Phoning home

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordand

Apr 4, 2009
I'm sure this question has been asked before and if any one can redirect me,I'd appreciate it.--My wife and I are going to Blue Bay for 4 weeks in November and need to access our answering machine in Canada.Any suggestions to cheapest method-cell,land line etc.We'rewith Rogers and they don't work in the DR.thanks for any help

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
A. Buy a cheapee cell phone from a local phone store, shouldn't cost more than RD300-500 for a very basic Alcatel activated phone with a few pesos of credit on it, then just buy a local phone card when you need to reload.

B. Bring an old Quad Band unlocked phone, eBay, and buy a local SIM card, and activate at a local phone kiosk.

**A is the easiest!

tambo'

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
You can buy a prepaid cell phone here which will work on cards -i.e. you just buy the cards to replenish your minutes. You can buy them for about $20 with no contract - although I am not sure how you can get one at the resort (I assume that is a resort you are talking about?)

Alternately, you can bring your laptop (if the resort has wifi) and use SKYPE which can call any phone in the world.

The resort may well have computer banks that are set up with this.. You only need to put some money into a SKYPE account - and perhaps come with headphones with a mike.. Check with the resort about wifi..

Reactions: Tamborista

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
My Roger's blackberry works fine in DR... whoever told you that needs to be retrained...

However it is very $$$ to call from your canadian cell from DR to Canada - Roger's does have a plan if you travelling outside of Canada but it's still quite $$$

You can do as mentioned buy a cheap prepaid cell phone there or what I did was take my old Rogers cell and get it unlocked (either here in Canada or in DR - I got mine done in the DR) and this way you just have to buy a SIM card and phone cards AND you can use this phone anywhere just have to buy a SIM card whatever country you're in.

You can find used unlocked phones here in Canada on Kijiji.ca for a decent price too.
My 2 cents.

Reactions: Tamborista
Status
Not open for further replies.