Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Replacement batteries for UPS?

North coast area... any thoughts where to look for a replacement battery for a UPS?

It's a WP3-12.

These batteries, in the U.S., available online for about RD$500-700.
    New UPS here is about RD$1500.

Would prefer to find a replacement battery locally than toss the whole thing in the trash.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceducomp in the little plaza on the left side of the road as you are leaving Sosua for Cabarete.

They sell them for just under RD500 each.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought two @ Cecomsa in Santiago two weeks ago for around RD$400ea (I think).

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

This is what I did when in DR: Each battery is 6 volts so if you are skilled using a welder just buy some feet of wired # 14 black for negative and red for the positive plus a two battery terminals and get a small car battery this way the power will last longer and you can take it with you in your car if you are going on trip to use it like a car inverter I used to have one permanently in my minivan.

JJ

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The Battery is more like 12 volts DC. I have also used a small car battery and now my UPS works like a real power inverter. I don't remember the last time my UPS completely discharged. It lasts hours. I have a heavy duty old laptop and router connected to it. The laptop has a desktop chip and 17 inch screen. The battery in laptop is useless so my ups works like a charm.
    At first, I also replaced it with a ups small (toy)battery which was the replacement for the original battery inside. Cost me like 700 pesos. What a mistake, the damn thing didn't even last 3 month and only gave me like 5-10 minutes max then it went down hill from there. I have been using my current set up for months now and my battery is still strong and my UPS stays on for hours.
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YS1uznq8Nys?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YS1uznq8Nys?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. I'll give the local computer stores a try.

I'll pass on the big battery conversion for now, as I just need this to power a wifi unit for 30 seconds to a minute while waiting for generator to switch on. But, who knows what may be needed in the future

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZB View Post
    The Battery is more like 12 volts DC. I have also used a small car battery and now my UPS works like a real power inverter. I don't remember the last time my UPS completely discharged. It lasts hours. I have a heavy duty old laptop and router connected to it. The laptop has a desktop chip and 17 inch screen. The battery in laptop is useless so my ups works like a charm.
    At first, I also replaced it with a ups small (toy)battery which was the replacement for the original battery inside. Cost me like 700 pesos. What a mistake, the damn thing didn't even last 3 month and only gave me like 5-10 minutes max then it went down hill from there. I have been using my current set up for months now and my battery is still strong and my UPS stays on for hours.
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YS1uznq8Nys?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YS1uznq8Nys?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
    Looks like some one stole my invent. Porque no lo registre en industria y comercio?

JJ

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bachata View Post
    Looks like some one stole my invent. Porque no lo registre en industria y comercio?

JJ
    Hahaha, I said the same thing when I thought of this idea but it seemed like the tigres had been doing this modification way before I had even thought of using a UPS.
    AZB

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The OP will buy a battery from a local store in DR and his battery will last him only 3 months. Sometimes the local stores sell a used battery. I am done with these cheap toy UPS batteries, the small car battery is the best option for this country.
    AZB

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Does a UPS have the charging capacity for a large battery?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast