These power surges and my computer?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
What would be first signs of these power surges damaging my computer. Within the last month or so it has just shut down instantly for no apparent reason, maybe 3 or 4 times. The power literally just shuts off and so it isn't even a safe shut down.
So am wondering if these surges could be responsible for this, I do try to unplug when the power goes, then replug once it has returned and we do have a built in 'doo darr' to protect against surges but I'm not sure this works that well.
Anyone??:cross-eye

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Sounds like your fan port is full of dust.
That is a symptom of an overheating problem.

The first sign of damage from the erratic electricity is your power supply packing up - usually a blown capacitor.
You have 2 choices - buy another one for 2000-3000 pesos or have Mario down the road fix the original for 300 pesos.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
And the scientifically technical term is "du-dad" not "doo dar". It was invented in 1930 by the Japanese industrial conglomerate, Gizmo, Whatzit & Thigamijiggy.

Yep, check the fan, it may not be coming on and the thing may be overheating and then shuts off until ITS temperature drops. Or maybe airflow around the computer isnt enough. Move it from where it is to another location. NOT by the stove.

Reactions: mountainannie

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Wedge a cigarette lighter under one end - that is what I do.
You get used to the slanted keyboard no worries, but when I bought a new computer it was all horizontal and weird.....

And actually, a do-dad (dar) is a mistranslation of an ugee-barge - which were a major cause of NSW. This phenomenon was first discovered in patch bays in recording studios in the '80s.

"NSW" - also known as "Non-Specific Weirdness" is responsible for 1000's of dollars worth of wasted time in the recording industry to this day.
It is actually why a CD costs 18 bucks and not 2 bucks.

Maybe that is what your computer has?

But as RacerX says - try better ventilation first....

Oh - and just for the record Rice&Beans - yes I have been at the rum again....

Reactions: Bronxboy

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
What would be first signs of these power surges damaging my computer. Within the last month or so it has just shut down instantly for no apparent reason, maybe 3 or 4 times. The power literally just shuts off and so it isn't even a safe shut down.
So am wondering if these surges could be responsible for this, I do try to unplug when the power goes, then replug once it has returned and we do have a built in 'doo darr' to protect against surges but I'm not sure this works that well.
Anyone??:cross-eye

I think you have missed my ghetto fix threads.
Your problem is a common one among some laptops.
read this thread:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/50456-overheating-laptops-here-my-ghetto-soultion.html

pedro is right, its over heating problem. The ventilation system is clogged.
AZB