Friends & Living in DR!!!

Sapphira

Sep 21, 2010
Hello Everyone
Hi I am a 30 year old female from England, U.K. I have just returned from DR & am going back on October 3rd to stay for a few months and do some volunteer work and maybe each English as a foreign language, I am aware the wages are low there but that is not really why i am going, I am going more for the experience, give some of my time for something worthwhile and just have a mini adventure, I am realistic about living there even for a short time, but i will be coming over Oct 3rd and wanted to know if anyone knew where i can find fairly cheap accommodation in the north coast of DR?, and how i would go about securing somewhere for a few months without having to pay to stay in a hotel. I have visited a few towns out there & know a few local people i made friends with, but i would really like to be able to meet up with some English speaking folks as well as the Spanish! So if anyone is living up on the north coast i could really use some new friends out there. Thanks for reading guys. x:)

Sapphira

Sep 21, 2010
Thank you!! that thread was really useful and informative!! I have some money saved up so i should be alright for a few months if i don't find any paid work, if i do that would be a bonus!! I am hoping someone may be able to suggest accommodation that is affordable to rent like under $300 a month as everything i have found is over $400-500 a month and i am worried i will have to stay in a hotel untili find somewhere which could work out to be quite an expensive solution, so any suggestions would be much appreciated. Many thanks again :classic:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in POP you can find a small one bed for as little as 100 dollars a month. acceptable conditions: water and power most of the time :)

Sapphira

Sep 21, 2010
Response to dv8

Thanks for letting me know of that, i was hoping to find somewhere to stay in POP as i have not heard a lot of great things about cabarete or sosua, living wise i mean so i will definitely look when i get there. Would anyone know what is the legal procedure for securing a apartment? I am sure there is a contract you sign, what i wasn't sure of is how much you pay up front, or deposit wise, so any advice would be fab!
I really wanted to find an apartment within a day or two of arriving as i don't want to spend too much money on hotels. Can you suggest where i should go to find apartments in POP?, is there an agent that deals with it or do you have to look it up in newspapers and places like that? My Spanish is basic to average, so any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank again everyone :)

Aug 19, 2004
For a few months I would question whether it is worthwhile renting a full aprtment/flat - you may be better off looking for an apartment hotel where you will get cooking facilties etc. If you are interested in teaching Puerto Plata is not necessarily the best place + you would always be assumed to be a tourist. Have you considered going to other places such as Santiago (or even Santo Doming) where it may be easier to find somewhere to stay and possibly get some work.

In your time you should also consider go to other parts of the country such as the southwest. In say San Juan Maguana you could find very cheap accomodation + live in a genuine Dominican town + if it doesn't work out move on somewhere else.

In Santo Domingo Peace Corp have a large operation (+ other international agencies) - you may find it intersting /useful to link up with these people.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
POP, I am unsure why you wanna be in POP, the most boring place on earth for someone single and unemployed.
I agree Santiago or santo Domingo might be better options for you.
All accom layouts are 2 months (if dealing with an agent then it can be 3) deposit, plus a month upfront. Finding furnished is the problem so expect to pay almost double for that.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
POP, I am unsure why you wanna be in POP, the most boring place on earth for someone single and unemployed.

you are so wrong, dude. POP is the most boring place on earth full stop :)

sapphira, my dominican girlfriend lives in a small one bed apartment very close to my work. it is in a fairly new building and it is nice and clean, i have to say. water and power most of the time, main street, quite safe. she pays about 100 dollars per month. i can ask her if there are any apartments available and at what prices. this is all dominican owned and dominican run so i am not even sure how it works contract-wise. forget about agents, newspapers and such, if you want something cheap it is all done by the word of mouth.

Sapphira

Sep 21, 2010
Response to London Calling and dv8:

Thanks so much guys for all your advice and help, i think i will look into other areas as well as POP. dv8 i would really appreciate it if you could ask your girlfriend about that apartment and price, it sounds ideal, and exactly what im looking for, i think you are right it is easier and better finding an apartment via word of mouth. Thank you again. I am greatful for all the suggestions by everyone and for any help with finding an apartment. I will be arriving October 11th so am really hoping to find somewhere by then.

Hey i also wanted to ask, it is my birthday october 14th, any ideas or suggestions on fun ways to celebrate your birthday out there?
I am looking forward to making new friends and meeting up with anyone already living out there and hopefully joining together for a few drinks and some laughs!