Building a wood house?

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
Why only unhealthy concrete houses are built here? With no regulations nor norms regarding asbestos or other harmful substances.

Why not wooden ones? That are supposed to be cheaper, lighter and much healthier to live and breath in?

Shortage of lumber? Termites? Fear of an easy burglary and arson? Other reasons?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Hmmm, let's see...good wood is a lot more expensive than concrete, we have hurricanes, hot weather so propensity for fires, etc, etc, etc...You can use cheap wood and it may be cheaper, but then you're just providing a feast for termites.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Well treated and legally harvested timber is very expensive. I also don't think they have the skill in the country to work with precision with timber on such a speedy, large scale. If they ever did bring in the skill it would be expensive also.
When you see what Germans can do with timber housing it is beautiful, can't see that same work ethic or skill developing here.
Whack one block ontop of another and render it so no one can see the sloppy job is the way here!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
one: wood is very expensive. i am talking about something nice and good quality that would withstand the weather.
two: the weather is a major issue; it is hot a humid so in order to keep the wood in good shape you would have to treat it regularly.

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
two: the weather is a major issue; it is hot a humid so in order to keep the wood in good shape you would have to treat it regularly.

Florida is lot more hot and humid. However only wood houses ( one-two family, not high rises of course)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and do they last? i thought those houses fell apart as if made of cards with every hurricane...
my suegra has a wooden ceiling in her house. twice the price of cement but extremely beautiful exposed beams. maintenance treatment required thou. shame bacause dv8 likes a lot...

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
and do they last? i thought those houses fell apart as if made of cards with every hurricane...

Sosua does not have hurricanes. Also depends on what houses. Wood houses can be bigger and havier than most typical Dominican casas. Not a little plank shed.

Air quality and health in a wood house and a concrete house is totally different. I am surprised that no one here feels it.
I am not aware of any asbestos law in DR. And asbestos causes cancer. Even tiny amounts. We do not want cancer.

If not possible - very sad!

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Florida is lot more hot and humid. However only wood houses ( one-two family, not high rises of course)

What??? What Florida are you talking about? I don't think there's been a wooden house built in South Florida since Hurricane Andrew...

And what does asbestos have to do with concrete?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
sosua does not but many other places do.
it is not obligatory to use asbestos. houses in here are built with cement blocks and concrete, where is asbestos in that?
what i am disappointed in is lack of brick houses. i like bricks.

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
it is not obligatory to use asbestos. houses in here are built with cement blocks and concrete, where is asbestos in that?
QUOTE]

Asbestos is added in the production of concrete blocs and in concrete. It is a very cheap construction material. Also is commonly used here in all insulation building works.

Since it was banned in the civilized world huge amounts of accumulated/produced asbestos stock were damped into this country.

It was discussed widely in the media.

The law that is needed in this country most urgently - to ban or regulate asbestos. Asbestos=cancer.

But it will never be adopted - too much money at stake.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
QUOTE]

Asbestos is added in the production of concrete blocs and in concrete. It is a very cheap construction material. Also is commonly used here in all insulation building works.

Since it was banned in the civilized world huge amounts of accumulated/produced asbestos stock were damped into this country.

The law that is needed in this country most urgently - to ban or regulate asbestos. Asbestos=cancer.

concrete block sold in the DR has asbestos in it? is this true?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if they had we would all have cancer by now, don't you think so? i don't believe a word of it.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
QUOTE]

Where do you come up with this stuff...and why???

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com
Why only unhealthy concrete houses are built here? With no regulations nor norms regarding asbestos or other harmful substances.

Why not wooden ones? That are supposed to be cheaper, lighter and much healthier to live and breath in?

Shortage of lumber? Termites? Fear of an easy burglary and arson? Other reasons?
WTF?! What makes wooden houses that are prone to mold and rot in a humid climate healthier to live in??

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

Please show your references about widespread use of asbestos here.

Also, what is more unsafe about a concrete home than wood. In most cases the concrete home is safer.

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com
Hmmm, let's see...good wood is a lot more expensive than concrete, we have hurricanes, hot weather so propensity for fires, etc, etc, etc...You can use cheap wood and it may be cheaper, but then you're just providing a feast for termites.
The fire issue is important. Given the fact that most apartments and houses in the DR have bars on the doors and windows making a rapid escape difficult, I would much rather be living in a concrete building than a wooden one.........

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Well treated and legally harvested timber is very expensive. I also don't think they have the skill in the country to work with precision with timber on such a speedy, large scale. If they ever did bring in the skill it would be expensive also.
When you see what Germans can do with timber housing it is beautiful, can't see that same work ethic or skill developing here.
Whack one block ontop of another and render it so no one can see the sloppy job is the way here!

On the contrary there are many wooden "casas de campo" that are finely built.

Remember, even though they don't build most homes out of wood there's a carpenter to be found on every street corner.

Furthermore, he can build you a furniture set that will last 50 or more years if properly maintained. And it's cheap. Try that with anything from Ikea.