Trip to Sosua completely ruined by terrible experience at the airport

westmc

Aug 27, 2010
I just had an extremely bad experience at the Puerto Plata airport that completely overshadowed my positive trip to Sosua. I got to the airport about 3 hours before my flight and had no problems getting my boarding passes. The problems started when I went to security. After going through the x-ray machines, I was told that they needed to search my bags. At first they started pulling out a bunch of random liquids from my 1 quart bag and told me that it couldn't fly. Then they pulled out my tweezers, nail clippers, and TSA-approved scissors. After that it was my razor blade cartridges. Finally, it was my travel umbrella. I told them that it was all allowed and that I had been flying all month (with the JetBlue AYCJ pass) and had been to the DR before. They put the liquids back but said that nothing else could fly. I got mildly upset and asked for a supervisor. Some guy in a uniform came out and said that it was not allowed. They told me I could give it to them or check it. I went out and bought a small bag and went back to the ticket counter. I had a duffel bag and a backpack with me (both were carry-ons). When I tried to check the bag I bought, they refused and said that I could only check my backpack which I found very odd. I can only assume that they felt it probably had more valuable stuff than the duffel. I wound up giving the stuff to a woman cleaning at the airport. I went back to security where they acted like they didn't know me and searched my bags again. As soon as they finished, a guy appeared in jeans and a muscle-shirt and demanded to see my passport. He asked me if I spoke Spanish and I told him very little. He started asking all sorts of questions in Spanish. I was able to answer most of them. He told me to sit down and wait. A few minutes later another guy showed up in jeans and a t-shirt and told me to follow him. He brought me to some back area of the airport where I was brought to a detention area and told to sit. A bunch of guys were there (all in jeans and t-shirts) who stared at me while my passport was passed around to a bunch of people and many photocopies were made. Another American was brought in. He was also made to sit and had his passport passed around and photocopied as well. He tried to ask what was going on and was told that they didn't speak English. I sat there pretty quietly debating whether to send a mass-email for people to call the embassy, but they never took their eyes off me and I didn't want to pull out my phone in front of them. We were then told that we were going to be brought to the hospital to get x-rayed by some guy who came out of an office and spoke a little English. The other guy went absolutely nuts and started screaming and yelling. The guy with the office then suddenly announced that we could go. We were both marched outside of the airport back to the front of security where there was a line at that point. After we waited and got to the front of the line, a bunch of guys suddenly came up to us and demanded to see our passports. We were then pulled out of the line over to the side and told that we were being held again. A 3rd American was brought over as well. We were told to wait and once again nobody would answer any questions. The guy with the office who spoke some English came out and started asking us all sorts of questions about why we were there, how many times had we been to the DR, how long were we there, etc.. We all told him how we were doing the AYJC thing and answered his questions. We were then told we could go. I went through security where once again the same people tried to pull the liquids out of my bag, but then one of the guys said it was ok and I was allowed to move on. I went to the gate where some guy in a military uniform came over and stood 10 feet from me and stared blatantly at me while talking on a phone for about 20 minutes (until they started boarding). I thoroughly checked my bags to make sure nothing was planted while I waited. When boarding started, I practically ran up there. Before I even gave them my ticket, the people doing the "random" screening on the jet-way pointed at me and told me that they needed to search my bags. After they did that, I was stopped again on the jet-way by people in uniform who told me that they needed to see my passport. They studied it and then let me get on the plane. I was extremely glad to get out of there and will probably never go back as a result of this experience. Even though I probably only said 3 sentences and was very polite about them taking the stuff out of my bag even though it was TSA allowed, I can only assume that was why I had this "experience". I saw other people get stuff taken out of their bags and read afterwards about how they are known for this there, especially with batteries and to a lesser-degree, perfumes and colognes. Up until that point, I had enjoyed Sosua, Puerto Plata City, and Cabarete, but I will probably never go back to the DR again because of this.

westmc

Aug 27, 2010
So all 3 of you guys were on the all you can jet passes? Were you guys friends or just met after being detained?

None of us knew each other. From what I could tell, the only non-Dominicans on the flight were AYCJ passengers. There were probably about 10 of us.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Extremely tight drug search going on. More likely there were intelligence reports somebody with your profile would attempt to cross drugs to the USA. I would go crazy if I were you but glad everything went out OK.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Extremely tight drug search going on. More likely there were intelligence reports somebody with your profile would attempt to cross drugs to the USA. .

For sure it had to be something like that. People in authority here tend to act that way to show off. Too bad it was you're turn.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Of course you looked suspicious... being at the airport 3 hours in advance of your flight? Who does that!?

Next time, get there 30 minutes in advance. They won't have as much time to f*** with you! :bunny:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I don't believe for a second the authorities at airports-or anywhere else-randomly pick some poor schleb out of a group and rake him over the coals for 3 hours.

I suspect the xray was to look for drugs up your butt or in your stomach. Feel fortunate they didn't do an anal probe.

I figure you must fit the physical profile of smugglers or mules.

westmc

Aug 27, 2010
The whole detainment thing was personally very scary, but I am also very ****ed how they refused to let me fly with stuff like an umbrella and those Gilette razor blade cartridges are not cheap.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The whole detainment thing was personally very scary, but I am also very ****ed how they refused to let me fly with stuff like an umbrella and those Gilette razor blade cartridges are not cheap.
Were they the Fusion blades? I have had them taken and also an umbrella. There are several threads where others have also had the same items taken from them so don't take it personal.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Were they the Fusion blades? I have had them taken and also an umbrella. There are several threads where others have also had the same items taken from them so don't take it personal.

You know there is a stand somewhere that specializes in almost new umbrellas and Fusion blades......

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
Feel fortunate they didn't do an anal probe.

Anal and deep throat probe/search must be a standard routine boarding procedure in DR I think. Along with blood and urine tests and sperm count.
TSA needs to prove that they are not got paid for nothing.

Last edited:

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I'm not shocked you can't take an umbrella on a flight, or razor blaces, both can be weapons and I wouldn't even try it as I'd expect them to be taken.

I have had a bit of hassle at POP before, I remember filling in my forms and feeling like I was being watched by the plain clothed dudes that hang around but are more obviously police than those in high visability clothing.

I had my bag turned inside out, I was taken off behind a screen, not a room, pants pulled down and t-shirt taken off. When they tried to get a hold of me by the back of the neck as if they had found something I started raising my voice to be sure others could hear me, and just as the guy came back with my passport waved in the air the guys began to be slightly apologetic, and I was allowed back to the security, where a little dude tried to persued me to hand over my sunglasses with a smile, he got a bit of Del Boy from me 'no way Pedro' and I closed my bag, tutted and tried to show my dislike at having my pants pulled down by mumbling 'F-ing M-ther F-ckers' in a very cowardly and quiet tone, but it made me feel a bit better, lol. Walked off and never thought anything else of it.
I figure they had someone else in mind as the passport waving seemed to turn the situation instantly.

No biggy, just part of international travel these days, and looking like Johnny Depp in Blow, lol;):pirate:;)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Is it my imagination, or does this happen more at POP than other Dominican airports?

We've never, ever had a problem at SDQ, except one time I had a cuticle nipper taken away [right after 9/11].

AE

DRExplorer

Jan 1, 2007
It was just a one bad experience; don't let that alone put a black mark on DR.
Do you really think they will take you to the hospital against your will for an x-ray? If they did, you will probably miss your flight and they will have to pay for your airline ticket and pay for your hotel stay and more. But, I have a feeling that you will go back. :) :)

westmc

Aug 27, 2010
It was just a one bad experience; don't let that alone put a black mark on DR.
Do you really think they will take you to the hospital against your will for an x-ray? If they did, you will probably miss your flight and they will have to pay for your airline ticket and pay for your hotel stay and more. But, I have a feeling that you will go back. :) :)

I think it is a 3rd world country and they can do whatever they want. If they wanted to throw me in a prison to be raped and/or beaten on a whim, then I don't think they would hesitate or even need a reason like me refusing to allow them to x-ray me. I can't even imagine in my wildest dreams that they would ever offer to pay for an airline ticket or hotel for causing somebody to miss their flight. I wouldn't even imagine a country like the US offering that, just like I wouldn't expect too much from the US embassy if the DR did do something to me.

As much as I enjoyed it there, the airport was a real wake-up call to me. The nonsense of not allowing me to fly with nail clippers, disposable razor blades, or an umbrella would have probably made me question flying there again. Add the refusal to allow me to check them, the strange thing of them trying to get me to check my backpack, and then the detainment, release, and subsequent re-detainment and I don't know if I will ever go back.

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
I think it is a 3rd world country and they can do whatever they want. If they wanted to throw me in a prison to be raped and/or beaten on a whim, then I don't think they would hesitate or even need a reason like me refusing to allow them to x-ray me. I can't even imagine in my wildest dreams that they would ever offer to pay for an airline ticket or hotel for causing somebody to miss their flight. I wouldn't even imagine a country like the US offering that, just like I wouldn't expect too much from the US embassy if the DR did do something to me.

As much as I enjoyed it there, the airport was a real wake-up call to me. The nonsense of not allowing me to fly with nail clippers, disposable razor blades, or an umbrella would have probably made me question flying there again. Add the refusal to allow me to check them, the strange thing of them trying to get me to check my backpack, and then the detainment, release, and subsequent re-detainment and I don't know if I will ever go back.

Looks like it was your first visit to the Third World.
To varying degrees they all are the same. Trying to steal something from you by hook or crook.

When at security search they take from my carry-on anything that they like, I do not even protest. It won`t help. I try to hide all my little valuable things in old dirty socks and such.

They steal. And you can do absolutely nothing. Just be positive and prepared when travelling to the World #3 - everything that you have can be stolen. So you won`t be surprised nor upset. You knew.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
When did you fly last? Umbrella and razors? Seriously I would never expect to b allowed on an international flight with those as hand luggage. Is it just me?

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
When did you fly last? Umbrella and razors? Seriously I would never expect to b allowed on an international flight with those as hand luggage. Is it just me?

By the TSA official guidelines these things are allowed in carry-on. As well as scissors up to a certain cutting length, batteries, packaging tape, flashligts - all those things that are usually stolen from our carry-on at POP. I see it just as an extra tourist tax. Nothing personal. $50-$100US won`t kill us after all, right?

westmc

Aug 27, 2010
Looks like it was your first visit to the Third World.

I have been before but this is the 1st time I was messed with.

I have been flying all month with the JetBlue AYCJ pass. That was my 13th flight this month with at least half being international. Last year, I did 28 flights with the AYCJ pass including a trip to Santo Domingo. I have never had a problem before. Umbrellas, nail clippers, tweezers, scissors (with blades less than 4" or with blunt tips), and razor blade cartridges are specifically allowed by the TSA (TSA Permitted and Prohibited Items List).

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
$50-$100US won`t kill us after all, right?

Per person, that adds up to a hefty amount of money every day.
I will never understand why people just hand it over to them in perfect condition. I would destroy the items they want and throw them in the garbage first. **** them.......