4G is coming (wind telecom)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I was talking to wind telecom folks this afternoon and it seems like they are almost set to launch 4G network in santiago and santo domingo. No prices, speed or combo packages have been publicized yet but they are ready to launch the service in 2 weeks.
Please do not refer me to the samsung and wind telecom webpage news article. I know all about that. I want to know if anyone knows the inside knowledge on pricing and speed of the internet. I know they will not offer HDTV yet but they are working on it.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Is Wimax, so yes is only data, although you can route VOIP through there.

yes its wimax and yes they are talking about data and voip. I guess they will route your dominican line through voip as they are talking about programming ata and even sip software phones etc. They will even sent Tv channels through it.
AZB

Feb 7, 2007
Planes Locales

US$4.32 inc. taxes for inbound DID from DR from a reliable provider... nobody can beat that price
I don;t think they do SIP URI so you will need to "register" your SIP device to receive calls. I am working on a big personal project to link Asterisk, free SIP calling provider who includes DR, Wind Telecom DID inbound, and GSM to VOIP gateway linked with my Orange fleet number to create "free everywhere to anywhere" system for me to receive and send free outbound calls from home/office/cellular.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
the "DID" is great as you can program your ipod touch to receive local calls when connected via wifi or take the programmed ata box to usa and receive free inbound local DR calls to your ata unit.

americanized

Nov 17, 2004
Ok now that the service is here is Santiago, any real-world experience to share (as to speed, reliability on connection, movility, etc). They "unlimited" speed for their high-end offer, but they don't say what that means (there is always a limit).

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Now is four G and next month will be 5 G and in March 2011 will 6 G.... You gonna get crazy following all those G.
I have cellphone to talk on phone and computers to connect to the internet.

JJ

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Now is four G and next month will be 5 G and in March 2011 will 6 G.... You gonna get crazy following all those G.

JJ

Hey Bachata, it matters if you want to watch Netflix or Hulu through your computer or cellphone without the video stuttering any place in the city.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
The thing is that I'm an old fashion and a very careful person spending my money, my wife call me stingy all time when I stop her from buying all kind of junks that we don't need.
She was trying to get a Netflix subscription two or three months ago and said no, we have a cable service, we don't need to have an additional $10. Dollars monthly bill.
I use a prepay cellphone 1500 minutes/ month $ 30. bucks, why to pay a monthly bill $$$$ to have an Iphone if I really don't need it.

Abrahan Lincoln said this phrase:
Take care of the penny that the Dollar takes care of it self.

JJ

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006

JJ

The thing is that I'm an old fashion and a very careful person spending my money, my wife call me stingy all time when I stop her from buying all kind of junks that we don't need.
She was trying to get a Netflix subscription two or three months ago and said no, we have a cable service, we don't need to have an additional $10. Dollars monthly bill.
I use a prepay cellphone 1500 minutes/ month $ 30. bucks, why to pay a monthly bill $$$$ to have an Iphone if I really don't need it.

Abrahan Lincoln said this phrase:
Take care of the penny that the Dollar takes care of it self.

JJ

Oh yeah I understand, I am like that too. But keep in mind that through technology you can save a lot of money, there is a misconception that if you buy the latest you are wasting money. For example there's a lot of people dropping their TV Cable company for Netflix which only cost 8 bucks a month and Hulu which is free. Also there's a lot of people dropping Comcast, DSL or Cox for Clear (4G Internet) which cost you less and you can use it anywhere you go.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
If i switch from Lan to 4G wireless... Does my Vonage Voip phone service will work the same as it works using the solid cable modem internet connection???

Yes i swichted to Vonage.
No more calling cards, I was wasting about 25. bucks monthly to call friends and family in DR, now only have to pay for Vonage service I can do national and international phone calls.

JJ

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
If i switch from Lan to 4G wireless... Does my Vonage Voip phone service will work the same as it works using the solid cable modem internet connection???

Yes i swichted to Vonage.
No more calling cards, I was wasting about 25. bucks monthly to call friends and family in DR, now only have to pay for Vonage service I can do national and international phone calls.

JJ

Yes, it should work the same but the reliability (services outages) specially at night hours is still not in it's optimum state. By next year that should get way better.

I would suggest you to try netflix with their trial of 1 free month and if you don't like it then cancel it with no charge. I kept it and I'm considering dropping my cable channels specially now that there's no MLB games around.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Bachata: Like Extreme said you can use technology to your advantage to save money. For instance you don't need Vonage per se. You could use Google Voice to call The DR for 6 cents a minute (this could save you some depending on how much you talk). I used to spend money on Internet access at airports (I travel a lot for business). I don't anymore as my phone now serves as my router and my connection is just as fast or faster than my home internet connection. As a matter of fact if it wasn't because my family needs internet when I'm not home I wouldn't even pay for internet (it's only 25 USD so not too bad).

With my current phone I don't need to buy a camera, camcorder, web cam or GPS as it has all of that.

I don't think Vonage will work the same with just 3G, but Google voice does very well. As a matter of fact if you have an Android phone it fully integrates with it so you can make all calls with it.

We're doing the Netflix trial right now. We're seeing if it could save us some money on movies (We watch a lot of them).

waverider

Sep 4, 2010
Excellent forum

Need to keep this active,, information is alot of help when I am trying to determine my next upgrades! thanks for everyone's input,, just alittle confusing,, but give me time to let information to sink in,, way to many beers :tired:

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I'd like to know their expansion plans for the north coast!!!! I sent an email lets see if I get an answer.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Bachata get HTC Hd2 and... no wait, Hd7 has windows 7 and you can... no, wait till december and get HTC desire HD and you will be able to impress chicks. Yeah thats it..
Hahahaha
4G is a disappointment, they are offering low speed and often even lower than codetel flash. 4G is only a name and the speed is same as any codetel dsl. They are offering the unlimited plan which can get your super high speed at the moment because not many have signed up yet. When they will have a ton of people using this service, the bandwidth will be shared with all, sort of like using an open wifi in a plaza. The unlimited speed may drop to a crawling dialup speed. I am disappointed with their promises and promotions. they had promised a lion and now offering a rat in exchange. The only advantage is, you can take the device between capital and santiago and you will have your internet and wifi. You can also get sip telephone with local DID number. so if you have a capital number and you are in santiago, you can make all calls to capital for free.
AZB

americanized

Nov 17, 2004
service outage?

Yes, it should work the same but the reliability (services outages) specially at night hours is still not in it's optimum state. By next year that should get way better.

I would suggest you to try netflix with their trial of 1 free month and if you don't like it then cancel it with no charge. I kept it and I'm considering dropping my cable channels specially now that there's no MLB games around.

ExtremeR, could you elaborate on "service outage speciallly at night"?