Where To Buy An Inexpensive Gas BBQ in Sosua/Cabarete

daniel san

Mar 16, 2009
Hey All,

I'm looking to buy a gas bbq anywhere in Sosua or Cabarete. I don't mind if it's lightly used as long it works good. I also don't mind buying new. I just don't want to spend more than 6000 RD on a new BBQ. Is that even possible? I did a search but couldn't find anything.

All your suggestions will be highly appreciated.

THX,

DS

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
On the main highway in Sosua, almost across from Super Playero I think I saw grills there. I believe it's an appliance place - the store has a large glass front. Cant help you on pricing tho.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
No such thing as a cheap BBQ here just cheap BBQs. In Sosua across from Playero, in Cabarete at Luneres (sp) hardware store, in Sosua abajo on the main street,
Better quality at the resturante store in Puerto Plata just after the court house on the Left (where Alph's is).
In Santiago at price mart good quality as well.
All will be $$$$ figure at least 50%more then you would spend in the US

Bob K

Fleur de Santiago

Sep 20, 2010
In regards to a gas grill, I have checked out so many places here in Santiago and have come up with nothing in a decent price range. There really isn't even that great of a selection, as I kept running into the same small model that was WAY overpriced. I am willing to suck it up and pay more for imports but these prices were outrageous.

If you find anything on the coast, please let me know!

Latibbean

Mar 19, 2009
Sharing my own research

Hi all,

A couple of months ago I did my own research on BBQ.
Compared to the US, prices are of course ridiculous. After you digest the shocking truth, you then realize you don't have much choice but to look what is available in the area. Here are the places where I found something:
- Linares (Cabarete): they had one for around 15k$, not so great but big enough.
- Ferreteria Luciano (Sosua) had a small gaz one (brand CharBroil) for 8k$ (without the gaz tank)
- Corripio (Puerto Plata or Santiago) had only one big and quiet expensive.
- PriceSmart (Santiago) only had 2 models, not known brands and not that cheap.
- Ochoa (Santiago) had a few ones from Charbroil, nothing for less than 15k$
- Jumbo (Santiago) had at least 5 decent BBQ, nothing cheap as far as I remember.
- La Sirena in Puerto Plata had 3 when I went. A cheap one (not very solid) and 2 big ones over 20k$.

So after all that Product Research, I ended up going to Santo Domingo to check out what was there. A couple in La Americana, others in Cuesta and more importantly few ones in La Sirena.
I chose to buy one in La Sirena for 12k$ (only worth about 9k$ in the US). Here is the model: Char-Broil | Grills / Cookers / Fireplaces | Gas Grills & Cookers | Three-Burner Gas Grill with Sideburner

So if you are still looking, this list could be your starting point.

David

PS: It is of course worth it to have a nice BBQ to use weekly.

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
my friend searched high and low.

he ended up spending $300 us for his.

and he did not want anything fancy. he wanted a simple cheap gas grill.

Pierre malouin

Dec 18, 2019
Plancha/Griddle

Hi.

I do not have BBQs but I do have planchas or Griddles as they are called. They are LPG (propane gas) and can be used inside or outside. These units are for residential use Made of Stainless Steel with 2 burners, they offer great value for the quality. They are for sale at $10,000.00 pesos and include delivery in Puerto Plata, Sosua and Cabarete.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I gave up on buying one. I had one built that is a copy of the grill at Ali's Surf Camp. Cost less than buying one of the pieces of garbage they sell here for several hundred dollars. Works great and any part that corrodes over time I can easily replace.

The other option is to use a freight forwarder to bring a good one in from the US, but beware of rapid corrosion.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hi.

I do not have BBQs but I do have planchas or Griddles as they are called. They are LPG (propane gas) and can be used inside or outside. These units are for residential use Made of Stainless Steel with 2 burners, they offer great value for the quality. They are for sale at $10,000.00 pesos and include delivery in Puerto Plata, Sosua and Cabarete.

Can you post a picture or link to what those burners look like? Perhaps they could be the "heart" of a custom BBQ like I had made.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Winde, is yours charcoal or gas? I'd like a new cheap BBQ. Rough Idea of cost? Picture of yours?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Winde, is yours charcoal or gas? I'd like a new cheap BBQ. Rough Idea of cost? Picture of yours?

I used two propane "burners", green in color and made of cast iron, about a foot in diameter, a metal framework to hold lava rocks above the burners and then the grill a few inches above them, all to the dimensions of the one in Ali's Surf Camp. It is made of bricks and mortar. The cover and grills were custom made by a metal worker in Cabarete. I think the total cost was about $250 USD. Perhaps I can post a pic.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Make one

Get a local guy... use the gas to start your charcoal....

they make nice ones .. get a gas burner
then you can hot plate it or use to start charcoal - dual/double duty

I do it ....

Aug 21, 2007
Make one

Get a local guy... use the gas to start your charcoal....

they make nice ones .. get a gas burner
then you can hot plate it or use to start charcoal - dual/double duty

I do it ....

OK. Maybe this is a stupid question. Just want to understand before I damage my Napoleon professional gas grill insert.......so I can put charcoal in it and just use the burner to light the charcoal? And that won't damage the grill? And how to I clean out the ashes then?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Cleaning the ashes out will be the hard part.

Charcoal grills have a removable bottom tray
You might be able to keep the coals in a tray-aluminum pan type to ease the cleanup

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
No such thing as a cheap BBQ here just cheap BBQs. In Sosua across from Playero, in Cabarete at Luneres (sp) hardware store, in Sosua abajo on the main street,
Better quality at the resturante store in Puerto Plata just after the court house on the Left (where Alph's is).
In Santiago at price mart good quality as well.
All will be $$$$ figure at least 50%more then you would spend in the US

Bob K

3 times what you pay in the US for name brands, on discount sales they are double

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Why does anyone grill over propane ? It tastes terrible, imparts no smoke flavor.
Might as well just get a propane bottle and a torch and stand there and hold it against your meat.
Charcoal grills using mesquite is the only way to barbecue. Jumbo sells mesquite for the barbecue.
Once you have a top steak grilled over mesquite your will sell your gas grill to the guy driving around buy scrap metal.
I understand convenience but somethings are better the old way.

Aug 21, 2007
Why does anyone grill over propane ? It tastes terrible, imparts no smoke flavor.
Might as well just get a propane bottle and a torch and stand there and hold it against your meat.
Charcoal grills using mesquite is the only way to barbecue. Jumbo sells mesquite for the barbecue.
Once you have a top steak grilled over mesquite your will sell your gas grill to the guy driving around buy scrap metal.
I understand convenience but somethings are better the old way.

I agree. But I just do not have the time to wait for charcoal to light and get hot. When I finish work at 7 pm, come home tired, and then begin to cook dinner, I must look for convenience. It would be nice to have the option of using charcoal or mesquite in the grill. One of my fondest smell memories is of walking onshore in Mexico after snorkeling. It was early afternoon and I had not had lunch. A few Mexican workers were cooking some meet for their tortillas over a mesquite fire on the ground. I have eaten in 5 star restaurants, but that day, I wanted to invite myself to partake in their lunch.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I agree. But I just do not have the time to wait for charcoal to light and get hot. When I finish work at 7 pm, come home tired, and then begin to cook dinner, I must look for convenience. It would be nice to have the option of using charcoal or mesquite in the grill. One of my fondest smell memories is of walking onshore in Mexico after snorkeling. It was early afternoon and I had not had lunch. A few Mexican workers were cooking some meet for their tortillas over a mesquite fire on the ground. I have eaten in 5 star restaurants, but that day, I wanted to invite myself to partake in their lunch.

Get a charcoal chimney, light the mesquite and take a quick shower and it will be ready to grill by the time you dress and get the beef out of the fridge. Corn on the Cob is way better cooked over mesquite. Yeah I had the Mexicans grill my fish over mesquite in Ixtapa - incredible flavor

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The chimney and charcoal baskets is what I do oftentimes....

as to the OP....
there really is no such thing as a 'cheap' gas grill---- all are expensive these days