Beach dogs near Cabarete East

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
Hi everyone,
I miss the DR more every day :-( Was looking at my photos last night and saw a ton of pics of these two adorable doggies that live on the beach between Cabarete East and a little east of Velero Beach Hotel. I had a conversation with some of the construction workers at the condo community where they like to hang out (usually under the cabanas). Not sure the name of the community...the workers told me the dogs do have a house next to the condos (I thought they were strays). They are always together and they are black and white. The one that is mostly white with a black head was pregnant when we were there at the beginning of September. I'm wondering if anyone has seen if she's had her puppies yet. The other one is also black and white and is very very friendly (the other is more stand-offish) I think the friendlier one is the mom and the one that is more shy is the daughter....they look a lot alike and they are never far from one another.

You guys, I'm a loser, but I really fell in love with these dogs. I said goodbye to them 3 separate times and cried each time. I made it a point to go see them every day.

Does anyone know who these dogs belong to and how they are doing? They have obviously both had entirely too many litters of pups; their bellies are sagging :-( I wish I could figure out a way to get them spayed but I heard the owners sell the puppies and wouldn't want them to be fixed.

Any info you guys have about these sweet girls would be appreciated more than I can even express. I get choked up just thinking about them.

MrRiley

Feb 6, 2007
They are still there.. saw them yesterday.. Don't know about the pups but I am sure she had them, that was awhile ago.. They are good..

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
You know how US Presidents visibly age in office? Well, I've heard that BronxBoy was at Duane Reade buying Grecian Formula for Men.......

:bunny::bunny::bunny:

AE

lol!!!!!!

They were there before I took on the role.

BUT, they are all over the place now!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
emily, think positively. many of these dogs do better than we think.
there was one of those homeless dogs near my ex office, i fed him few times a week. no home but pretty attatched to security guards in the area :)
2 years later i still see him sleeping next to the chair of security men. long live juan :)

ps i think you must be talking about ARABIAN formula, AE... time to get a bottle for yourself, methinks :) :) :)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
ps i think you must be talking about ARABIAN formula, AE... time to get a bottle for yourself, methinks :) :) :)

Grecian Formula is a US men's hair color product, don't know what the Arabian is!! Me, heck I buy it by the case! ;);)

AE

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
arabian formula is a dominican product for, you know, strenght... and vigor...

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
emily, think positively. many of these dogs do better than we think.
there was one of those homeless dogs near my ex office, i fed him few times a week. no home but pretty attatched to security guards in the area :)
2 years later i still see him sleeping next to the chair of security men. long live juan :)

Thanks :) I know....I was so sad for them thinking they were homeless, but then the construction workers told me they have a home and someone who cares for them. They're well-fed and seem very happy...I get choked up thinking of them just because I love them soooo much and worry about them a little. But I learned from a few locals that they've lived there for years and years. The construction workers thought it was HILARIOUS that I was so obsessed with the dogs and a couple of them even took pics of me snuggling them...haha...

I was very surprised by how well the strays seem to do for themselves in Cabarete. But those doggie girls would live a longer, healthier life if they were spayed! Does anyone know about how much a mutt puppy sells for on the North Coast? I'm wondering if I were to pay for the sterilization AND throw in some compensation for the owners if they'd be more inclined to give the go-ahead. Yes, yes, I know this is opening myself up to a scam. I wouldn't send any money it would be something I'd make sure was done myself, and I'd want to meet the owners and talk to them.

Here in the US it's considered very irresponsible to let your dog run around getting pregnant and having puppies (even though lots of people do it) but I realize that 1) it seems to be a cultural difference, I saw a lot of pets in the DR that were well cared for but not fixed 2) the cost of sterilization is probably prohibitive to the average Dominican pet owner (I mean, Jesus, owning a cat and a dog responsibly here in the US puts a serious dent in my wallet!) 3) the puppies do provide a much-needed source of additional income.

Just wondering if there's a way I could work something out to where my black and white doggies could be healthier and happier, we could keep the stray dog population down in Cabarete, and the dogs' owners could still be happy!

And I'll keep saying it...give those black and white dogs some love for me. You'll be glad you did. They always return it!

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I'm not sure if they are the same dogs, but when I was there last time, there were three dogs that followed me around. They hung out with me in the morning and when I went back out later we watched the kiteboarders on kite beach and bozo beach together. Two of the dogs found a family playing along the shore and were running back and forth having a great time. They seem to be having a wonderful life living along the beach. I didn't feed them or anything, but they were buddies for a few days...

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
Thanks :) I know....I was so sad for them thinking they were homeless, but then the construction workers told me they have a home and someone who cares for them. They're well-fed and seem very happy...I get choked up thinking of them just because I love them soooo much and worry about them a little. But I learned from a few locals that they've lived there for years and years. The construction workers thought it was HILARIOUS that I was so obsessed with the dogs and a couple of them even took pics of me snuggling them...haha...

I was very surprised by how well the strays seem to do for themselves in Cabarete. But those doggie girls would live a longer, healthier life if they were spayed! Does anyone know about how much a mutt puppy sells for on the North Coast? I'm wondering if I were to pay for the sterilization AND throw in some compensation for the owners if they'd be more inclined to give the go-ahead. Yes, yes, I know this is opening myself up to a scam. I wouldn't send any money it would be something I'd make sure was done myself, and I'd want to meet the owners and talk to them.

Here in the US it's considered very irresponsible to let your dog run around getting pregnant and having puppies (even though lots of people do it) but I realize that 1) it seems to be a cultural difference, I saw a lot of pets in the DR that were well cared for but not fixed 2) the cost of sterilization is probably prohibitive to the average Dominican pet owner (I mean, Jesus, owning a cat and a dog responsibly here in the US puts a serious dent in my wallet!) 3) the puppies do provide a much-needed source of additional income.

Just wondering if there's a way I could work something out to where my black and white doggies could be healthier and happier, we could keep the stray dog population down in Cabarete, and the dogs' owners could still be happy!

And I'll keep saying it...give those black and white dogs some love for me. You'll be glad you did. They always return it!

Emily, if you want to do something like that, contact Dr. Bob Amelingmeir and Judy's Pet Lodge; these are the real heroes of the stray dog brigade, not just of Cabarete, but also the North Coast as a rule.

Judy is overrun with stray mutts (and I use the term lovingly as Dominican dogs make truly wonderful, intelligent and loyal pets). Bob, when he's not busy being a Vet is treating the poorest of the human population of the D.R. who cannot afford a regular Doctor.

Here are their contact details

About Dominican Crossroads

Asociacin De Amigos Por Los Animales De Sosa, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.