Dom Rep vs Colombia

Status
Not open for further replies.

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
Hi,

I've been seriously considering about going to Medellin, Colombia for my next vacation, only because I've been to the DR 6 times in the last 2 years. Has anybody in this forum been there? And how does it compare to the DR??? Feel free to PM me with any info.

Thanks in advance,
J.B.

Reactions: mike l

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
Reflections and Musings...

Well, I think I'm going to Colombia instead of the DR this trip.

One major consideration that swayed my decision was the almost daily harassment in Sosua on my last trip that I recieved from a certain motoconcho driver and a certain street hustler, with the motoconcho being the biggest pain in the a**.

Practically everyday the motoconcho would shadow me, always asking for money, which is funny because I never usually gave him any more money than the ride fare.

Also, there were a few Dominicans in town who, every time I 'd see them in the club, would try to hit me up for a free drink....don't mind doing that if there is some reciprocation, but of course, there never is....

Come to think of it, I don't remember in ALL of my times in Sosua (5) a Dominican buying me a drink...

Though in Samana, the locals were very friendly and bought me unsolicited drinks....

The more I think of it, I just don't think I am in the right mood to deal again with the "freeloader capital" of the Dominican Republic that Sosua has unfortunately become.

It will be nice to visit somewhere else where I constantly don't have to say "no" to the "street people": the shoeshiners, the hustlers, the motoconchos, the beggars, the putas, the street vendors, etc., etc., etc.........

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Maybe you should consider visiting another part of the country. The DR is a lot bigger than just Sosua.

Just a thought.

Vince.

Reactions: mike l

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Medellin and sosua are 2 different worlds. The weather is different and so are the people. There is no beach in medellin. Not easy to talk to women and certainly they are not easily charmed. There are good areas and bad areas in the city. bad areas could be very dangerous and the good areas could be expensive. Most foreigners go to any city and end up in a whore house and then come back to tell tales of their conquests. If this is what you have in mind, then any city in colombia will fulfill your requirements.
As compared to sosua, in medellin, no one will even notice you, much less talk to you. There is plenty to do and see there, but there is no beach in sight and no vacation type atmosphere. Its a big city. I find medellin to be a bit more expensive, even more so than bogota but good deal can be found if you know where to look and if you speak good spanish. Of course speaking spanish is not enough, you have to be able to blend in well with south american culture as well. Know the norms in advance and learn to speak like them. Dominican spanish is not considered very elegant language to them. If you don't want people making faces of dried prune, watch your tongue. Colombians speak better Spanish than even Spaniards (in Spain).
I have also come to realize that gringos (especially the back packers) have screwed it all up for the new visiting foreigners there. When you tell folks you are a foreigner, they instantly think we are here to meet a paisa (girl native of medellin or the department of antioquia). There are a ton of marriage agencies and call girl services and even dating services that cater to gringos. The back-packers have given out a bad impression of being cheap and going the dutch way when they are out on a date with a girl. No girl is expected to pay when she is accompanied by a guy. No decent guy in latin america (even dominican republic) lets the girl pay on a date or dinner. So if you think you can go dutch with a girl, forget it. Foreigners already have a bad rep there. The colombian girl will not talk to any guy on the street or in a bar. In order for you to score there with non-hookers, you have to know them in advance, before you even go there. try Tagged and meet them there first.
Watch out for fake currency handed to you by cab driver in the dark. I was passed one, but it was only a 10K bill ($5 US dollars) so no big deal but some people can really give you big fake bills. Stay away from barrio type girls, you can easily get drugged and lose everything to the thieves. I would stay clear of bad areas. just be careful and don't act innocent. If you are the innocent type, stay away from colombia. Its for the big dogs. If you take your precautions and play the game right, you will be addicted to colombia in no time.
Good luck.
AZB

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
Medellin and sosua are 2 different worlds. The weather is different and so are the people. There is no beach in medellin. Not easy to talk to women and certainly they are not easily charmed. There are good areas and bad areas in the city. bad areas could be very dangerous and the good areas could be expensive. Most foreigners go to any city and end up in a whore house and then come back to tell tales of their conquests. If this is what you have in mind, then any city in colombia will fulfill your requirements.
As compared to sosua, in medellin, no one will even notice you, much less talk to you. There is plenty to do and see there, but there is no beach in sight and no vacation type atmosphere. Its a big city. I find medellin to be a bit more expensive, even more so than bogota but good deal can be found if you know where to look and if you speak good spanish. Of course speaking spanish is not enough, you have to be able to blend in well with south american culture as well. Know the norms in advance and learn to speak like them. Dominican spanish is not considered very elegant language to them. If you don't want people making faces of dried prune, watch your tongue. Colombians speak better Spanish than even Spaniards (in Spain).
I have also come to realize that gringos (especially the back packers) have screwed it all up for the new visiting foreigners there. When you tell folks you are a foreigner, they instantly think we are here to meet a paisa (girl native of medellin or the department of antioquia). There are a ton of marriage agencies and call girl services and even dating services that cater to gringos. The back-packers have given out a bad impression of being cheap and going the dutch way when they are out on a date with a girl. No girl is expected to pay when she is accompanied by a guy. No decent guy in latin america (even dominican republic) lets the girl pay on a date or dinner. So if you think you can go dutch with a girl, forget it. Foreigners already have a bad rep there. The colombian girl will not talk to any guy on the street or in a bar. In order for you to score there with non-hookers, you have to know them in advance, before you even go there. try Tagged and meet them there first.
Watch out for fake currency handed to you by cab driver in the dark. I was passed one, but it was only a 10K bill ($5 US dollars) so no big deal but some people can really give you big fake bills. Stay away from barrio type girls, you can easily get drugged and lose everything to the thieves. I would stay clear of bad areas. just be careful and don't act innocent. If you are the innocent type, stay away from colombia. Its for the big dogs. If you take your precautions and play the game right, you will be addicted to colombia in no time.
Good luck.
AZB

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Big difference indeed Mr. Frito.. It's simple, most of the criminals in Sosua will look to pick pocket you, or rob your cell phone..They will Kill your Gringo A.. In Columbia ...It's a whole different ballgame that your 6 visits to Sosua world did not prepare you for...

Azb has lived in the Dr. for years, and it is easier for someone like him to adapt and fit in...

And if it is girls you are looking for, Colombian pros are not the same as your average Weekender puta in Sosua...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
When I visited Colombia I went with a purpose, and I knew people there already. This helps but it can also be a hindrance. The cats I rolled with were absolute squares, and were shocked that a single young man wanted to hang out and meet young Colombian women. There is such a thing as too conservative.

Colombian men are just as machista as Dominican men. Some also have a very immature and perverted sense of humor that I did not appreciate.

Don't talk to women with that all-American nice guy bullcrap. Like in the DR, they'll just think you're an effeminate sucker. Be polite, but firm and assertive.

Case in point-when making a date with a Colombiana, YOU say where to go, don't ask for any opinions.

If you speak any kind of Spanish, it is better to speak slowly and with conviction rather than jibber-jabbering like an ignorant gringo.

The backpackers who are inundating Colombia are a real piece of work. Don't bother with them, bottom line. I met one who annoyed the hell out of me, all she did was go on about how she didn't have any money and kept asking me how she could eat and get around on 5 US dollars a day. Most of them are over-privileged trust fund brats who consider third-world slumming to be chic.

Take a bath, dress well and slap on the Var?n Dandy. You'll be straight.

DO NOT buy the Lonely Planet guide to Colombia. The person who wrote it never stepped foot in the country, and after repeated complaints they refuse to pull it from the shelves.

Don't expect to get the rock star treatment just because you're a foreigner. Colombia is not Sosua. Just worry about executing your agenda and maintaining your composure.

On average, the young women you'll see in Colombia are prettier than chicas you'll see slithering around on the North Coast of the DR.

And remember to use "vos" when referring to the second person singular, not "tu".

IBNYSD

Aug 12, 2009
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Well, I think I'm going to Colombia instead of the DR this trip.

One major consideration that swayed my decision was the almost daily harassment in Sosua on my last trip that I recieved from a certain motoconcho driver and a certain street hustler, with the motoconcho being the biggest pain in the a**.

Practically everyday the motoconcho would shadow me, always asking for money, which is funny because I never usually gave him any more money than the ride fare.

Also, there were a few Dominicans in town who, every time I 'd see them in the club, would try to hit me up for a free drink....don't mind doing that if there is some reciprocation, but of course, there never is....

Come to think of it, I don't remember in ALL of my times in Sosua (5) a Dominican buying me a drink...

Though in Samana, the locals were very friendly and bought me unsolicited drinks....

The more I think of it, I just don't think I am in the right mood to deal again with the "freeloader capital" of the Dominican Republic that Sosua has unfortunately become.

It will be nice to visit somewhere else where I constantly don't have to say "no" to the "street people": the shoeshiners, the hustlers, the motoconchos, the beggars, the putas, the street vendors, etc., etc., etc.........

Maybe you should go to San Diego...Just my thought!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Generally the people who travel to colombia and even colombians traveling to other cities rent apartments from daily to weekly basis. These apartments are furnished and come with phone/cable tv and internet. The nicer apartments can cost up to 100 dollars / day and if you speak good spanish and know how to look for a deal, you can get the same apartment for 50 dollars / night. I know one guy who can get you an apartment for around 50 us dollars / day. He will also be your driver. I didn't use his services as a driver because I didn't need him. He is a certified tigre so I didn't really want to have him interfere with my vacation. You may need him. The apartment is in Poblado and minutes drive to the main park (lleras) where the restaurants and bars are located. Let me know if you need his contact. He speaks good english too.
If you need additional options, look into craigslist for colombia and then look for vacation apartment section.
AZB

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Medellin

If your going for any length of time, rent an apartment.

Hotels, look on TripAdvisor.

Just for a few days and then on to Cartagena. I looked on TripAdvisor. I am trying to find a boutique type hotel. In Cartagena we may go for an apartment.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
here is what i got for $35/night in laguito

Just for a few days and then on to Cartagena. I looked on TripAdvisor. I am trying to find a boutique type hotel. In Cartagena we may go for an apartment.

cartagena (2007):
the beach sucks, black sand beach. The place in boca grande and laguito is expensive as compared to other cities in colombia. The beach is full of tigres offering you apartments, girls and pushing you to enter certain restaurants. they all get commission so they are aggressive. The drinks in touristy bars and disco are expensive and the girls are pro. Its sort of a refined version of sosua. I found the women there to be a bit on the tigra side. They are used to foreigners and they ask for money for their time. One girl was very vulgar and spoke of her multiple boyfriends and sex openly. She even used bad words in conversation. This is something which is completely absent in colombian spanish as far as the rest of the country in concerned (away from the coast).
On the positive note: cartagena is very developed in the resort area. Some places give you the impression of old miami. There are a ton of buildings side by side with apartments for rent (short time). I was able to rent one for 35 dollars / night a few years ago. It was the low season and I walked the streets and went into buildings, talking to owners. It was a great deal with beach front view.
here are the pictures of the place, only $35 dollars / night with kitchen, fridge, TV, a/c in bedroom and swimming pool on first floor of the building. I have distorted the pictures of my colombian girlfriend because I simply want to show you the bedroom and balcony with beach view in laguito area.

qs6s1g.jpg

5v2az9.jpg

25s4ob7.jpg

imtfnc.jpg

ng8s5.jpg

2e0pdp3.jpg

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I am beginning to regret a little planning only a few days in Medellin and then more days in Cartagena. Is it possible to go a little inland from Cartagena or further along the beach and find something lees touristic ? Maybe even inland to some mountain area.

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
Nope. There is a whole lot of nothing outside of the city. The touts are very aggressive to gringos. Because of the disparity between the poor and the wealthy and the lack of jobs there is a bit of desperation. Since, Colombians and their families vacation there the hookers aren't aggressive so if it isn't what you are looking for you won't have to deal with them. But as AZB said, that cute girl you decide to chat up may or may not be a hooker. They are there but not to the extent that a Colombian woman would be embarrass to even set foot in the tourist area. And there is nightlife where you won't have to worry about it all but you will be around women who are not interested in your gringo dollars and aren't inclined to try to communicate to some guy they aren't attracted to nor speaks the language.

I am beginning to regret a little planning only a few days in Medellin and then more days in Cartagena. Is it possible to go a little inland from Cartagena or further along the beach and find something lees touristic ? Maybe even inland to some mountain area.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Cartagena

Nope. There is a whole lot of nothing outside of the city. The touts are very aggressive to gringos. Because of the disparity between the poor and the wealthy and the lack of jobs there is a bit of desperation. Since, Colombians and their families vacation there the hookers aren't aggressive so if it isn't what you are looking for you won't have to deal with them. But as AZB said, that cute girl you decide to chat up may or may not be a hooker. They are there but not to the extent that a Colombian woman would be embarrass to even set foot in the tourist area. And there is nightlife where you won't have to worry about it all but you will be around women who are not interested in your gringo dollars and aren't inclined to try to communicate to some guy they aren't attracted to nor speaks the language.

Yes I am going there with my girlfriend and was hoping there where more things to do. I saw something on the internet about Vulcanos outside Cartagena which seems to be kind of a tourist sight. But is there absolutely nothing along the coast either ? Like when you leave Bavaro/Punta Cana or Sosua/Puerto Plata you can find some more remote beach areas. Seems to be a mistake to plan more days in Cartagena than Medellin. I have not booked hotel yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.