bus/guagua Puerto Plata airport to Costambar

tammycarmela

Sep 21, 2010
Hello,

I would like to learn the least expensive way to get from the Puerto Plata airport to Villa Jazmin in Costambar. I have heard there is a bus or to take a series of guaguas for a total distance of about 40 km. I know I can take a taxi for about $50 USD, but that seems kind of expensive. I am traveling with a friend, so if we go by cab, would the $50 cover the trip for both of us or is that per person? I am too chicken to take a motorcycle ride that far.

For the public transport, I am hoping for specific instructions, such as "go to this end of the terminal and look for..." and "get off at..." type of information.

How many pesos per trip is the bus/guagua? Will I have to get out someplace and transfer? How many transfers and where will I need to take to travel this distance? I would think I would need to pay a new fare on each bus/guagua. Is this correct or is it a unified system with transfer tickets? Is there a schedule with designated stops, or do I just flag one down anywhere roadside and ask where they are going?

How often does it come? How early/late does public transport begin/end? How long does it take to travel this distance by cab? By public transport?

I am also hoping to go from Costambar to Cabarete to windsurf and am looking for the same information to get there. How long would this take and how early does the public transport start?

Is there anything else I should know about taking public transport that I haven't asked?

Any help is greatly appreciated! :confused::cheeky:

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
The only way that this would work would be if you are traveling light and don't mind walking. I can't tell you exact fares, but you will pay for each leg of the trip separately and you will have to change gua-guas/carritos.

Once you clear Customs, go outside of the airport. There will be a driving lane and a parking lot behind that lane. You'll need to walk across the driving lane, across the parking lot to the airport entrance (go left). Walk along the airport entrance road until you reach the main road (DON'T cross the road). Wait there for a gua-gua or carrito. The carritos are autos with red taxi-type signs on top that say PtaPla-Sosua. A gua-gua is a mini-van that will say Puerto Plata-Rio San Juan on it. If one that is not full comes by, flag it down and get in. You shouldn't have to pay more than 50 pesos per person (that is a guess - I haven't taken them in a while). That will take you into the city of Puerto Plata. Tell the driver that you want "el hospital p?blico". When you get to the public hospital get out of the car/gua-gua and look for a gua-gua (side of the road across from the hospital) with a placard in the window that has a C or an F on it. Either of those gua-guas will take you to the entrance to Costambar. From there, I'd look for a motoconcho to take you to Villas Jazmin - it is a long walk from the main road to Costambar. The C or F gua-gua shouldn't be more than 25 pesos per person.

To go to Cabarete you would do this in reverse, but take the Rio San Juan gua-gua from the public hospital to avoid a third change.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlterEgo

tammycarmela

Sep 21, 2010
carrito/gua-gua

Just for perspective, what number of people in a gua-gua constitutes "not full"?
If it looks like about 15 people are in, do 2 more fit in?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
A carrito is full with six paying passengers plus the driver. The gua-guas are full when they can't cram another person into them! Sorry, I should have included that information in my first post.

Also, you can choose to pay double for two seats in order to avoid being a sardine crammed into a tin can.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the price of a guagua from the airport to the city is 30 pesos. maybe 25 actually but no more than 30. if you use carro publico it is 5 pesos more (so no more than 35).
guagua C or F is 15 pesos per person. ask the driver to stop at "entrada de costambar". from there you can take another carro publico but it will be faster and better to take a moto -25 pesos a ride. have fun :)

John Samuel Craig

Mar 15, 2013
I am going to the Puerto Plata airport on April 1. I have one bag and my small4 pound dog in a carrier. What is the cheapest way to get to the airport ? I am in Torre Alta and paid $35 to get here from the airport. Seems like a lot since the Guagua is 50 pesos all the way to Caberete. Any advice?

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
" I am traveling with a friend, so if we go by cab, would the $50 cover the trip for both of us or is that per person?"

That is for both of you -- or for four people even. If you could find another couple going the same way . . .

Drivers of carritos (aka: publicos, cooperativos, carros publicos, collectivos . . .) may want you to pay for a seat for the luggage too.

May 29, 2006
Just for perspective, what number of people in a gua-gua constitutes "not full"?
If it looks like about 15 people are in, do 2 more fit in?

I've seen close to 25 many times including kids but it's hard to count when it's that full. Unless the guy taking the money is actually hanging outside the van, there's room for more. They won't take as many for a trip from Sosua to POP, but for Sosua to Cabarete, they pack it because many folks are trying to make it to work. Kids are expected to sit on their parent's laps to make room and young women will sit on your lap too. You can see up to a family of five on a motobike and a guagua is much bigger.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I am going to the Puerto Plata airport on April 1. I have one bag and my small4 pound dog in a carrier. What is the cheapest way to get to the airport ? I am in Torre Alta and paid $35 to get here from the airport. Seems like a lot since the Guagua is 50 pesos all the way to Caberete. Any advice?

the cheapest way is, of course, guagua or carro publico. i am a bit out of touch with the prices now but i'd think 50 pesos will take you from the main road to the entrance of torre alta. from there you will have to walk or take a moto. since you have a small doggie with you plus a bag i would suggest a taxi after all, especially after a long flight or in the late evening.