Hair salon in Punta Cana

SALIME

Sep 14, 2010
Can anyone refer to a good hair salon in Punta Cana? I will be traveling there for a wedding next week and I don't want to pay the hefty price that the resort is charging?:ermm:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Where in Punta Cana? Bana in Punta Cana Village is not cheap by DR standards but it is reasonable by European standards.

Salon Paris in Los Corales has Anna, an excellent Italian stylist who I started going to after she was recommended here on DR1. I prefer her to the Bana stylists but they are also very good.

Generally, hair salons in the DR are all over the place and are mostly good. Punta Cana Bavaro is no exception, there's one or two in most plazas. The resort salons will always be more expensive.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I was there yesterday and Anna told me she is leaving - temporarily - and returns to B?varo in two or three months time.

SALIME

Sep 14, 2010
I will be staying at Paradisus Palma real...
They ask $80 for an updo(just putting ur hair in poney tail and add curls) this is outrageous! i dont even pay that in the US why in the world I would pay that in DR, a third world country(I am not being judgmental here, I am from a third world country my self).
I have been to dominican hair salons, my hair dresser in the USA is from the Domincan Republic and they have hair salons all over DR. Since it is my first time in Punta Cana, I just needed a recommendation.
so maybe someone can refer to a salon that is not far from PPR.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Just a hunch - this may be an inflated "wedding package" price that they're quoting you. If you're staying in PPR and make your own way to the salon either at the hotel or at the Shopping Village attached to the complex you may be able to negotiate a more standard rate.
Otherwise you would have to pay the very non-third world taxi rates to get to one of the local salons in Cortecito, not really within walking distance, and that would cancel out any savings made.

Reactions: SKY

SALIME

Sep 14, 2010
really? thanks.. this is based on the price list sent to me by the Spa. But I will check with the salon and/or shopping village when I get there. How far would you say the nearest pueblo/city is to PPR?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
That's the thing. The Punta Cana-B?varo area is 40 kms of sprawl, without a defined town centre. The Cortecito area which has lots of shops and businesses is a 10-minute drive, Ver?n (the closest thing approximating to a pueblo) is 15 mins away. The nearest city is Higuey, 50 minutes away.

SALIME

Sep 14, 2010
So you beleive I can find a salon in the The Cortecito area? In that case, do you think there may be any "guagas" in the area? Or I will have to resort the "American version" of a dominican taxi and the hight price that it comes with? How much do you think they will charge me? I need a balk park number so I can negotiate? Once they see "american money" than they tend to jack up the price, so I need to know how much it usually charge so I can bargain.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, guaguas and motoconchos travel along that route. The bus company is charmingly called Traumabapu. :)

The cost of the taxi could hike the price up to more than you would pay at the resort, but I may be wrong as Palma Real to Cortecito is quite a short distance. Apart from Salon Paris at Los Corales I don't know any specific salons but there are sure to be several in the main part of Cortecito/Plaza B?varo area.

If it were me, and I hadn't managed to get a better price in the resort or at the salon in Palma Real Shopping Village, I would ask a female Dominican staff member at the hotel to recommend a nearby salon and negotiate a price with the taxi drivers in the car park.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
A salon at Palma Real is the same as the hotel. A rip off. And the taxi's will do a number on you. I know a guy that paid $50 at night from the movie theater in Palma Real to the Photo Bar. Of course this guy had no clue.

SALIME

Sep 14, 2010
I know taxis will try to get rich on you, which is why I wanted to have an idea of how much they will charge una "dominicana"! If they can charge a native X amount of money, you best beleive they will not catch me paying more than that... I may not be from DR, but I am not going to pay Non DR prices...

losflor

Sep 4, 2010
I was there yesterday and Anna told me she is leaving - temporarily - and returns to B?varo in two or three months time.

Chiri I read with interest your recommendation - really need a hair colour - but you say your Anna is leaving!

Do you have any other recommendations - I had problems in Mexico - either orangey hair or nearly black hair from colourists. I just wanted my grey covering and I'm a regular brunette (well used to be).

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Well, she may not have left yet - go to Sal?n Paris and ask. Otherwise if you can make your way down to Punta Cana Village the Bana salon is high quality - prices to match. PM me if you'd like to meet up sometime.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Palma Real toCortecito on Daytime, no nightshift, should not exceed 15 bucks US one way. but I doubt that the Salon there would fit the hair for less than 30US$, so you would be very close to your figure of the wedding package hairstyle.
I would stick with the Resort Salon in that specific case and not take risks anywhere just to save 20 bucks on the total cost of a Destination Wedding in the Caribbean.

LosFlor,
if you are in the bavaro Area there is also a recommended one right aside of Steve's Bar at Plaza Bavaro, the owner is named Jennifer.
Yes,
I am a Male and don't use the women's Salon, lol,
but my ole Lady been there last week and she liked it a lot, specially she raved about the cheapy price she paid, and that's Rare that she get's impressed about the Rate, it's anyways the "Boss" who finally has to pay the Bill, lol.
she will be back there on Monday.
Mike

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Bavaro Car Wash has a salon that is highly recommended by the hookers. And don't laugh, who knows more about Salons than Putas.

losflor

Sep 4, 2010
LosFlor,
if you are in the bavaro Area there is also a recommended one right aside of Steve's Bar at Plaza Bavaro, the owner is named Jennifer.
Yes,
I am a Male and don't use the women's Salon, lol,
but my ole Lady been there last week and she liked it a lot, specially she raved about the cheapy price she paid, and that's Rare that she get's impressed about the Rate, it's anyways the "Boss" who finally has to pay the Bill, lol.
she will be back there on Monday.
Mike[/QUOTE]

Will check it out - thanks, expect a full report in a few weeks of my salon experiences!