New Google Phone Service

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Google Voice:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xtuxax8Dtk4?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xtuxax8Dtk4?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

rmpjis.gif

SantiagoDR

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
when I checked....

over the summer DR was not supported with this Google feature.

I switched over myself. I ditched the Crackberry (after a student died texting and driving I just had enough of it! ) and had Google voice sent to my landline. Now I just check my Google voice online to get all my messages and send texts.

Great product but I don't think it is in DR yet.

Reactions: Bronxboy

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
I tried to sign up for this yesterday but is not available in Canada, only the US at this time.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The video is a joke, but the phone is real. You can only register from usa or use an american proxy to register from outside of usa.
I have been using google voice for over a year (for free).
AZB

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The video is a joke, but the phone is real. You can only register from usa or use an american proxy to register from outside of usa.
AZB

Like AZB, I have also been using Google Voice for a long time, great service.
Mine is on an ATA box, so, not necessary to have the computer turned on for Incoming calls.

Just a little lite humor for those using Google Voice.

The video is from the "Onion News Network"........
Click Here: Onion News Network

They have got hundreds of great funny video spoofs.

Don

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
AZB
Me too... Since the first time you posted about this service, but it never work from or to DR as any time I get a voice message and try to reply it redirect me to a prepay calling plan.
Is that I'm not lucky with theses kind of service or maybe is the location where I live the problem???

JJ

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Me too... Since the first time you posted about this service, but it never work from or to DR as any time I get a voice message and try to reply it redirect me to a prepay calling plan.
Is that I'm not lucky with theses kind of service or maybe is the location where I live the problem???

JJ

Google voice works great to The DR (been using it for a while). You do have to add funds to call internationally...it's not free, but cheaper than the calling cards I was using before.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Bachata, you have confused google voice with the freecallpin.com. 2 different services and 2 different phone methods. I would try to explain this to you but I have a feeling you will become more confused. Lets just say, if you knew something about voip then you would't be so confused. I have google voice forwarding my calls to magicjack and to ata devices programmed to gizmo5. My computer does not have to be on and I get calls from usa for free.
AZB

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
AZB: That works well for a static phone at home. I'm looking for a solution that would let me get my phone calls to a cell phone in The DR when I'm there, that way I don't miss any calls and I can also be mobile.

I've come to the conclusion that there's no cheap way to do this and possibly the best solution is just to get 3g service in The DR and be signed into Gmail all the time, then have GV forward your calls to google talk.

My recent experiment was forwarding my US cell to google voice, then google voice to a service called Cheap International Calls with Localphone which forwards your calls to any international number. I tested it before I left The US and thought everything should work, but then once down there I started to miss calls. Apparently the delay between forwarded calls is too long so by the time the Dominican phone would ring it's already gone to voice mail in GV.

I wanted to get your input on this. I started a thread about it, but at the time you were banned and nobody here seemed to have tried anything like that.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
AZB: That works well for a static phone at home. I'm looking for a solution that would let me get my phone calls to a cell phone in The DR when I'm there, that way I don't miss any calls and I can also be mobile.

I've come to the conclusion that there's no cheap way to do this and possibly the best solution is just to get 3g service in The DR and be signed into Gmail all the time, then have GV forward your calls to google talk.

My recent experiment was forwarding my US cell to google voice, then google voice to a service called Cheap International Calls with Localphone which forwards your calls to any international number. I tested it before I left The US and thought everything should work, but then once down there I started to miss calls. Apparently the delay between forwarded calls is too long so by the time the Dominican phone would ring it's already gone to voice mail in GV.

I wanted to get your input on this. I started a thread about it, but at the time you were banned and nobody here seemed to have tried anything like that.
if I remember correctly, you visit cotui when you come to DR. On the paper your plan works well but in real life, good luck. I doubt if you could get a real fast 3g signal in cotui. Your connection will be to slow to work for voip.
AZB

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
if I remember correctly, you visit cotui when you come to DR. On the paper your plan works well but in real life, good luck. I doubt if you could get a real fast 3g signal in cotui. Your connection will be to slow to work for voip.
AZB

So apparently nobody does this (forward their US phone to a DR cell). You were my last hope.

Actually I used my brother's laptop the whole time I was there. He has the mobile broadband from Claro and it worked decent. Sometimes I would be talking and the other person would hear that electronic type of voice (a sign of a slowdown), but for the most part it worked OK. Not sure how 3g on a cell compares to the mobile broadband connection they sell for laptops. I would imagine they are both using the same connections.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
if I remember correctly, codetel does throttling to their broadband connection (3G). the first 4 gig are transmitted fast then for the rest of the month, the speed goes down to 128kbps.
If you have gizmo5 account then do the following: google voice to forward calls to gizmo5. Then set your gizmo5 account to forward calls to skype. Then have skype opened in your smartphone and you will receive calls on 3G. This is the best option and it will work better than any other option. Now remember to dis-activate any phone which is offline or the voice mail will kick in first. Example, take off your usa cell phone off the list because when the call is forwarded to all the phones on the list, the first phone that is offline (example USA cell) will kick in the voice mail and this will cause the rest of the phones to lose call (example: gizmo5)
This is why your Google voice was too slow to forward calls to DR cell because you had another phone on the list of phones in GV which kicked in the voice mail first. take off the phones that are offline and then have google vice forward the calls to your DR cell number. This should work fine.
AZB

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Bachata, you have confused google voice with the freecallpin.com. 2 different services and 2 different phone methods. I would try to explain this to you but I have a feeling you will become more confused. Lets just say, if you knew something about voip then you would't be so confused. I have google voice forwarding my calls to magicjack and to ata devices programmed to gizmo5. My computer does not have to be on and I get calls from usa for free.
AZB
AZB, I have a Gmail and Google voice account and my cellphone number is placed in this service so that I don't have any problem receiving my voice and text messages, my point is that when try to reply messages coming from DR area code from my inbox it won't work.

JJ

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
AZB, I have a Gmail and Google voice account and my cellphone number is placed in this service so that I don't have any problem receiving my voice and text messages, my point is that when try to reply messages coming from DR area code from my inbox it won't work.

JJ

You are right, they have stopped international text messages a few months back. Too bad, I used to use it all the time.
To send text messages to DR cells: Claro :: Escoge la Red, Escoge Claro 3G
it works well for claro.
AZB