Where to go for a family with kids - not all-incl.

Tetxu

Sep 29, 2010
Hi there,

I am planning to go to the DR in February 2011 for the first time so I have no idea what would be best for us. We are a family with 2 young kids (6 & 3) and live in a megalopolis. So we definitely want a quiet peaceful place. We want to rent a house and have been checking houses in 2 places: Punta Rusia and the Rincon Bay. However, it seems that access is not easy and I just fear that if anything was to happen, it would be difficult to go fast to a medical facility. As we travel with 2 young kids, it is something I need to take into consideration.

So I'm asking for your help to chose our destination! If you have tips regarding travel, beaches, houses or anything else, please let me know!!

Thank you very much for your help!

Maya

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Hi there,

I am planning to go to the DR in February 2011 for the first time so I have no idea what would be best for us. We are a family with 2 young kids (6 & 3) and live in a megalopolis. So we definitely want a quiet peaceful place. We want to rent a house and have been checking houses in 2 places: Punta Rusia and the Rincon Bay. However, it seems that access is not easy and I just fear that if anything was to happen, it would be difficult to go fast to a medical facility. As we travel with 2 young kids, it is something I need to take into consideration.

So I'm asking for your help to chose our destination! If you have tips regarding travel, beaches, houses or anything else, please let me know!!

Thank you very much for your help!

Maya

REMOTE and with nothing to do....

Are there really houses to rent on either of those beaches?

I say you look into Las Terrenas - like Las PAlmas or a place like that -[ where you will have pool, and electricity, and a beach,, plus some restaurants and place to buy food ...

unless you are looking for more of a "survivor" type vacation!

Reactions: Lucille

Tetxu

Sep 29, 2010
Thank you for your reply and the advice!

Since I have 2 young kids, I sure cannot do the "survivor" thing but I definitely want PEACE. I don't like resorts so that is why I am looking for a private house to rent. To answer your question, yes, I saw a couple of houses (not many I admit) but it says that it is difficult to get there...

Any other ideas?

Nov 25, 2008
your best bet so that the kids wont be bored is to go to an all inclusive, from the states you get great deals, better than the local Dominicans can get.
Don't make this vacation a survival test, ENJOY

Tetxu

Sep 29, 2010
Can't go to all-incl.

I need to be able to cook because of severe food allergies that hotels cannot provide for. This is actually one of the main reasons why I want to rent a house.

Plus the fact that I hate mass tourism (although I am aware I am also a tourist). I live with tourists all year long and don't need to see crowds during my holidays...

So I really am looking for a quiet, family-friendly place with a nice kid-friendly beach...

Thank you!!!

M ;-)

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
As MountainAnnie, I would vote for Las Terrenas, I did it with my two toddlers. It is not exactly quiet, but it is not a resort town (never been to a AI) and it is gorgeous. I rented both times and can give you some great contact info for rentals if you would like (just send me a PM)

I even managed to hire household help during my stay who cleaned, cooked and took care of the kids, now that's a real vacations (being from NYC her monthly salary was less than my weekly childcare expenses, gotta love DR) !!!!!!

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
Las Terrenas thumbs up

My vote also goes for Las Terrenas - you'll get the peace, tranquility, beautiful scenery and then some excursions close by if you want to do some tourist stuff. I'm not a big fan of how it is handled by the boat tours, but February is whale watching season and Samana where the whales all congregate is close to Las Terrenas.

I hear that the airport close to L.T. (EL Portillo) is quite well served now. Alternatively, fly to Puerto Plata (POP) and it's a transfer of just over two hours.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Las Terrenas does sound like the best option....especially the beaches just outside of town like Playa Bonita or Coson...plenty of rental possibilities, just quiet enough to feel "remote" and civilization is just 15 minutes away...

Also from there, you have many day trip options like The falls of El Limon, Playa Rincon, Las Galeras, Whale watching in Samana, etc...

Tetxu

Sep 29, 2010
Thank you so much everybody for your replies. Based on that, I decided we would go to Las Terrenas. It seems to be a good compromise. I really look forward!!!! Thanks again guys!

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
I'm gonna go against the grain here and suggest Barahona. I agree that Las Terrenas is a good option but I feel like Las Terrenas is getting too many suggestions lately :)

Barahona is much quieter than Las Terrenas and you will have more access to services than a place like Punta Rucia. It is also the center for eco-tourism and nature in the Dominican Republic. There is a long list of places to explore like el Lago Enriquillo, San Rafael, Los Patos, Cachote Cloud Forest, or the DR's top beach - Bahia de la Aguilas. If your children are small, this may be tough but it's just another option. There is a local tour company called Eco-tour Barahona that can take you to any of the southwestern attractions.

Two hotel suggestions would be Hotel el Quemaito or Casa Bonita. Both are a bit outside of town but they offer ocean views and more peace and tranquility than you can imagine. If you want to escape mass tourism - the southwest is the ultimate destination.

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
I agree with MountainAnnie. There are lots of great condos/aparthotels that have built in kitchens, and usually those places are a little closer to civilization than a house in case of emergency. VRBO.com has houses....they were all out of my price range but might work for you and your family. I enjoyed Cabarete but don't think it would be the best for very young children because the waves can be large at times. I didn't get the chance to go to Las Terrenas, but I really really wanted to. I heard the Samana peninsula is very beautiful with lots of "unspoiled" natural wonders. Enjoy your DR vacation it's an awesome country and I'm sure you will all have a wonderful, relaxing trip :)