Living in SD or Santiago...

LIZ87

Sep 7, 2010
Hello,

So I am planning to move down to DR for school. I am not sure if I am going to stay in Santiago or Santo Domingo. The schools I am pursuing to go are in both places but I haven't made my mind up yet.

Which of the two places is cheaper? Is finding a apartment hard over there in either two places? Do they go by your credit to rent a place? How much are the average rent in either places?

Another thing, how much are electronics things down in DR compared to the US? I plan on bringing my 32 inch tv but not sure if I should just wait and buy one over there. What you think?

I need the most information I can receive.

Thank You

Nov 25, 2008
your missing a lot of info, study what?? HS or university?
cheaper is Santiago, electronics cost in the DR 50% more than the states

living where nice or not safe neighborhood? location, location...

Reactions: Bronxboy

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
She has said uni in another post.

Santiago is cheaper and easier to get around.
Depending on where you are in the US, get a Dominican shipper to send down your TV and the most important of your "stuff"...It is cheaper and less hassle. it goes door to door.

Nobody checks your credit to rent. As a foreigner they will ask for a guarantor, and probably if you are a Dominican, too...that I do not know. Usually get two months rent up from, some will ask for three...If you use a RE agent, they get a month's rent as commission.

Remember to call, okay???

HB

LIZ87

Sep 7, 2010
Yes, I plan on going to the university down in DR.

I have been planning on getting a shipper to send my stuff down to DR before I leave. I am actually searching around for the cheapest shipper.

I am was born in the US but my family are dominican and some live out there in Santo Domingo. Is there any sight I can search for an apartment on either of those places? I see getting the place on your own would be the best deal.

Depending on which school I decide is where I will be seeking to get a place. A job is something I also been searching for but I do know it won't be a easy task.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for the info...

baby bori

May 18, 2010
Hello,

So I am planning to move down to DR for school. I am not sure if I am going to stay in Santiago or Santo Domingo. The schools I am pursuing to go are in both places but I haven't made my mind up yet.

Which of the two places is cheaper? Is finding a apartment hard over there in either two places? Do they go by your credit to rent a place? How much are the average rent in either places?

Another thing, how much are electronics things down in DR compared to the US? I plan on bringing my 32 inch tv but not sure if I should just wait and buy one over there. What you think?

I need the most information I can receive.

Thank You
Liz87 quick question? Do you plan to reside and work in the DR in the future?? If the answer is not yet, maybe, not sure then possibly attending the university in the DR may not be the best thing to do really analyze the situation well before you put yourself through that situation and experience. You said you were born and raised in the USA its a whole different ball game in the DR as it pertains to the educational system. Though not perfect college and university studies in the USA its safe to say is more respected and competent worldwide than the DR. I don't mean to belittle or degrade the DR universities its a reality and even in the DR if you attended university in the USA you gain more credibility and respect don't believe me just go downthere and ask around. I have alot of love for the DR but I won't attend university there and my children won't either. If my kids want to go reside there after their university studies than thats on them its their life. My recommendation is finish your studies in the USA first then go to the DR don't fall for one of those illusion filled utopian dreams of having a great time in a DR university. If by some chance you get a degree from the DR and come back to the US employers will be like what is that school even some of the medical schools have a subpar reputation where mostly foreign students who couldn't get into their own country's medical schools come here to attend students with C's in their science courses and below par GPA.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If You Have "FAMILY" In Santo Domingo...

I suggest that you go to Santiago!!!
Unless they are rich,house,SUV, business. Otherwise they will be after you all the time to "Ayuda me por favor"!
Except that dominicans NEVER say "Please",OR "Thank You"!!ccccccccccccccccc

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
We can talk via PMs if you wish.

I can agree with Bori in that a degree from a good university is a wonderful thing to have. But I know it costs more for one year than a full degree program from the best university in the DR (at Dominican student prices). That can be a consideration.
I have also seen too many good students graduate from DR universities and triumph in a big way in graduate studies in Europe or the US or other nation. After all, graduate studies are what makes a career....

So Bori is being showing his ignorance of things academic in the DR. He needs to wake up a bit.

Liz, you need academic guidence, send me a PM/.

HB