*** Chat Room ***

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'm hearing a few posters are not happy and avoiding the chat room.
Let's update a few myths and put to rest some of the gossip.

Yes, all chats are logged. They have been ever since we have had a chat room, 6-7 years.
This is no secret, it's been discussed in the chat room and on the board before.

Why do we log chats? In case we have an issue of abuse or we are ever forced legally to account for what goes on in our chat room. Remember, it's DR1 they go after first.
If you're going to abuse people or get offensive, do it outside of DR1.
Message board, PM, chat, whatever, it all comes under DR1, so the same rules apply.

As a joke and to make a point, I said I was going to create a new forum based on the years of chat logs and I guess a few people got upset or scared. Yes, it was a joke and I have no intent of posting the chat logs, despite some of the negative stuff and obvious abuse that is thrown at some posters that are not regular chat participants.

Banned or on vacation posters technically cannot get access to the chat, so I thought.
Apparently the software has a glitch. The chat software is supplied by a 3rd party company, despite having to pay for upgrades, service etc, they are slow in fixing minor stuff.
It's being worked on and hopefully resolved this week.

I hope that clears some of the recent gossip.

If you have any questions, post them here or PM me.

Thanks.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
please warn us next time you make a joke ! the gossip came from you as you stated that conversations in chat would be logged and placed on a thread for everyone to read

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
jr, I was in the Chat Room that night too, and both Robert and Anna had us going for a bit :confused:, but they then laughed and Robert told us he was just kidding. I guess some people [including you] left the room before the 'confession' and that's how it got told incorrectly.

Everyone, Whirleybird is a wonderful hostess each night in the Chat Room, just click on the link in the blue bar above and join in.

AE

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Why would you post stuff in chat you wouldn't want folks to see in the first place?

It's public!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Why would you post stuff in chat you wouldn't want folks to see in the first place?

It's public!

CB, we never gave any thought about it being public. Perhaps foolish, perhaps naive, but true. Sometimes if I was in there alone with Whirleybird she and I talked about personal family matters - and I'm sure I wasn't the only one who did that. In there we regularly used our real names, exchanged real e-mail addresses and personal information, even home addresses because I needed to mail something once to another DR1er who was in there.

AE

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
CB, we never gave any thought about it being public. Perhaps foolish, perhaps naive, but true. Sometimes if I was in there alone with Whirleybird she and I talked about personal family matters - and I'm sure I wasn't the only one who did that. In there we regularly used our real names, exchanged real e-mail addresses and personal information, even home addresses because I needed to mail something once to another DR1er who was in there.

AE
Y'all should just do Skype. Then it's more private.

Reactions: Tamborista

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Nothing we put out in cyberspace is 100% private, emails, other chat rooms, msn,yahoo, cell calls, twitts, nothing! ;)

Like I said that night, why do you guys think I always tell you Robert is such a great guy :laugh: I've mentioned many times that the chat is logged but who the heck has time and patience to read all that stuff unless there is a problem.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Nothing we put out in cyberspace is 100% private, emails, other chat rooms, msn,yahoo, cell calls, twitts, nothing! ;)

Like I said that night, why do you guys think I always tell you Robert is such a great guy :laugh: I've mentioned many times that the chat is logged but who the heck has time and patience to read all that stuff unless there is a problem.

Just wanted to add that I don't have a problem with it being logged, I understand why DR1 has to protect itself legally. It was just the possibility the old logs were going online in a forum that momentarily stunned me. The whole discussion probably lasted less than 5 minutes that night before Robert fessed up that he was kidding?????

Whirleybird, Matilda and jr have told me several times that understanding British humor is an acquired ability. Guess I haven't acquired it yet :laugh::laugh::laugh:

AE

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Just wanted to add that I don't have a problem with it being logged, I understand why DR1 has to protect itself legally. It was just the possibility the old logs were going online in a forum that momentarily stunned me. The whole discussion probably lasted less than 5 minutes that night before Robert fessed up that he was kidding?????

Whirleybird, Matilda and jr have told me several times that understanding British humor is an acquired ability. Guess I haven't acquired it yet :laugh::laugh::laugh:

AE

Well apparently the Brits didn't get it either:laugh:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
...... Whirleybird, Matilda and jr have told me several times that understanding British humor is an acquired ability. Guess I haven't acquired it yet :laugh::laugh::laugh:

AE
Hear ye! - - Hear ye!

2mza82a.gif
If it sounds weird and people are laughing, then it must be British Humour (Humor)

Reactions: Bronxboy