Soon Security Camera in Sosua

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
For What!!!!

The bank atms all have cameras and that has not slowed atm fraud. A bank manager told me they turn in the pictures to the police and nothing is ever done. Will these new cameras have back up batteries to operate during the frequent electrical time out periods? Sounds like a waste of time and money.
Hmmmm, I wonder who will get the contract to supply, install and maintain the cameras!!!!!! Another solution that will benefit a select few yet appear to be genuine effort to solve a problem. Or am I just getting cynical in my old age?
I say no to the cameras just in case anyone ever asks!!! Instead take the money and pay the police a living wage.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
I can see it now ... film clips on youtube, and on a new reality tv show called "SOSUA" ...

Also ... married guys (and gals) hiding their faces as they walk down the streets :bunny:

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I think it is a good idea, there are certain aspects of Sosua that just can not, will not and shouldn't be changed, but any effort to improve the security and safety of the place should be welcomed rather than ditched before it even gets going. Anything at all to give tourists a bit of reasurrance after recent times is a good thing, it gets a bad rap for nothing less than being a tourist town, dealing with things that every other tourist town in the world has to deal with.
I give security cameras a thumbs up!!

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I meant alone on the street .....Im never alone in my bedroom (theres always a new gekko)

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
It shouldn't matter to you, I thought you were tucked up in bed with your hot chocolate by 9pm?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

2hoidso.jpg

Reactions: Bronxboy

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
interesting News.
will be very interesting to know at which points such cameras will be installed.
thinking about this very large Punta Cana Area we would talk about a very large number of Cameras needed, and a single person can only keep an eye on a limited number of screens, so there would also be a number of "Watchung" Guys/Gals be needed, and they need to watch all the time.
interesting thingy.
I have at this Time no opinion on Yes or No,
more info about details needed on how such system is planned to work ect.
Mike

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
Two things are going to happen:

1. the installation is going to cost 5 times the regular commercial price.
2. it will work for 6 months then start failing all the time then abandonned.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The DR is trying to mimic the US and European approach to crime prevention by using technology. Time will tell if the effort is worth it. This poster's belief is this is nothing more than a flash in the pan. The poor behavior of the government maintaining traffic signals and paying electric bills leads one to believe they will do the same with the cameras.

The units will end up stolen, destroyed by hand, or nonfunctional due to lack of maintenance.

Regards,
PJT

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
maybe they will get a small box...
cut a hole and paint it black...
put a pop bottle in the hole...
attach a wire to the back...and voila!

would work the same and save alot of money :)
with the constant power failures the real one wouldn't work anyhow :)

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Unfortunately I agree that they will not last long due to bad maintenance. Let's see if it ever even happens, I'm guessing we could be having this convo in 10 years time.