Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Where Can You Buy Cheap Prescription Meds...

In DR.....Specifically, La Capital...

Some of these pharmacies have outrageous prices. There has to be better pricing out there. Thanks.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

there isn't.

fact 1: many "prescription drugs" are sold over the counter in DR (contraception, antibiotics, mild antidepressants.
    fact 2: only selected pharmacies sell real prescription drugs (some pain medicine, hard core antidepressants).
    fact 3: prices in pharmacies are to a point regulated by the government who set minimum profit margin.
    fact 4: few normal pharmacies go above that margin.
    fact 5: suspiciously low priced medicine is likely to be flour with sugar.
    fact 6: medicine in DR is in gereral more expensive than in the USA, especially if imported
    fact 7: dominican labs make lots of generic drugs so you may ask your doctor to prescribe you a pill with a different commercial name but the same substance.

good luck.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

You wouldn't know where there is a list of prescription medicines and their equivalent produced generic names in DR? Thanks.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Check this out

:::...:::: Remedios para Todos..!!!

You may be able to buy some prescription meds there at very low prices.

This is government owned chain of pharmacies that sells the very basic meds, including antibiotics, insulin, etc. at prices even poor Dominicans can afford.

You can see the meds they carry and their corresponding rates here
    :::...:::: Remedios para Todos..!!!

The meds are real meds. Cheaply made for DR government in India or Phillipines or some DR labs, but they do contain the active ingredient they say to contain.

Othe rpharmacies: ask for generics. "dame el generico que contiene el mismo ingrediente activo..." among the best generics are those made by ETHICAL pharmaceuticals - http://www.ethical.com.do/ . They are mid-range generics (good quality "material" and reasonable prices).

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

this chain sells inly basic medicine, not prescription but the prices are indeed good
    for checking generic names - you really do not have to go that far. google the medicine you need and look for a name of the component. then look up the component in wikipedia and click on a spanish version, now you have a name of an active substance in spanish. take yo your doctor or to the pharmacy, they know medicines by commercial name and the substance too.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

no, i meant government pharmacy, they have basics. there is one, i think, in a hospital in POP but people still come to our pharmacy with recetas from richardo limardo (public hospital) so i guess they may not be well stocked, who knows.

online pharmacy may be the best, i dare to say, with american prices and no need for a prescription from a local doctor.

btw, i must warn that pharmacies selling prescription meds lack customer service somewhat. whenever i call with any question on behalf of dr1ers they always treat me like a junkie desperately looking for another fix, even thou they know i call from another pharmacy.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Rubio, thanks for the great information. I found a location near me for these 'Farmacia del Pueblo'. Are these open to the public to purchase meds? I am going to try and go by tomorrow and see if the pricing is anywhere near what they have on the website.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

ANDY: Yes Farmacia del Pueblo is what is PromeseCal.

From my experience the prices are the same as published. For example I bought 60 Ibuprofen pills for 30 pesos which is same as RD$0.50 per pill.

WINDEGUY: There are many on the North Coast. here are the locations. Your best bet is the ones located in/near the big public hospitals.

http://www.promesecal.gov.do/documen...IRECCIONES.pdf

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

what about crestor which is used for high chlosterol can that be purchased down there cheaper?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

crestor contains rosuvastatina and this substance is not on the list in the farmacia del pueblo. they have simvastatina thou.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast