An internet (port forwarding) question

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I am with Delancer cable internet (comcast Sosua).

I think I have tried everything to open up a port so that I can view my wireless IP security camera on the web from anywhere.

It works perfectly from the confines of my own LAN and I have configured the camera to connect to a DDNS host. But for the life of me, I cannot open up a port for my camera.

I thought it was my Apple Time Capsule which acts as my router. But I have followed all the instructions on every website about port forwarding and I am convinced that my Time Capsule has the port that I want open.

I have tried various port checking sites and they all say that all my ports are closed.

Great for security for my computer, but not great for security for my house if I can't see the camera!

Does anyone know if these cable modems have their own built in firewalls?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I've just checked my IP address Whats My IP and it says that I'm in Fort Lauderdale!

Could this have something to do with it?

I know my way around most computers, but this networking and internet stuff leaves me completely baffled!

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
The issue is at the Apple Time Capsule router. The fact that you can see your camera from inside your LAN confirms it.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
The issue is at the Apple Time Capsule router. The fact that you can see your camera from inside your LAN confirms it.

I thought the same, but I have followed the instructions on how to forward the port on the Time Capsule.

I know the IP address of the camera
I know which port I want opened
I know the DynDns address and password

But my camera keeps saying UPnP failed which means that my DDNS host can't see it.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

2rdiyqf.gif

Having fun yet?

I spent weeks trying to work it out.

I have a PELCO DVR

So the following refers to it.

The IP ADDRESS for the Security Camera is the "INTERNAL" IP address.
(Not the one you said points to a location in Fort Lauderdale)

For instance, if you have a Linksys router, the Internal IP address is something like 192.168.1.xxx.
That will be the address for the Camera.

My Pelco DVR and all Internet ready devices have a mac address.
You use that for sending the Information to the DVR server.

Such as: 00231f920534.dvrlink.net (Mac Address is 00231f920534)

When you access that site, it will point back to your EXTERNAL IP ADDRESS and your INTERNAL ADDRESS of your camera.

My Pelco DVR has software I use to populate the above service and view the camera, I just had to point it to 00231f920534.dvrlink.net

I hope that is of some help, it is very frustrating to say the least.

Don

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
You do know that you can not access your camera from your own location except locally!
I don?t believe you can access via the DVR server from the same IP location as the camera.

BTW, I use Port 6100

24dk4zc.gif

I had to get a friend to work with me in trying to get it working.

Don

Last edited:

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Right,

I'm getting there, slowly.

I plugged my PC directly into my modem and then scanned all the ports with the software firewall turned off.

Everything is blocked. So it looks like I have a double NAT problem. I've called Delancer and they will get back to me tomorrow.

Although I'm not holding out much hope!

Reactions: SantiagoDR

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
One question, can you log in to the Delancer modem or it is setup in bridge mode? (bridge mode means just plug it and forget it, no configuration)

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Then the problem is at the modem, not at the router. That modem is a mini-router by itself and by default they have almost all ports closed, you need to be able to open them.

Try
Username: Admin
Password: 1234

Tell me the brand of the modem.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
It's a Motorola Surfboard.

There doesn't seem to be a login page where I can change the settings?

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Hey Beeza I did some research and that Surfboard modem SB4220 is in bridge mode by default (is not blocking anything). I have to head to work now but I believe the problem may still be in your router. When I get a chance at work I'll post a solution real quick.