1 Year visa for DR

NYerinDR

Jan 9, 2004
Does anyone know how and where to get a valid 1 year visa after the 30 days tourist card expired. I am concern about my car insurance after reading DR 1 that the local insurance company will not pay if you don?t have a valid DR visa even you purchase car insurance.

I will be going to Sosua and plan to stay for 6 months or longer. Can anyone shed some light on this subject and how much would it cost for that 1 year visa. Thank you in advance.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
The DR recognizes the International Drivers License, which is availalbe at CAA. It's CAD$10 and it's good for 1 year. That's all you need for the time you will be here.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
The DR recognizes the International Drivers License, which is availalbe at CAA. It's CAD$10 and it's good for 1 year. That's all you need for the time you will be here.

that's some of the worst misinformation I read on a bord since a while.
where is written that such Intl translation of anybody's d-license is valid to drive down here without a legal Immigrations status?
use the search funtion on the Bord and you will find the facts including Advice from our professional BordLawyer

Mike

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
They do recongnize the International License

Like I posted before,

page 12 Manual de Conduccion Y Seguridad Vial.

You receive this manual when you apply for your drivers license.

Published by Secretaria de Estado de Obras Publicas Y Comunicaciones
Direccion General de Transito Terrestre.

It has to be accompanied with a valid license from your country of origin, and is good for one year. But is tied to your status.

Still waiting for Mr. Guzman to weigh in for an answer on the insurance aspect.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
that's some of the worst misinformation I read on a bord since a while.
where is written that such Intl translation of anybody's d-license is valid to drive down here without a legal Immigrations status?
use the search funtion on the Bord and you will find the facts including Advice from our professional BordLawyer

Mike

The International Diver's license is legal in many countries including the DR and I've had to use it. I did all the research before arriving here and as long as the IDL is accompanied with your original drivers license from your home country you are fine for one year. Here are a few links to educate you.

Drivers.com: Countries accepting International Driving Permit
International Driving Permit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can argue and call it the worse misinformation all you want, but the DR is on the International list.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
The International Diver's license is legal in many countries including the DR and I've had to use it. I did all the research before arriving here and as long as the IDL is accompanied with your original drivers license from your home country you are fine for one year. Here are a few links to educate you.

You can argue and call it the worse misinformation all you want, but the DR is on the International list.

You fail to recognize that no permit is going to allow for an action by an illegal alien. Your depending on sombody (insurance) to ignore that fact.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
You fail to recognize that no permit is going to allow for an action by an illegal alien. Your depending on sombody (insurance) to ignore that fact.

That's a totaly different argument. My point is that the IDL is legal in the DR for one year as per the 1949 Convention on Road Traffic.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Does anyone know how and where to get a valid 1 year visa after the 30 days tourist card expired. I am concern about my car insurance after reading DR 1 that the local insurance company will not pay if you don?t have a valid DR visa even you purchase car insurance.

I will be going to Sosua and plan to stay for 6 months or longer. Can anyone shed some light on this subject and how much would it cost for that 1 year visa. Thank you in advance.

WHY are you going to have a car if you are only going to be here for less than a year?

Do you need to invest $10,000 to buy one to get around?

As an American, there is no way to get a valid DR license WITH insurance coverage if you do not have residencia.....

There are moto conchos which can transport you about town.

And there are rental cars to get you away from town.

Investing money in a car for a year or less is ..imho... a big waste of money.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
That's a totaly different argument. My point is that the IDL is legal in the DR for one year as per the 1949 Convention on Road Traffic.

Hmmmmm, which means, in my mind at least, that a Dominican with dual-citizenship [US-DR] could get an international driver's license from AAA and not have an insurance problem in DR in case of an accident because there is no visa involved.....

Thoughts? Am I overlooking something?

AE

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I think he's saying that a tourist in DR is illegal after 30 days......

AE

What he is saying is a tourist in the DR, who is illegal in the DR, can drive.

Using his logic, I was giving the analogy of an illegal in the US then being able to drive in the US. I guess the illegals wouldn't need bogus licenses then.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I think he's saying that a tourist in DR is illegal after 30 days......

AE

....unless he extends his visa (tourist card) at an immigration office for 90 days, which is possible by paying the same amount as the "overstay fee" upfront. In that case he would be here legally and his foreign and/or international drivers license would be legal for a maximum of 90 days.
After 90 days you need a Dominican drivers license under any circumstances.
Everything else is wishful thinking or speculation. You will feel it when you have the first accident....

Reactions: MikeFisher

NYerinDR

Jan 9, 2004
"....unless he extends his visa (tourist card) at an immigration office for 90 days, which is possible by paying the same amount as the "overstay fee" upfront."

This is the answer that I am looking for. Can you tell me where is the immigration office in the North coast. And how much is the extension fee?

Is it 90 days more after your tourist card expired ( 30 days + 90 days )?

Can you extend your 90 days visa, or it is a one time deal......

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
This subject has been discussed before. See thread: Legal driving and insurance.

The IDL is ONLY a multiple language translation of your driver's license. That document (the translation) is good for one year. The IDL doesn't change the DR law which says 90 days and it doesn't give you more right than the DR laws give you..

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
"....unless he extends his visa (tourist card) at an immigration office for 90 days, which is possible by paying the same amount as the "overstay fee" upfront."

This is the answer that I am looking for. Can you tell me where is the immigration office in the North coast. And how much is the extension fee?

I don't know, and as far as I remember the extension will be granted by month. But even if you could, it would not extend the validity of your foreign and/or international drivers license for more than 90 days in total. But you could leave the country and come back and try to stay for another 90 days.

Last edited:

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004

The extension of your tourist card (it's not a visa which is a different thing) will be for the period you will ask. It's not month by month. If you want to stay in the D.R. for 6 months, before the end of the first 30 days period ask for a prorroga. It's not a one time deal you can ask more than once for a prorroga. Remember that if you ask for a 6 months prorroga and you leave the D.R. after 2 months you won't get a refund and the prorroga won't be good even if you reenter the D.R. before the end of the 6 months period.

Reactions: MikeFisher

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
The extension of your tourist card (it's not a visa which is a different thing) will be for the period you will ask. It's not month by month. If you want to stay in the D.R. for 6 months, before the end of the first 30 days period ask for a prorroga. It's not a one time deal you can ask more than once for a prorroga. Remember that if you ask for a 6 months prorroga and you leave the D.R. after 2 months you won't get a refund and the prorroga won't be good even if you reenter the D.R. before the end of the 6 months period.

Thanks for the update!

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Here is the tarifa for the prorroga of the tourist card. You will notice that it doesn't work month by month.

B - IMPUESTOS POR ESTADIA PARA RESIDENCIA PROVISIONAL O TARJETA DE TURISTA
VENTANILLA EXTRANJERIA

CODIGO DESCRIPCION TARIFA VIGENTE VIP
032 De 30 dias a 3 meses 800.00 -
033 De 3 meses a 9 meses 1,000.00 -
034 De 9 meses a 1 a?o 2,500.00 -
035 De 1 a?o a 1 a?o y 6 meses 4,000.00 -
036 De 1 a?o y medio a 2 a?os 5,000.00 -
037 De 2 a?os a 2 a?os y 6 meses 6,500.00 -
038 De 2 a?os y medio a 3 a?os 9,000.00 -
039 De 2 a?os a 5 a?os 14,000.00 -
040 De 5 a?os en adelante 17,000.00 -

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

You are Right until reached the only Important Point on the thingy that Matters, and that is that Your home And Intl Drivers license are not worth a crap in any country while Your Immigrations status in that Country is on "Illegeal", and overstaying Your 10 bucks Visitors Card Timeline is from the 1st minute on a "Illegal" Immigrations Status.
I ride with the Deporting Immigrations Officers from their office in San Pedro de Macoris to the Deporting Airport PUJ INTL twice a Month to bring such foreigners back home to Mommy.

No Legal Immigrations Status means every car Insurance will simply give a crap on paying for anything, but be assured that the others involved in a Accident will take all missing stuff from You, and You will not even be allowed to leave the Country before all Debts/Damages are paid and all in Court started Cases are settled.

good luck on your way
Mike