Replacement batteries for UPS?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
North coast area... any thoughts where to look for a replacement battery for a UPS?
GZ1230.jpg

It's a WP3-12.

These batteries, in the U.S., available online for about RD$500-700.
New UPS here is about RD$1500.

Would prefer to find a replacement battery locally than toss the whole thing in the trash.

Reactions: SantiagoDR

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Ceducomp in the little plaza on the left side of the road as you are leaving Sosua for Cabarete.

They sell them for just under RD500 each.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I bought two @ Cecomsa in Santiago two weeks ago for around RD$400ea (I think).

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
This is what I did when in DR: Each battery is 6 volts so if you are skilled using a welder just buy some feet of wired # 14 black for negative and red for the positive plus a two battery terminals and get a small car battery this way the power will last longer and you can take it with you in your car if you are going on trip to use it like a car inverter I used to have one permanently in my minivan.

JJ

Reactions: SantiagoDR

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The Battery is more like 12 volts DC. I have also used a small car battery and now my UPS works like a real power inverter. I don't remember the last time my UPS completely discharged. It lasts hours. I have a heavy duty old laptop and router connected to it. The laptop has a desktop chip and 17 inch screen. The battery in laptop is useless so my ups works like a charm.
At first, I also replaced it with a ups small (toy)battery which was the replacement for the original battery inside. Cost me like 700 pesos. What a mistake, the damn thing didn't even last 3 month and only gave me like 5-10 minutes max then it went down hill from there. I have been using my current set up for months now and my battery is still strong and my UPS stays on for hours.
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YS1uznq8Nys?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YS1uznq8Nys?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Thanks all. I'll give the local computer stores a try.

I'll pass on the big battery conversion for now, as I just need this to power a wifi unit for 30 seconds to a minute while waiting for generator to switch on. But, who knows what may be needed in the future :D

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
The Battery is more like 12 volts DC. I have also used a small car battery and now my UPS works like a real power inverter. I don't remember the last time my UPS completely discharged. It lasts hours. I have a heavy duty old laptop and router connected to it. The laptop has a desktop chip and 17 inch screen. The battery in laptop is useless so my ups works like a charm.
At first, I also replaced it with a ups small (toy)battery which was the replacement for the original battery inside. Cost me like 700 pesos. What a mistake, the damn thing didn't even last 3 month and only gave me like 5-10 minutes max then it went down hill from there. I have been using my current set up for months now and my battery is still strong and my UPS stays on for hours.
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YS1uznq8Nys?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YS1uznq8Nys?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Looks like some one stole my invent. Porque no lo registre en industria y comercio?

JJ

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Looks like some one stole my invent. Porque no lo registre en industria y comercio?

JJ

Hahaha, I said the same thing when I thought of this idea but it seemed like the tigres had been doing this modification way before I had even thought of using a UPS.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The OP will buy a battery from a local store in DR and his battery will last him only 3 months. Sometimes the local stores sell a used battery. I am done with these cheap toy UPS batteries, the small car battery is the best option for this country.
AZB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Does a UPS have the charging capacity for a large battery?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I use a DR-650 omega brand ups. This brand not only charges the battery well, it also recognizes the power generator electric as street electric and starts to recharge again. My last UPS did not recognize the planta electrica or a home inverter as legit electric. It didn't work well with square-wave input 120 volts. That was a problem as my ups would not turn off even if we turned on the electric diesel generator.
My 650 va omega ups charges my car battery just fine.
AZB

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
The OP will buy a battery from a local store in DR and his battery will last him only 3 months.
AZB

The OP's also concerned with aesthetics. Placing a chopo-rigged UPS with an external deep cycle battery or two beside the desk in an apartment that rents for US$450 a night wouldn't impress many clients. :smoke:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The OP's also concerned with aesthetics. Placing a chopo-rigged UPS with an external deep cycle battery or two beside the desk in an apartment that rents for US$450 a night wouldn't impress many clients.
I see you are not very creative at all. Who said the battery has to be right in the middle of the room? You can't hide a car battery anywhere? Mine is hidden behind a fridge.
AZB

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
AZB,
Creativity or the lack thereof has nothing to do with it.
There's a generator that switches on in about 10 seconds. Just want to avoid the modem & wifi router rebooting.

No need to operate when a bandage will suffice.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I tell you why they make so less ($$$)

Sorry wrong thread.

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
AZB,
Creativity or the lack thereof has nothing to do with it.
There's a generator that switches on in about 10 seconds. Just want to avoid the modem & wifi router rebooting.

No need to operate when a bandage will suffice.

You are talking to someone who has changed the UPS batteries 3 times in various ups units. The Op can go ahead and put in a cheap chinese battery in UPS (locally bought) and then change the same battery every 3 months or simply replace the toy battery with a real car battery (but a small one) and hide it well. Now he is all set. If the generator kicks in or not for whatever reason, he is all set. Now I am not putting a gun to his head to do as i say, this message is read by many people and I am sure some other person would be more than happy to make this chopo modification to his ups.
AZB

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Does a UPS have the charging capacity for a large battery?
Yes if the battery is in good shape and it doesn't run out of amperes quickly.
Amp. is what support your equipment working properly no the voltage.
a car battery has a lot more amperes than a regular UPS battery to charge it will be slow but it will work.

JJ

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
The OP's also concerned with aesthetics. Placing a chopo-rigged UPS with an external deep cycle battery or two beside the desk in an apartment that rents for US$450 a night wouldn't impress many clients. :smoke:

I would love to see an apartment that rents for US$450 a night.....
US$13,500 a month.....