Dominican Salad Dressing

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
Is there a cooking/recipe forum on DR1? If so, my apologies, feel free to move this post to its' proper home.

Now about that effing salad dressing. Whatever that vinaigrette is that every restaurant seems to put on their salads in the DR (or at least in Cabarete) is the best salad dressing I've ever had. It tasted like it was mostly vinegar but I also saw some that had onions, tomatoes, and peppers in it. It seemed like every restaurant had their own version and it was all delicious. I can't find anything that compares to it in the US.

Does anyone have a good recipe for this stuff? My mouth is watering just thinking about it. YUM!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it is what it is, i think. basically vinegar with finely chopped tomatoes, onions and peppers. add some salt, pimienta and olive oil and voila, ready :)
but who knows, maybe there is a secret recipe for it, more complicated than sancocho :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
oh, i forgot a tip: chop the veggies and put them in a vinegar, in a jar. leave for the night, next day it is really good!

Jan 17, 2009
As one former Dominican cook I had in my former restaurant once told me, it's 100% white vinegar, mostly used to disinfect the lettuce so we don't have to wash it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Oh yeah, that sounds about right. I had a feeling it was simple. Thank you!!!!!

try an old campo recipe: slice onions, put in a jar, put some salt and just about enough vinegar to cover the onions (you can use any vinegar you want, i sometimes even use balsamic, gives a different flavour). close the jar, put in the fridge, use the next day. onion will lose it's sharpness and will be lovely in sandwiches or in salads.
or try this: chop the onion, add salt and some vinegar, to cover about half of the onions. shake well, put in the fridge for new hours. prepare normal potato salad: mayo, boiled potatoes, eggs, carrots and whatnot. add the onion with vinegar. delicious!

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
I've seen it made with with vinegar, oil and coarse sea salt...which you pound up with a mortar and pestle. I also make salsa and add that to the salad. The salsa consists of tomato, onion and cylantro with a little salt and picante if you like... I make it all the time myself.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I make my own version everyday for lunch. It has all the aforementioned but they realy don't add a whole lot of veg oil and they add water too.

Buen provecho!

XXKWISIT

Apr 15, 2007
what is the vinagre de frutas? you can buy it in the campo in a yellow plastic bottle that you have to cut the top off. I asked for vinegar in a restaurant for my french fries and what they brought me was a yellow translucent liquid and had to be shaken before you used it. It had a great taste and worked well on the french fries. Is this agrio de naranja?

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
I make my own version everyday for lunch. It has all the aforementioned but they realy don't add a whole lot of veg oil and they add water too.

Buen provecho!

you're right I forgot about the water....the first time I saw my boyfriend making it I asked him what he was doing because I thought it was strange to add water...

Status
Not open for further replies.