First steps to residency

marie_ela

Oct 4, 2010
Hi there, I don't know if you can help but I figured it was worth a try. I am a British woman and will be marrying a Dominican national next year. I am planning to move to the DR to live with my husband, I've been looking at the procedure to get the residence visa (the first step to becoming a resident) and I noticed that the applicant is required to send evidence of financial solvency- but what if I have no investments in the DR, does this mean I cannot qualify for a visa? I am very confused.

Any response would be much appreciated.

kind regards,

Marie

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I believe the easier path is by declaring yourself entitled to citizenship as the female spouse of a Dominican.

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
Would this also go for a foreign man marrying a Dominican woman? I read somewhere that it is not uniform. A foreign woman is automatically eligible for citizenship by marrying a Dominican man, but not the same for a foreign man marrying a Dominican woman? Hard to believe this is how it is...Does anybody know?

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
Another question also is if you are a foreign man and already own property in DR (Real Estate), does this make it more difficult for you to get residency-citizenship through marriage? The reason I ask is someone told me that having property and then applying for residency-citizenship though marriage can make things more difficult with the DR immigration office (additional costs or requirements?). I have no idea why as I would figure it would be the exact opposite.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Another question also is if you are a foreign man and already own property in DR (Real Estate), does this make it more difficult for you to get residency-citizenship through marriage? The reason I ask is someone told me that having property and then applying for residency-citizenship though marriage can make things more difficult with the DR immigration office (additional costs or requirements?). I have no idea why as I would figure it would be the exact opposite.

can't comment about Citizenship, I am just a long term Resident, no Citizen here.
I have been a property owner on the Isle before I applied for Residency, never did anybody ask me about ownership of property or similar during the Residency process, so it did not matter at all.
Mike