Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why so many newborns die in this country?

16 newborn deaths in one week only in one hospital only seems a bit too much.

Any possible explanations?

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/loc...ublic-hospital

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Because we're not spending the money where we should.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Lack of adequate prenatal care?

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

It's important to remember that this hospital is a public hospital [read FREE], where the poorest women go to give birth. I'm not minimizing the cleanliness issues, but these women, and particularly their babies, are undoubtedly at high risk because of the lack of basic prenatal care.

My husband tells me that 'back-in-the-day' it was a state of the art facility.

AE

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Infant mortality rate is one of the main indexes showing country's healthcare development. There are many factors that can contribute to it. DR seems to be in the middle according to this table:

List of countries by infant mortality rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Why hasn't Sra. Fernandez or someone started a "Head Start" program? As an example, this is what the prenatal care program for poor women in the USA is called.
    It is one of the cheapest government programs to run also AFAIK.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

i totally agree this is a lack of prenatal care. poor women often have parasites and untreated diseases. childer are already born very sick, they contract additional diseases in a hospital and voila - mortality rate very high. i think that private clinic (that is one that charge money) do way better.

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Expat-in-Cabarete View Post
    Lack of adequate prenatal care?
    Definitely.

Part of the issue (and this maybe taboo on DR1, but what the hell, it's a major part of the reason) is the influx of pregnant Haitian women to give birth in Dominican hospitals. Unlike most Dominican women, Haitian women in Haiti don't have access to any prenatal care (or any medical care at all) until they show up at the doors of Dominican hospitals practically giving birth. Many of these women arrive with all sorts of ailments. This is why the infant mortality rate in the DR is highly inflated and so too the number of mothers that die in labor or post-labor.

I've always wondered why the numbers are not separated, such as keep tract of the total number of infants/mothers in labor that die, then another set of numbers documenting Dominican infants/mothers and yet another one for Haitian infants/mothers.

This way it can become clear what most doctors in Dominican hospitals are claiming, that the influx of Haitians is exacerbating the infant mortality rate and the number of deaths of mothers-in-labor.

Like much in the DR, its not fully due to government negligence (at least, not Dominican government negligence). Same thing is happening with Polio, Malaria and host of other problems that were completely eradicated by the end of the 1970s only to reappear when the large influx of Haitians began in the 1980s and onward.

9. Likes bronzeallspice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It could have been a serious failure on the part of the hospital, but generally the neonatal mortality rate is high amongst babies born to poor underage mothers, who are the least likely to take care of themselves during pregnancy. They may even have actively tried to bring on a miscarriage and weakened the foetus in the process. Another high-risk group would be babies born to poor Haitian women who suffer from poor nutrition, anaemia, etc.

ETA-Not a taboo, NALs but a fact of life. We posted at the same time.

11. Likes bronzeallspice liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

recently there have been many articles on hospitals in hoy, listin diario, el caribe, el nacional, everywhere. if i remember cortrectly maojority of the births in some government hospitals were from haitian mothers who also had the highest rate of deaths during/after labour.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast