URGENT help of the community needed

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
An older couple is taking care of 86 dogs and many cats. They run out of money and can not feed the animals nor themselves. They don't have anything at all left!
Please help them either find homes for dogs or cats or donate to put them asleep. They are so desperate! Any help what so ever is greatly appreciated!
They are located behind aqua-park (across the Shell Station) between Sosua Abajo y la Union.

Tomorrow we will drive at 5 pm up there, if someone likes to join to get an idea of the situation, please do not hesitate and email or PM me. We also could arrange transportation on an other day or hour if someone is interested in helping.

They even don't have water anymore!!!
Donations of Human food, dog food, water, money, anything you would think is of need!
Find people who would take a dog or cat or help to find a Vet to put them asleep for a reasonable price.

Thank you so much for helping!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
An older couple is taking care of 86 dogs and many cats. They run out of money and can not feed the animals nor themselves!

I presume they may need permanent help for themselves, as in psychiatric care.
I'm presuming they are utterly oblivious to the mess they have created and this has happened out of the goodness of thief heart as opposed to deliberate neglect. No family about to help or even contact?

I hope you find a vet willing to help destroy the dogs but I would expect with the quantity they have shooting them may be the best option.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
An older couple is taking care of 86 dogs and many cats. They run out of money and can not feed the animals nor themselves. They don't have anything at all left!
Please help them either find homes for dogs or cats or donate to put them asleep. They are so desperate! Any help what so ever is greatly appreciated!
They are located behind aqua-park (across the Shell Station) between Sosua Abajo y la Union.

Tomorrow we will drive at 5 pm up there, if someone likes to join to get an idea of the situation, please do not hesitate and email or PM me. We also could arrange transportation on an other day or hour if someone is interested in helping.

They even don't have water anymore!!!
Donations of Human food, dog food, water, money, anything you would think is of need!
Find people who would take a dog or cat or help to find a Vet to put them asleep for a reasonable price.

Thank you so much for helping!

already sent a pm to you

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
I presume they may need permanent help for themselves, as in psychiatric care.
I'm presuming they are utterly oblivious to the mess they have created and this has happened out of the goodness of thief heart as opposed to deliberate neglect. No family about to help or even contact?

I hope you find a vet willing to help destroy the dogs but I would expect with the quantity they have shooting them may be the best option.

Anastacio, you are right they did a mistake...they meant to do good! But unfortunately they misinterpreted help/care/love towards the animals....
But we could talk and write a lot but it won't help these animals. It is not the animals fault to have ended up there! But they are suffering hunger etc...
To be honest i also thought about the solution of shooting them! But who would do that?
Any help Anastacio you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

dogstar

Oct 24, 2004
Katz

There are enough rats in this country that no cat will starve, also some dogs are good ratters. Set them free, if not there then at the border, that way you solve two problems, the cats and hungry Haitians.:)ermm:)

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
There are enough rats in this country that no cat will starve, also some dogs are good ratters. Set them free, if not there then at the border, that way you solve two problems, the cats and hungry Haitians.:)ermm:)

:speechles

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
how can you end up with 86 dogs they must have let them breed which doesnt sound like they were helping them much.
dozy pillocks

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
I did a mistake, there are 'only' 68 dogs. and we have 4 weeks to find a home for them, collect money for putting them asleep the ones which can not find a home and provide in the meanwhile food for them.

Any support for these poor animals are really appreciated!

Donations for injections, dog food, cat food and if anybody knows of someone who would take a dog would be great!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
they don't have any cent left! We started today to raise funds.
Any amount you would give will help to stop the suffering of these innocent
animals.

This might seem like a faff to you but making a display page and putting all the better looking dogs on it with photos would only take a days work, you could have it up by wednesday morning.

The biggest problem you might have is that they are probably all completely mad by now living in such a mental environment, yappy, unpredictable and untrained, very very difficult to rehome to anyone unfamiliar with dogs.

How are the owners feeling during all this craziness? it must be a little overwhelming for them.

On a good note, we will be looking for a gaurd dog or two for the back garden once our fence goes up properly, but that won't be until the 10th. A bit nutty and yappy is good in a gaurd dog so thats one positive to look at, sorry I can't offer more help. I'll keep an eye on what happens between now and then.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
]This might seem like a faff to you but making a display page and putting all the better looking dogs on it with photos would only take a days work, you could have it up by wednesday morning.

we will take the photos today.

The biggest problem you might have is that they are probably all completely mad by now living in such a mental environment, yappy, unpredictable and untrained, very very difficult to rehome to anyone unfamiliar with dogs.

There are beautiful and normal dogs still there.

How are the owners feeling during all this craziness? it must be a little overwhelming for them.

Well what can i say! She is so sad! My focus currently is to find homes for the animals, food that they don't suffer hunger and donations to be able to buy the medication for putting them asleep.
The animals are innocent victims.. they need someone to speak up for them

On a good note, we will be looking for a gaurd dog or two for the back garden once our fence goes up properly, but that won't be until the 10th. A bit nutty and yappy is good in a gaurd dog so thats one positive to look at, sorry I can't offer more help. I'll keep an eye on what happens between now and then.

That would be great!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Also not everyone lives on the northcoast, some kind of online donation process might help. I'm sure some of us wouldn't mind sponsoring a dog until it's fate is found.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I guess I don't really understand why they need to be put to sleep. If you can't feed them just set them free and they will find a way to feed themselves. There are tons of viralata dogs and cats in The DR with no owners who survive on their own. I would just take 5-10 at a time and set them free in different parts of town (you do have to take them away far enough as a dog will find his way home)

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I am in complete agreement that the animals that cannot be rehomed should be put down. Turning them loose is not in their best interest. Uncontrolled breeding of these animals that would be turned loose only adds to the problems. Their lives on the streets are quite often filled with disease, accidents that cause pain and they are mistreated by many they come in contact with during their rounds of trying to find enough food to stay alive. Don't believe me? Just act like you are getting ready to throw a stone and all street dogs will take off - they have learned the hard way. They spread disease to other animals and to humans or kill livestock such as chickens or goats.
It is much more responsible to humanely end their lives than turn them loose. When we lived in the DR I helped 4 street dogs a year - I caught them and either found homes for them or paid for them to be put to sleep depending on their emotional/physical condition. If everyone changed the lives of just 1 or 2 animals each year then feral dog and cat problem would be drastically reduced.
Good on you for not considering just dumping them and adding to their problems and the problems of the communities that they would be roaming around.

Reactions: AlterEgo