end of. If she is illegal them she is screwed and will be better off moving on. I don't know what help anyone outside would be prepared to give, who needs to be involved in anything like this, could easily be your face messed up if he is nuts, which he obviously is.

SH6811

Oct 24, 2005
You may ask all the questions you wish. I will try my best to answer to the best of my ability.

Yes I've known her for a little while, I first met her in January so about 9 months or so.

Yes this happened about 2 and half weeks ago, I actually wasn't here in the country because I had gone back to the US for a visit for a few weeks. It wasn't until a few days ago she was able to contact me to tell me what had happened.

And, with all the respect to you--this was anything but an "accident"...this was nothing short of an atrocity.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
And, with all the respect to you--this was anything but an "accident"...this was nothing short of an atrocity.

Sorry I should have used the word incident not accident.

Like the other poster said what kind of help are you asking for.

SH6811

Oct 24, 2005
Yes obviously he is insane. From what I've been told he killed several people in Haiti before coming to the DR. He cut them up with a machete.

In my personal experience in dealing with the police here two things are needed:

1. Money for payoffs/bribes
2. A Dominican of some influence with them that they will listen to and can convince them to act.

She doesn't have either. Looking at it from their perspective (the police) this is a Haitian/Haitian thing with no opportunity for financial gain for them...why would they care?

SH6811

Oct 24, 2005
As for her legal status he had taken her passport and wouldn't give it back to her...she's been here for about 8 years.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I see no reason why she wouldn't be taken seriously, don't bother with sosua, go directly to pop, you take her and be seen, it might be a help. Then again she is probably a bit late now, they will pull some kind of time expirey thing on her. Acid, domestic, Canadian girlfriend, no passport, somewhat of a mess. Give her a gun and tell her to shoot him next time he comes on her property. Good luck

SH6811

Oct 24, 2005
She's been to POP several times and other places in an attempt to find some help for her. The problem is the kind of help she needs isn't really available to her in this country.

Believe me the people watching her will do whatever is needed to try and protect her, but she is still vulnerable where she is. It would be possible for him to still get at her.

It isn't that she's not taken seriously, everyplace she goes in public causes everybody to stop, stare, and say "Dios Mio" out loud...she doesn't lack for compassion from other people, simply in things more tangible that can make somewhat of a difference for her...hence why I made the original post in hopes of generating some awareness of her case.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
DNAV - Rep?blica Dominicana

I know that most of you do not have much respect for the police here but I have seen the district attorney in action -- and I can say that they are VERY strong on gender based crimes once they know about them.

AND it does not matter is she is legal or not - in terms of the enforcement of the law here. But if she has NO PASSPORT from Haiti then she may not want to go the government if she does not wish to return to Haiti.

You can also refer her to Centro Bono which works particularly with Haitians in this country. It does sound like the man who did this should be behind bars

Here is link for Centro Bono

Bon?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
SH6811, how about contacting a group like Coordinadora de Mujeres del Cibao (Santiago) or Mujer y Salud (SD), which have taken up cases like this in the past like that of Crucita a few years back who was also a victim of an acid attack by her ex-partner. They might be able to provide legal, medical and psychological support.

Coordinadora de Mujeres del Cibao
Colectiva Mujer y Salud

Also, in Santiago - Nucleo de Apoyo a la Mujer - no website but contact details:
(809) 581-8301
nam@codetel.net.do

At official level there is the "Defensor?a de la Mujer" - national number for "denuncias" is 809-685-2196

The Crucita case:
http://ogm.elcaribe.com.do/articulo...id=4BCDAC071513476E827B4237FECC216D&Seccion=3

Last edited:
Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

SH6811

Oct 24, 2005
Thank you for those links. It is greatly appreciated. It is correct her legal status is not relevent...however if I remember correctly (I'd have to double-check) she actually does or did have a cedula (making her a legal resident of the country).

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I wish her the best but the best thing for her right now is to stay far away from Sosua.

I would also have he check with family in Haiti because one shouldn't assume that she can't get the treatment she needs because I'm sure there are still any foreign doctors providing free care. If interested send me a pm and I'll send you the contact info of a missionary group in PAP. They won't provide money but maybe room and board and access to free medical care.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
HADAC Web site way behind and needs to be updated.

Look for "Monkey Jungle" on the web site. Open Saturdays ONLY.

Up El Choco road about 8 miles. They have medical and dental professionals at the clinic and have been working with local hospitals as needed for operating rooms. Doctors/teams come in the the States and other countries.

BIGBOY21

Sep 15, 2010
You could report this to the Haitian Ambassy in Santo Domingo and even take her there, they can put some presure on the police to arrst this guy and have him extredited back to Haiti specialy if he is wanted over there, andmake sure the press is involved.

SH6811

Oct 24, 2005
Yes I thought it quite ironic that if this had happened to her a few months ago it would have been possible to take her to PAP when the US Navy had a hospital ship there (either the USNS Comfort or USNS Mercy--I don't remember which) that had state-of-the-art facilities for the treatment of burn victims. In addition I'm sure they would have sent her to the US for her follow-on treatments. She would have been actually better off in PAP than in the DR at the time...but the ship is gone now.