Bok choy in santiago

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
There was a previous thread about finding fresh Bok Choy in the D.R.
I have searched for it but couldn't find it. If memory serves me, their wasn't a mercado that sold it here.....Until now.
Today, while purchasing fresh vegetables at El National, I came across a full section of fresh Bok Choy next to the Romane lettuce. They are packaged in a clear plastic and in perfect condition, the price is 36 pesos per.
When I got home, cooked a whole pkg with some white rice and soy sauce and it was delicious. I'm posting this so all you Bok Choy lovers now know where to purchase.

B in Santiago

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I have searched for it but couldn't find it. If memory serves me, their wasn't a mercado that sold it here.....Until now.
Today, while purchasing fresh vegetables at El National, I came across a full section of fresh Bok Choy next to the Romane lettuce. They are packaged in a clear plastic and in perfect condition, the price is 36 pesos per.
When I got home, cooked a whole pkg with some white rice and soy sauce and it was delicious. I'm posting this so all you Bok Choy lovers now know where to purchase.

B in Santiago

34ozdp3.gif

Transportation to El Nacional was provided by SantiagoDR ;) lol

S in Santiago

Reactions: Lucille

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
they even sell them green thingies in la sirena here in POP. i know because i once sent a messenger to get me lettuce and he brought me that.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

B in Santiago

Glad you found some but try using brown rice it's healthier or something;)

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Glad you found some but try using brown rice it's healthier or something;)

I've looked everywhere for brown rice in decent quantities to no avail.
All I find is brown wild rice in little plastic jars for close to RD400 and that is waytomuch for waytogo.

B in Santiago

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I've looked everywhere for brown rice in decent quantities to no avail.
All I find is brown wild rice in little plastic jars for close to RD400 and that is waytomuch for waytogo.

B in Santiago

Its called Arroz Integral and is sold in 2 and 5 lb packages...I think I paid about 120 pesos for a 5 pound package of Pimco. Some of the other big rice companies have it as well...All the supermarkets carry it, even some of the smaller ones but it's usually on the top or bottom shelf...almost "hidden" from all the white rice.

Bok Choy is called "espinaca" (spinach) in most places here, and can often be found in Nacional, La Sirena, El Encanto, Playero, etc...unpackaged for 12-14 pesos a bunch/head...

Reactions: mike l

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
arroz integral, yes, quite cheap in here.
waytogo, you must be talking about wild rice, very dark, almost black. yes, i have seen that, extremely expensive.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there you have it :) it looks like spinach therefore it must be spinach :)
i used to buy those small jars with imported pate from a local supermarket. guys packing our bags would look at the jar and then carefully place it in a bag with washing powder and soap (they pack similar things together, cebolla with papas and so on).
apparently they could not identify my pate as something edible :)

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
there you have it :) it looks like spinach therefore it must be spinach :)
i used to buy those small jars with imported pate from a local supermarket. guys packing our bags would look at the jar and then carefully place it in a bag with washing powder and soap (they pack similar things together, cebolla with papas and so on).
apparently they could not identify my pate as something edible :)

I'm a big fan of Chinese cooking and I know what Bok Choy looks like and tastes like. This doesn't even look close to looking or tasting like spinach, which I also eat a lot of. The packaging didn't even spell Boc Choy correctly, (Bock Choy).
In either case, I like them both so I can't lose......

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I realise it's not really chard/acelga - I've just been buying and cooking it as chard for so many years.

Try acelga ? la marocaine, old family recipe with garlic, paprika, cumin and lemon juice.
Chard Salad Morocco Recipe - Food.com - 167000

Works well with bok choy which Google tells me is AKA Chinese chard.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I'm a big fan of Chinese cooking and I know what Bok Choy looks like and tastes like. This doesn't even look close to looking or tasting like spinach, which I also eat a lot of.
you know it and i know it. do you think that supermerkado workers do? :)

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
you know it and i know it. do you think that supermerkado workers do? :)

so so true, at El National, they even had A&W Root Beer in the alcohol section with the imported cans of beer. I had a good laugh over that and stood there shaking my head.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Here's my bok choy and brown rice I made a couple of weeks ago

ivleea.jpg

I still like my swiss chard better but it was something new to try

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Here's my bok choy and brown rice I made a couple of weeks ago

Anna, that really looks good. I've started a new(another) diet and I am trying to become a vegetarian. So, I've been looking at all the possibilities and It's been a little difficult. I'm down to only eating a little broiled fish with the veges and in time I will eliminate that. Between high cholesterol and constant pain from the gout it just seemed the waytogo...lol

I never ate swiss chard, could you tell me a little something about it?

B in Santiago

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Anna, that really looks good. I've started a new(another) diet and I am trying to become a vegetarian. So, I've been looking at all the possibilities and It's been a little difficult. I'm down to only eating a little broiled fish with the veges and in time I will eliminate that. Between high cholesterol and constant pain from the gout it just seemed the waytogo...lol

I never ate swiss chard, could you tell me a little something about it?

B in Santiago

Swiss chard is almost the perfect veggie. Chard (leaves), all about chard or Swiss Chard on The Worldwide Gourmet

Never knew that when my dad grew it in the garden. I make it the same way as boy choy but I boil it just a little first. Fry some garlic in a little Olive oil then add the thick part of the stock before the leaves. I love it. I've never tried it raw yet.

Hey you know what I found better and healthier than meat. Peanut butter. The natural kind has everything you need as well as the good cholesterol. Never would have guessed it. I don't eat meat because I can't digest it as well as when I was young. I was eating a ton of veggies, beans and rice, some fish and feeling tired all the time but a little peanut butter has me feeling better. Go figure. But do get the natural kind with no sugar or salt or other junk in it

jadeanngel

Sep 11, 2010
yay this made my day, i have been needing to find some quality vegetables, and i love bok choy. thank you.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
It's acelga (chard) in Spanish. Espinaca (spinach) is darker and slimier.

I have (willingly) lost arguments here trying to explain the difference between spinach and bok choy with a few Dominicans... The funniest part of it is they will often have espinaca (bok choy) right next to espinaca (spinach) right next to each other...which don't look (or taste) anything alike...