Where Can You Buy Cheap Prescription Meds...

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
In DR.....Specifically, La Capital...

Some of these pharmacies have outrageous prices. There has to be better pricing out there. Thanks.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there isn't.

fact 1: many "prescription drugs" are sold over the counter in DR (contraception, antibiotics, mild antidepressants.
fact 2: only selected pharmacies sell real prescription drugs (some pain medicine, hard core antidepressants).
fact 3: prices in pharmacies are to a point regulated by the government who set minimum profit margin.
fact 4: few normal pharmacies go above that margin.
fact 5: suspiciously low priced medicine is likely to be flour with sugar.
fact 6: medicine in DR is in gereral more expensive than in the USA, especially if imported
fact 7: dominican labs make lots of generic drugs so you may ask your doctor to prescribe you a pill with a different commercial name but the same substance.

good luck.

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
You wouldn't know where there is a list of prescription medicines and their equivalent produced generic names in DR? Thanks.

Feb 7, 2007
Check this out

:::...:::: Remedios para Todos..!!!

You may be able to buy some prescription meds there at very low prices.

This is government owned chain of pharmacies that sells the very basic meds, including antibiotics, insulin, etc. at prices even poor Dominicans can afford.

You can see the meds they carry and their corresponding rates here
:::...:::: Remedios para Todos..!!!

The meds are real meds. Cheaply made for DR government in India or Phillipines or some DR labs, but they do contain the active ingredient they say to contain.

Othe rpharmacies: ask for generics. "dame el generico que contiene el mismo ingrediente activo..." among the best generics are those made by ETHICAL pharmaceuticals - http://www.ethical.com.do/ . They are mid-range generics (good quality "material" and reasonable prices).

Reactions: Celt202

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this chain sells inly basic medicine, not prescription but the prices are indeed good ;)
for checking generic names - you really do not have to go that far. google the medicine you need and look for a name of the component. then look up the component in wikipedia and click on a spanish version, now you have a name of an active substance in spanish. take yo your doctor or to the pharmacy, they know medicines by commercial name and the substance too.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no, i meant government pharmacy, they have basics. there is one, i think, in a hospital in POP but people still come to our pharmacy with recetas from richardo limardo (public hospital) so i guess they may not be well stocked, who knows.

online pharmacy may be the best, i dare to say, with american prices and no need for a prescription from a local doctor.

btw, i must warn that pharmacies selling prescription meds lack customer service somewhat. whenever i call with any question on behalf of dr1ers they always treat me like a junkie desperately looking for another fix, even thou they know i call from another pharmacy. :)

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
Hey Rubio, thanks for the great information. I found a location near me for these 'Farmacia del Pueblo'. Are these open to the public to purchase meds? I am going to try and go by tomorrow and see if the pricing is anywhere near what they have on the website.

Buster1

Mar 25, 2009
what about crestor which is used for high chlosterol can that be purchased down there cheaper?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
crestor contains rosuvastatina and this substance is not on the list in the farmacia del pueblo. they have simvastatina thou.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Translated list from laboratoriosalfa.com in the DR for drugs they make.

Google Translate

The DR script i have is RD1000/100 tabs in Moca, RD1500 in Santiago and RD3500 in Sosua. When bought in the states without insurance the same script was $128. So even in Sosua the tabs are cheaper.

I have found that all generic drugs in the DR are much cheaper than the generics in the states that need a script without insurance.

Now when it comes to over the counter drugs in the USA they are much cheaper than the DR. Cold pill, tylenol, motrin, aleve, vitamins, ect. are dirt cheap compared to the DR.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Does anyone have a name and number for a pharmacy in Moca? Thanks, PM if you want. :)

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
What Pharmacy in Moca? There must be tens of them ...

I mean of a highly recommended person in Moca, who can give great prices. The guys that sell those samples in volume cheap.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
not to put you off but moca is somewhat famous for fake medicine...

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
not to put you off but moca is somewhat famous for fake medicine...

That is why you have to check the packaging. Ethical and Alfa laboratories are 2 legit pill makers in the DR.

Luperon, i also go to a farmacia in Jamao called Tropicana 809-970-8119 that has great prices for Dominican generics. I find the further from the city or tourist areas things get cheaper.

Always helps to call 1st: http://paginasamarillas.com.do/Buscador-neg/class-Farmacias/cc-059300/tc-2856/na-27/fs-26

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
J.
I bet you never knew dv8 owns a farmacia!

T'

Yes Tambo, i knew that. I am sure dv8 knows much more than myself. Not sure where the farmacia is but if it is near Sosua of POP i am sure the prices are double of what i pay. In Santiago or the Capital 50% more. I have seen crazy price differences all around the North Coast and Santiago area.

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
Does anyone know what the situation is with importing NON-prescription drugs from overseas to the DR. I am trying to get a drug which I can get on pharmacy.ca as non-prescription, but I don't fancy bombing so much money to find aduanas confiscate it.