Where to live for the best golf?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
No doubt: Punta Cana.

Punta Espada is the most magnificant golf course I've ever touched.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'm not a golfer, but I agree with Cobraboy. 80% of the courses are in Punta Cana. Plus you have La Romana with Casa de Campo that isn't that far away.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I would suggest Bavaro Punta Cana since you have plenty of nice golf courses in the area and more to come but you need very good retirement money to be able to live there and golf is expensive there, too. You could live right on a golf course.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Punta Cana/Cap Cana/Bavaro

In second place La Romana...remember there are five great courses to play on...

However, guys usually play just one or two courses on a regular basis. Like when I was playing a lot, I played Santiago and Playa Dorada with Bonao and Jarabacoa and Sto Dgo CC and La Romana as Tournaments came up...But my "people" were at Santiago, day in and day out.

There are also serious monetary concerns. If I was truly wealthy, Cap Cana is unquestionably a fabulous place to play, but it is much cheaper to play Jarabacoa, Santiago or POP on a daily basis..Also Metro or Guavaberry for folks who are retired.

Golfers do not need fabulous Nicklaus, Norman or Faldo courses to play..They need a good 19th hole and nice people.

Random thoughts from an old duffer.

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
She's not, as far as I know - must be researching on someone else's behalf. But it would be nice if she moved to the east, golfer or no golfer.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
MA

I used to live in Orlando and we had a ton of courses but coulD not afford to play at many of the gc's due to costs of over US100 a round. Most people anymore are looking at between US25 and 50. Therefore, I would ask what they are charging for a round at the mentioned gc's.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I agree with Hillbilly - the 19th hole and the "regulars" are a huge factor in choosing a "home" course.

I think you should also take into account the handicap and reason the person wants to golf. A low handicapper with experience on great courses previously would want something different in a home course than someone who is more casual about golf and just wants to enjoy a pleasant few hours of activity outside during the days of retirement.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
BermudaRum: Even witha FEDOGolf card, it costs as much to play out in the East as it does along the Robert T Jones Golf Trail in Alabama. Or Orlando!

Everyday golf should not break the bank...

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
BermudaRum: Even witha FEDOGolf card, it costs as much to play out in the East as it does along the Robert T Jones Golf Trail in Alabama. Or Orlando!

Everyday golf should not break the bank...

HB
As you know, it costs a LOT to build and maintain a golf course. Seeme there are more courses-some really superior ones-in the DR than there are local and foreign golfers. So the courses have to make their bones with fewer golfers, and the prices are high.

AFAIK, tee times here mean just walk up and wait a few minutes. There are courses in FL that are filled months in advance.

Big difference.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Playa Dorada

Cobra, HB, hope you guys can come have some fun at the 3rd Annual next Saturday morning. Charity event. Try to make it.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
BermudaRum: Even witha FEDOGolf card, it costs as much to play out in the East as it does along the Robert T Jones Golf Trail in Alabama. Or Orlando!Everyday golf should not break the bank...HB

I assume the OP was asking what would be the best area in the DR and not in the states to retire and play some golf. As you know the Fedo membership and benefits covers the entire DR. So if variety is the spice of life, then where else besides PC/Bavaro would anyone choose to play?
Fedo member rate w/ each of these courses in the PC/Bavaro, and you also you receive one free round on each during the months of May-Oct.

Annual membership rate $150.00

Courses/ Fedo Green Fee US$ / non Fedo

Barcelo G.C. $47.00 /$68.00
Cana Bay G.C. $55.00/$220.00
Catalonia G.C. $48.00/$ 130.00
Cocotal G.C. $68.00/$ 130.00
La Cana G.C. $48.00/$136.00
*Iberostate G.C. $50.00/$125.00
**La Estancia G.C. $78.00/$ 90.00
Punta Blanca G.C. $53.00/ 75.00
In addition, if you can volunteer for the Cap Cana Championship in March you receive a free round on the course. $250.00 value * Fedo Rate $100.00

*IMHO this is the #1 course for any level of golfer in the area.
** 1 hour drive, but well worth a day of golf.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Where to live for the best golf?

Location is unimportant... bad golf follows me wherever I go :paranoid:

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
If money is not an obstacle, Casa de Campo, hands down, no matter what the rest of DR1 community says. If money is, but it still will not be cheap, Punta Cana. Keep in mind when reading my "opinion" I am a P.G.A. club professional.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I agree with DR Golfer...I wonder if he lives in Santiago??? We have a great former PGA pro here too...

The quality of the people and the layouts in Casa de Campo are outstanding, unless they have changes a lot over the past 5 years or so..

HB